OMG - oh my - could it be a wedding? Need some ideas

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
Hi,
So, I am planning a trip in September for my DD and her DF. Both active duty soldiers. Turns out this may be a wedding trip. WOWeeeeee

My questions is - in this thinking stage (get the smelling salts) - has anyone done a ceremony at OKW? I am thinking immediate family only (scattered) - ceremony and then dinner + cake. I am also asking - must it be Disney coordinated? Can a group of guests stand off to a corner at the resort and have a quick ceremony?

All of the guests would be staying on points (we'll talk later about this - will need to rent - Oy Vey - I could have banked a whole year if I knew! TG I can borrow a full year and it is the low season) What are the options? Dinner could be a sit down (just a normal table for 25(?)- with a cake. People could order whatever off the menu. Could be Olivia's; could be another restaurant.

Rethinking every purchase I ever made - wishing I could wave a wand and just do the whole shebang without a care of the final $.

It won't be grand - It would be memorable - it would be special. I am fairly certain none of the groom's family has been to WDW.

Head is spinning. Any thoughts?

I have heard that it does have to be arranged by Disney but I could be wrong. I think you can make a reservation at any TS restaurant but I am not sure how many people you can make an ADR for. I hope others will post too. I am interested in knowing too!!! How exciting!! Congrats!! Have fun planning.

I have heard that it does have to be arranged by Disney but I could be wrong. I think you can make a reservation at any TS restaurant but I am not sure how many people you can make an ADR for. I hope others will post too. I am interested in knowing too!!! How exciting!! Congrats!! Have fun planning.

I love planning but this might put me over the edge. LOL

Hi,
So, I am planning a trip in September for my DD and her DF. Both active duty soldiers. Turns out this may be a wedding trip. WOWeeeeee

My questions is - in this thinking stage (get the smelling salts) - has anyone done a ceremony at OKW? I am thinking immediate family only (scattered) - ceremony and then dinner + cake. I am also asking - must it be Disney coordinated? Can a group of guests stand off to a corner at the resort and have a quick ceremony?

All of the guests would be staying on points (we'll talk later about this - will need to rent - Oy Vey - I could have banked a whole year if I knew! TG I can borrow a full year and it is the low season) What are the options? Dinner could be a sit down (just a normal table for 25(?)- with a cake. People could order whatever off the menu. Could be Olivia's; could be another restaurant.

Rethinking every purchase I ever made - wishing I could wave a wand and just do the whole shebang without a care of the final $.

It won't be grand - It would be memorable - it would be special. I am fairly certain none of the groom's family has been to WDW.

Head is spinning. Any thoughts?

Yes, any weddings that occur on Disney property are supposed to be arranged through Disney Fairytale Weddings. Technically speaking, they could kick you off property and ban you for trying to have a wedding not arranged through DFTW. That said, OKW is not a site they use for weddings so you may get away with it but I would think long and hard about whether or not you want to risk it.

That said, given both your DD and her DF are active duty military they would qualify for a wedding at Shades of Green on Disney property. I have no military connection at all so I didn't look into it when we planned our DFTW but from what I understand they are much more inexpensive and much more flexible than DFTW is to work with so that may be an option for you.

As I understand it they are VERY strict with any attempts at wedding related things happening on property not arranged through DFTW. Even at OKW I don't see them allowing anybody to get away with it. This extends to dinner at Olivia's too, if you bring in a wedding cake they may ask you to leave. I understand, though not necessarily agree with why they do it. There is a value to paying their, let's say lucrative, prices to get married there and allowing anybody to get married there without paying cheapens that. That and there would likely be dozens of groups standing off to a corner for a quick ceremony every weekend if they allowed it.

Best of luck to you and the soon-to-be newlyweds.

If you do it inside the villa, it would be ok, but yes Disney is very strict about weddings. DFTW is very expensive, however Shades of Green is a good option. There is also the Swan and Dolphin and some locations at Disney Springs run by Just Marry, and also some of the Disney Springs hotels have options. We had looked into each option but ultimately spent the money on Disneys Fairytale Weddings.

If you do it inside the villa, it would be ok, but yes Disney is very strict about weddings. DFTW is very expensive, however Shades of Green is a good option. There is also the Swan and Dolphin and some locations at Disney Springs run by Just Marry, and also some of the Disney Springs hotels have options. We had looked into each option but ultimately spent the money on Disneys Fairytale Weddings.

Inside the villa!! Never occurred to me. Something to think about. Thank you.

As I understand it they are VERY strict with any attempts at wedding related things happening on property not arranged through DFTW. Even at OKW I don't see them allowing anybody to get away with it. This extends to dinner at Olivia's too, if you bring in a wedding cake they may ask you to leave. I understand, though not necessarily agree with why they do it. There is a value to paying their, let's say lucrative, prices to get married there and allowing anybody to get married there without paying cheapens that. That and there would likely be dozens of groups standing off to a corner for a quick ceremony every weekend if they allowed it.

Best of luck to you and the soon-to-be newlyweds.

I would order the cake through Disney for dinner. It would be a regular dinner with a cake. I imagine people celebrate graduations, engagements, etc... all the time.

Yes, any weddings that occur on Disney property are supposed to be arranged through Disney Fairytale Weddings. Technically speaking, they could kick you off property and ban you for trying to have a wedding not arranged through DFTW. That said, OKW is not a site they use for weddings so you may get away with it but I would think long and hard about whether or not you want to risk it.

That said, given both your DD and her DF are active duty military they would qualify for a wedding at Shades of Green on Disney property. I have no military connection at all so I didn't look into it when we planned our DFTW but from what I understand they are much more inexpensive and much more flexible than DFTW is to work with so that may be an option for you.

Shades of Green it very affordable! I had no idea.

We got married through Disney in 2013. We did the package that only allows 6 guests. Pricing is expensive but not when you compare it to the crazy amount people spend on weddings everywhere. It was perfect for us. Then we had a big celebration at home!

My brother and SIL wanted to do a vow renewal for their 10 year anniversary at Disney last August. We spent a lot of time thinking about finding a quiet corner in SSR where we were staying. There were only 8 of us so small group.

We ended up deciding to play it safe and do it in the room. The day before I discovered a pretty pavilion on the lake in a remote corner of the resort. We thought about it. But finally decided the logistics would be too much of a hassle.

We had a sweet ceremony in the dining area of our 2 bedroom suite (we shifted furniture around), then walked to Disney Springs to take pics in the Photopass studio with a bunch of cool backdrops - all free with our Memory Maker. They got some amazing photos here. We were originally planning to go to MK to take Castle photos but they wanted to eat in Disney Springs and we decided transportation would be too much hassle.

I would order the cake through Disney for dinner. It would be a regular dinner with a cake. I imagine people celebrate graduations, engagements, etc... all the time.

Keep in mind if you have an ADR inside a park she wouldn't be able to wear her dress if the event isn't coordinated through DFTW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter