OKW WiFi Post Renovation -Help Needed

Stevehank

Disney Fan
We will be spending ten days at OKW in November. I will need to do some work via Zoom during that period, and with the parks closing at early hours, we would like to be able to do some video streaming for the kids. The last time we stayed at OKW, the WiFi was barely useable to surf the web. I am hoping that they increased the bandwith and improved the service when they did the recent renovations. I know that WDW released a program to update the WiFi at their resorts, but with the recent budget cuts and not finding any information about OKW's WiFi speed, I thought I would ask the question and see if our group knows the current state of the WiFi service at OKW.

How fast is it currently?
I was also wondering if someone who is staying at OKW would be willing un a speed test at speedtest.net and post the results for all to see.

We will be staying at the villas near the Hospitality House.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Thanks for the assist. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Bump to see if anyone has had any experiences with the Wifi at OKW post renovation and would be willing to share their thoughts.

Wanted to check to see if anyone has stayed at OKW recently and can help out by commenting on the speed of the wifi for work Zoom calls and streaming in the evening. It would really help if I could get this information. Much appreciated.

I haven’t but if you run into trouble you should call for tech help. Sometimes a router needs rebooted.

We're here now and internet speed/capacity has been... okay. I've run a couple of speed tests - varying results from 6Mbit down/5Mbit up to about 20Mbit down/6Mbit up.

There are times though - especially in the evening - when the overall connection seems to get saturated. This makes sense with so little open/available in the evening there are more people likely to be online/streaming/surfing than normal.

We've been able to stream a whole movie (Avatar) on our laptop as well as a bunch of Netflix (The Good Place) with very few breakups. The movie was in the evening and the show streaming was during the afternoon on a non-park day.

I haven't done Zoom, but for me I rely on the internet connection of my phone if doing streaming/work.

Hope this helps.

I think it would be to be expected that in the evening the system will become a bottleneck, with the parks closed so early everyone will be back in their room trying to use the internet for some entertainment. I would not count too much on streaming being available. I would recommend to download a few films into a tablet or PC (all the major streaming services allow this, Disney+ included) as a backup option.
Maybe you can get a chromecast to be able to broadcast the feed into the TV.

I think it would be to be expected that in the evening the system will become a bottleneck, with the parks closed so early everyone will be back in their room trying to use the internet for some entertainment. I would not count too much on streaming being available. I would recommend to download a few films into a tablet or PC (all the major streaming services allow this, Disney+ included) as a backup option.
Maybe you can get a chromecast to be able to broadcast the feed into the TV.
Good advice, IMO. At BWV, Wi-Fi was a problem in the evenings and in the mornings before park opening times even before the pandemic. It wasn't designed for everyone to stream at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter