One-Day tours in Tokyo

disneyobsessed808

DIS Veteran
Our trip is about a month away, and we are deciding what to do on our last day in Tokyo. We really have just one day open, so we are wondering whether it is worth it to do a 1-day tour. Anyone have any experience with this? We were looking at JTB tours or the tour through Viator? If I were traveling solo, I wouldn't sign up for a tour, but as I'm with my mom, I was wondering if its worth it. Do the tour guides give you a ton more information? It would also help with possible confusion of navigating the city.

My wife and I did a one day tour with Greyline when we were there in July 2014. The itinerary was good but it was awfully hot and humid and the bus AC couldn’t keep up. We went up Tokyo tower, saw the meji shrine and the gates to the palace, walked through a garden, had lunch, took a boat up the Sumita river and ended at the temple in Asakusa. We also drove by a couple of other sites. If it hadn’t been so hot, it would have been very enjoyable, as it’s a good way to see a lot of the major sites in the city.

We did a one-day tour to Mt Fuji (as we weren't confident about navigating public transport all the way to the mountain).

But, for attractions in and around Tokyo itself, we generally just DIY as we find the subway efficient and easy.

Your signature indicates you've been to Japan before... what prompted you to think about signing up for a tour?

FWIW, Viator is a third party vendor, they are not the tour providers. Therefore their tours are usually more expensive than what you could book yourself. I suggest you look here for some ideas of what might appeal to you. You can completely customize your time and get a top-quality expereince.https://triplelights.com/japan/tokyo

But, for attractions in and around Tokyo itself, we generally just DIY as we find the subway efficient and easy.

I agree with this, hop on the Yamanote line which hits most of the major areas you'd probably want to visit: Shibuya, Shinjuku, Imperial Palace, Akihabara, Ginza and others.

Thanks for the help everyone. We decided that we will just tour on our own without a group tour.

Your signature indicates you've been to Japan before... what prompted you to think about signing up for a tour?

My older brother suggested one, as he has been before and enjoyed them.

My older brother suggested one, as he has been before and enjoyed them.

My wife and I joke about this...
There are two types of people: tourists and travelers.

TOURISTS board those double decker tour buses because they want to see everything in a small window.
TRAVELERS don't and instead do their own thing. After all, if they really enjoy a city that much, they'd be confident that they'll return in the future.

Sounds like your brother is a tourist, but you and your mom are travelers! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!