OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

When's the refurb supposed to happen? Is it likely to be finished by next September, when we're likely to head back to OKW?
The people who know aren't talking and the people who are talking don't know.

It was supposed to start earlier this year, then summer, then fall. DVC hasn't said a word since spring.

When's the refurb supposed to happen? Is it likely to be finished by next September, when we're likely to head back to OKW?

I can tell you that as of last Thursday, I didn't see anything being done (at least externally). But, we were on the canal so not sure about Miller Road, etc.

We left yesterday, buildings 32-33 were walled off on Monday, 30-31 were walled off on Tuesday.
Curtains were down and you could see workers inside the units.

The park buses run Peninsular Road -> South Point -> Turtle Pond -> Miller's Road -> Hospitality House. IIRC, the Disney Springs bus stops at HH at the start and end of its run, then departs for Disney Springs.

The Springs bus is the "internal shuttle" option; that's why it stops at HH first and last. However, there was a dedicated internal shuttle running AT TIMES when we were there. We saw it at HH a few times, but it never pulled into our Miller's Road stop.

We never had to stand when leaving OKW, only when returning from parks. Miller's Road is the last stop, but most buses pulled in with no more than 10 people on board. Granted, the parks didn't seem very busy when we were there (Jul. 25 - Aug. 1). YMMV.

We just booked our first OKW stay for May 2018. This will also be our 1st trip in 10+ years without a vehicle. So we will be relying on bus transportation. We do have a room booked near the HH House. With the HH bus stop being the last stop I was thinking that would be the stop we would use to catch the bus leaving the resort. My only concern/question was during busy times of the day like in the morning is it possible that the bus might be full before reaching the HH stop and bypass that stop all together?

The bus may be standing room only and have no room for any wheelchairs or ecv. If you want to get on at the first bus stop and ride through the resort, you will virtually be guaranteed a seat. It is only a short walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop.

Last edited:
We were there for two weeks in the summer and never once was the bus full. We got a seat on the majority of occasions :-)

The bus may be standing room only and have no room for any wheelchairs or ecv. If you want to get on at the first bus stop and ride through the resort, you will virtually be guaranteed a seat. It is only a short walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop.

We were there for two weeks in the summer and never once was the bus full. We got a seat on the majority of occasions :-)

Thanks, that's good to know. We wouldn't mind standing if we have to, we just wouldn't want to miss out on a bus because by the time it got to the HH stop it was too full and skipped that stop.

We never had to stand on the bus during our recent two week visit. However, the bus to MK in the AM was the most crowded (tied for AK at the end of the night). Epcot and HS buses were practically empty the entire time.

Agree that Peninsular Road stop is a winner to/from all parks.

I have changed to okw from POR due to the dog situation and thrilled as we loved it last year. I’ve just seen on Disney Food blog that the pool bar at POR has started to do the frose cocktail which is my favourite cocktail at hard rock hotel. Does anyone know if these have started at OKW as well?

We have stayed in building 14 a couple of times, and like it. Right across from HH, and the bus stop there. However, we also stayed in building 26, which I think we slightly preferred. We always use the buses, so the Peninsular stop if the first pick up / drop off for the parks. It was great as we were first stop after a long day at the parks, but in the mornings, we took the short stroll over the bridge, across the road, and the walkway down to the HH bus stop to head right out to the parks.

Claire :)

We have stayed in building 14 a couple of times, and like it. Right across from HH, and the bus stop there. However, we also stayed in building 26, which I think we slightly preferred. We always use the buses, so the Peninsular stop if the first pick up / drop off for the parks. It was great as we were first stop after a long day at the parks, but in the mornings, we took the short stroll over the bridge, across the road, and the walkway down to the HH bus stop to head right out to the parks.

Claire :)
thanks for that awesome detailed info!

It depends upon whether I'm driving or flying to WDW. WHen I drive and book HH, I prefer bldgs 23 to 26, as parking in 11 to 14 can sometime be rough. WHen I travel solo, I often book near HH. When traveling with a group, I do not, as we'd want the additional restroom entry through the laundry room in 1 and 2 bedroom units.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts