OKW, SSR, or AKV?

stampinshauna

Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise L
Help! It's been a few years since I've been to "the world" and I can't decide where to stay. 4 of us, including a 2 and a 5 year old. Staying for a week in a studio and we don't want to move resorts. Would like some decent food options at the resort although we'll have some groceries delivered. We only have the 3 options due to availability, and I would love some opinions. Here's what I think of the 3, please add your thoughts....

AKV--kids would love the animals, we stayed there once
and it was fine although I remember the rooms seemed pretty dark, lots of walking down hallways, don't know that I'd want a whole week there

OKW--stayed there once too and loved it, brighter rooms, not walking down hallways but more time on a bus, rooms near Hospitality House are not available, 2nd bed a real bed and not a pull-out, rooms are a little bigger, resort is older but didn't it have a major refurb recently?

SSR--haven't stayed there yet but have toured the rooms and liked the decor, close to DTD so more food options, huge resort but so is OKW, transportation a lot like OKW, more themed pools

What am I missing? What are your thoughts?

OKW had a refurb recently, yes. i think SSR did as well.

but you basically have the idea...just decide what you'd like to do...

With the new feature pool and bar at the Springs section, SSR now has 2 QS with the TS, and that new pool area may be very nice for the younger ones (but farther from DTD than Congress Park with its plain pool.

The Kidani pool is great for younger ones, but terrible for restaurant access. Jambo is still my favorite for in-resort dining. But overall with DVC, I have learned to find more dining in parks (and its not much different to eat in a park, then go to your room vs going back then eating at the resort)

But if you can plan to go to DTD several times, then I think you will have a very nice SSR trip.

Can't help much I love all three! As far as AKV, I prefer Kidani to Jambo, not as dark and better layout, but there is no food court there, only a pool bar/rest and Sanaa!

Buses don't bother me so SSR & OKW I love for their proximity to DTD! With little ones any of these have themed pools with slides, hard to say! Personally we only stay in 2br's so for a studio stay it would come down to the need for 2 beds or a couch instead of the 2nd bed!

Good luck!

Hi Shauna!

Did you make any decisions? When is your trip?

We've stayed at all three places and like them all for different reasons. If I had to pick a studio for a week, however, I would probably choose OKW for the "regular" second bed.

Hope you and Kevin and the kids are doing great!

Hi Shauna!

Did you make any decisions? When is your trip?

We've stayed at all three places and like them all for different reasons. If I had to pick a studio for a week, however, I would probably choose OKW for the "regular" second bed.

Hope you and Kevin and the kids are doing great!

We were there last week. We ended up at SSR because by the time I booked it was the only one with all 8 nights. It was a nice resort and I'd stay there again. We really liked the Paddock kids splash area. Now we've tried all of the DVC resorts at WDW. I personally prefer those in walking distance to EPCOT, but if I couldn't get those, I think SSR and OKW would be next on my list. If I had a car, I'd definitely go with SSR or OKW.

SSR is my sec fav resort. I can only give opinions over AK.. as I haven't stayed at OKW.

SSR is manicured to prefection. There is a pool near every bldg almost, everything has bus stops very close. The artists pallet is my fav QS of all resorts for breakfasts, ( the ambiance is gorgeous) and DTD has more dinner choices than everything except those walking dist to Epcot. .. also a steak house near Artists Pallet.

Down side, 4 bus stops every single trip. OYE it gets boring stopping so much.. once in a blue moon they add in OKW too and then it is more.

AK we ending on the end of a hallway feeling like 2 million miles long, and the halls were dark. It was too far to walk and fill up pop cup/coffee in the AM, and tiring at the end of a long day. The bus transport back to the resort from MK is far, it is a solid 20 mins more with traffic, and with 2 kids, a stoller and 3 bags stand room only after park closes is tough even if you are on the 1st bus.
IMO without a rental car, I would pick a value of AKV. With a rental car it is more than acceptable. (Parking at Kidani near the elevator nearest to the room.) There is 2 good restaraunts there, but not american food. the QS is a long walk from Kid. and is limited at best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter