OKW not starting off well

Sorry, but when someone starts out complaining because a request isn't met, they lose me. Any room location is a request, you are not guaranteed to get it. You asked for a different location, and they accommodated you. That complaint is not valid imho.

Certainly agree with you there. Haven’t there been a few murders in Disney’s Celebration Village?

That said, if safety was the larger concern, simply asking someone to check the room would be easier than switching rooms completely (and even the second room had an unlocked door so not much different). Seems like a moot point though since the larger concern appears to be what giant Florida bugs could have gone in there in the 6+ hours it was open, which is a very reasonable issue for many.

To be clear, I checked because if safety. I moved because canal, Florida, hours, rain, door wide open .

As an aside, I am currently eating at Chicken Guy (why, I do not know) noticing, in addition to the Disney security the very real (guns) presence of the Sheriff's office patrolling on a quiet Thursday afternoon.

Sorry, but when someone starts out complaining because a request isn't met, they lose me. Any room location is a request, you are not guaranteed to get it. You asked for a different location, and they accommodated you. That complaint is not valid imho.

But would be valid? Bad housekeeping/security is okay because I asked for a top floor? Had the windows been broken, air conditioning not working, room flooded, toilet erupting been okay because I asked for a top floor? Please explain the logic...

Are you a DVC owner?

ETA I merely asked because I was shooed off a thread on the resorts board b/c as a DVC owner I apparently cannot have an opinion on the hotel side.....

I feel you, with the rain, the humidity and the creepy crawlies, I wouldn't have stayed in that villa either! And I never get a text at OKW... I do pre-check in, it's great that you can go straight to your villa, hard to do when you don't know where in the heck it is! Rough start, but things are looking up! Have a marvelous time, even if you can't do anything about the decor. After the last OKW refurb of dark stained re-purposed bargain basement furniture, OKW seems to be the red headed stepchild of DVC resorts. It's a crappy way to treat the "ONE" that started it all! (Ginger's please don't take offense)

My husband loves it. :confused3

We always request top floor, prefer not to hear anyone walking above us and we feel more secure. Many travelers love having a first floor because they feel it is easier perhaps for kids to play outside.
I like top floor as well but when the kids were little (3-4 boys) I booked 1st floor, I didn't want the other guests to feel like the upper floor was housing a heard of elephants!

number one arrived at 10 p.m. still no room assignment

Non issue until it becomes 4pm.

number two went to desk they had me on ground floor even though every single time I stay in every single time I spoke to them and we're talking about what 18 hours ago I still reiterated my request for the top floor

<rolling stones> once said "you can't always get what you want"

number 3 they didn't need anything for me to check in I had indeed done it online I'm a pro I've been at this for a long time

number for they gave me one of my favorite rooms in the entire Resort I climbed up here dragging all of my luggage -.my choice.- before anybody flames me - to be on the top floor I traveled alone this evening so I hauled it all up

Dont understand the issue

number 5 I did my regular room check because I do travel alone as a female and I want to know what's in the room and was horrified to go in the bedroom and find the balcony door wide open at 10 at night so now I'm waiting for bell services to come to move me to another room in another building because they don't have any others in this building

I think thats just crazy to expect to have a new room because someone left a door unlocked. Unless you are saying this is hours after you checked in.

PS Deb if you see this it is horrible the decor is beyond words it's looks like they took the bed from Polly and the top of the Hope Chest from Grand Floridian clearly the rug and pillows are meant for The Yacht & Beach Resort the rainbow chairs are filthy in the kitchen the granite is from some cheap motel somewhere and it doesn't match so it's one kind on the island and a different kind in the kitchen it really looks disjointed and bad oh it looks like Animal Kingdom valances and shades it looks like they took all the leftovers from all the other Resorts and shove them into here sorry to be such a drag I am thrilled to be here

you need a drink and need to relax

But would be valid? Bad housekeeping/security is okay because I asked for a top floor? Had the windows been broken, air conditioning not working, room flooded, toilet erupting been okay because I asked for a top floor? Please explain the logic...

A request not being met is not bad anything. And is way different than something being broken. Can't believe I even have to explain that.

The valid reasons to change a room you go to is if there's a not easily fixable problem with the room. If there's a concern for safety in the room, leave and call them to come check it out, problem solved. You'd have to either wait in the room or leave the room anyway to change so the risks and effort are the same either way. Maybe even better staying in the same room and checked out. Expecting a room request of 3rd floor for security concerns is unreasonable. From a housekeeping standpoint they could move you or take care of reasonable concerns, the latter the best solution for most situations.

Non issue until it becomes 4pm.

<rolling stones> once said "you can't always get what you want"

Dont understand the issue

I think thats just crazy to expect to have a new room because someone left a door unlocked. Unless you are saying this is hours after you checked in.

you need a drink and need to relax

Ummm...if she checked in at 10PM-- doesn't that mean its an issue since its after 4PM???

Also...the point wasn't getting another room because the door was unlocked...it was left wide open. It is now 10pm at night in Florida. Lord only knows what creepy crawly's came in. I wouldn't want a room either if the door was wide open for who knows how long. That was careless on Disney's fault for leaving the door open like that.

Ummm...if she checked in at 10PM-- doesn't that mean its an issue since its after 4PM???

Also...the point wasn't getting another room because the door was unlocked...it was left wide open. It is now 10pm at night in Florida. Lord only knows what creepy crawly's came in. I wouldn't want a room either if the door was wide open for who knows how long. That was careless on Disney's fault for leaving the door open like that.

I do not believe there was not a room assignment, just that they did not get the text on the room after doing online check in. For me, that's also a non-complaint or certainly not awful as it's a fairly common thing to happen. I'd guess that with online check-in we've gotten texts that actually have a room number 50-60% of the time. It would be nice to have it be closer to 100% since it's offered but it doesn't. When they went to the desk they found out the room they were assigned to that they could go directly to and it was a ground floor which did not meet their requested floor.

To be clear, I checked because if safety. I moved because canal, Florida, hours, rain, door wide open .

As an aside, I am currently eating at Chicken Guy (why, I do not know) noticing, in addition to the Disney security the very real (guns) presence of the Sheriff's office patrolling on a quiet Thursday afternoon.

This a very good thing IMO. I’d like to think they have more than a few plain clothes officers about throughout all the various parks, not just Disney.

I do not believe there was not a room assignment, just that they did not get the text on the room after doing online check in. For me, that's also a non-complaint or certainly not awful as it's a fairly common thing to happen. I'd guess that with online check-in we've gotten texts that actually have a room number 50-60% of the time. It would be nice to have it be closer to 100% since it's offered but it doesn't. When they went to the desk they found out the room they were assigned to that they could go directly to and it was a ground floor which did not meet their requested floor.

Last two out of three visits, no text messages by 3 pm. Called resort from park and they advised of room#.

I believe that the later you arrive, irregardless of online check-in, the more apt you are to have a less than stellar accommodation. And some resorts, OKW being amongst the guilty, don’t give you a room assignment for that very same reason! Last year, one of my F&W weekends, I arrived at midnight, had done online check-in, but still had to go to the lobby, no text, no e-mail, hard to know where your villa is. 1st time I ever landed by the noisy bus turnaround by the highway. BLT, AKV, always get texts, OKW never!

I believe that the later you arrive, irregardless of online check-in, the more apt you are to have a less than stellar accommodation. And some resorts, OKW being amongst the guilty, don’t give you a room assignment for that very same reason! Last year, one of my F&W weekends, I arrived at midnight, had done online check-in, but still had to go to the lobby, no text, no e-mail, hard to know where your villa is. 1st time I ever landed by the noisy bus turnaround by the highway. BLT, AKV, always get texts, OKW never!

IDK about that, with online checkin things seem to have changed at majority of ‘our’ resorts.

BW we do tend to get the general area/floor we want. My thoughts are people don’t really care where they land there for standard view as long as it’s close to elevator, we are opposite and request the quieter end section.

AKV, we book the value studios but have been lucky the last 4 or 5 trips to be upgraded to standard view, once a non-value savannah, woot!

WL, we have been rewarded with the bus/dumpster views the last few times lol. We always stop in early in the am to drop our luggage & reconfirm our tend to do split stays there wherein we park & drop luggage before grabbing boat to MK. We reiterate our hopeful request as to general location, this in addition to using touringplans fax system. Our recent three-peat of an assigned room area is the furthered room facing front of resort/dumpster backstage area. Noisy in the am and surely not picturesque.

I don’t think squeaky wheels are getting the grease anymore. It’s probably the way it should be, luck of the draw within the category you have booked and taking into account the limited selections they offer online.

Engineering spent quite some time with us last night. Front door would not lock. It would push right open. Started with screwdrivers, ended up with drills and files...

Thank you to those who get the balcony door thing. Wde open for hours at day/night in Florida near the canal...

I didn't go to the first room - checked in at front desk at 10 p.m. - asked if upper floor was available. CM said there were many (plethora) if two beds. Walked into first - balcony door wide open. Called front desk. Moved to current room. Both those balcony doors were unlocked. Bedroom balcony not really closed (1-2") but touching door frame.

Engineering there for 45 mins last night to fix front door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts