One particular owner of most DCL Facebook groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I can see. We are on the same cruise. The poster expressed interest in FE, someone else also asked about it and then a third participant chimed in that, "we are signed up for a FE via the FB page." Then they asked for the link to the FB page and I explained that we could not provide that here. Unless @CanuckOnaBoat is on another cruise and was told to go elsewhere, then it's this one: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...anean-barcelona-to-rome-june-16-2018.3581047/
There was a reply to my question with the date of the cruise meet thread. And said the posts in question have been deleted.

There was a reply to my question with the date of the cruise meet thread. And said the posts in question have been deleted.

That was a different person that replied, though. The person who said they were told to go elsewhere is a different poster than the person that replied to your response.

That was a different person that replied, though. The person who said they were told to go elsewhere is a different poster than the person that replied to your response.
Yes, I know. Nonetheless, that thread specified also, apparently, had issues with people being directed to another site when they asked about Fish Extenders.

My 16 year old daughter is going to Costa Rica for a week long school travel trip and does not need any additional immunizations. this is the 7th time our school has gone to Costa Rica so they are familiar with immunization requirements. I know my husband went to Ecuador in August and his PMD had him get some kind of immunization that was completely unnecessary and we had to pay $100 for it. Just be ware that MDs are not always correct on what is needed for travel.

Correct no yellow fever in Costa Rica, however they require if you have been in Columbia (even in transit) to have proof of immunisation. That is why your daughter doesn’t need it.

Too be honest I got it not because I think there is any risk of getting it, but purely for immigration reasons in Costa Rica and on returning to Australia.

That doesn’t explain how she becomes an admin.
I wonder if she is joining group and offering to "help" by becoming an admin, and the original admin makes her an admin of the group. If you don't know her background you mights be willing to get the help especially from someone who runs a large FE group.

I think I know of at least one person this happened to. I also know of an instance where they pressured someone else into making her FB cruise group, that was started first, into a secret group so their group would be the main group for the cruise. They are very manipulative.

I think the point of this post is to let people know they are not the only ones who have been manipulated, bullied or banned from FB group that she and her friends run and to be wary of them.

I had no issues with her on the FB page FE SHOP/SELL GROUP. There are plenty of people on there offering FE gifts for sale. So not sure what people are referring to....

She was not involved in our August 2017 cruise nor our November 2017 cruise.

Last edited:
A few years ago (don't know if she's still doing this or not), she would start cruise pages as soon as dates were released, even though she was not cruising on that particular sailing. She would then admin/control the page, claiming to "help out". When asked, she would NOT hand over any of the FE groups to those actually sailing, she monitors every little thing and has so many rules, everything has to be done her way. I figured out part way that she wasn't on our actual cruise (she won't admit it on the page and deletes any negative posts), and I was made out to be the bad guy for asking and implying she didn't have pure intentions...

She persuades an unsuspecting admin that she could "help" with the group since she has so much experience. It's done. Not everyone realizes what she is about. I've heard but don't know for sure that she has set up groups before an outside admin has a chance to set up.

Facebook is significantly less private than this board. I'm not thrilled about that aspect.
This is not true. Here, anyone who comes to the DIS boards can look at any cruise group and see what's going on. On FB you can make the group private, and most cruise groups are. This means you must be added by the admin. If the settings are right, no-one who is not in the group can view what is on the page.

Yes, I know. Nonetheless, that thread specified also, apparently, had issues with people being directed to another site when they asked about Fish Extenders.

i am so sorry! i didn't think about my words before my post. it's my fault. i really feel awful. i joined my cruise thread on this board - and i said i was excited about FE. And someone very nice, thoughtful and i assume wanting to make sure i didn't lose the opportunity for FE - pointed out that the FE's are often arranged on other threads/boards/social media. RIGHTFULLY - the poster pointed out that it was AGAINST this board rules to provide any further information or links. I was embarrassed that i had asked them to break the rules - without knowing it. I love this board and don't want to do anything that would be against the rules or to put anyone in the same position.

I think there is a big difference between someone MALICIOUSLY trying to recruit members away from this board VERSUS someone trying to help someone on this board. The person was just trying to help.

With that said, yes, there are SOME malicious, bad-intended people who set up boards/websites, Social media (SM) sites etc.. and it's is ALWAYS user beware. I appreciate that some people want to protect others by not sharing information about potential questionnable sites. but at the same time, it would be really nice to have a place for DCL cruisers that was truly an open place where we could post resources from across a variety of sources. people could add a disclaimer.

again - my apologies for not using my words properly and better explaining.

i am so sorry! i didn't think about my words before my post. it's my fault. i really feel awful. i joined my cruise thread on this board - and i said i was excited about FE. And someone very nice, thoughtful and i assume wanting to make sure i didn't lose the opportunity for FE - pointed out that the FE's are often arranged on other threads/boards/social media. RIGHTFULLY - the poster pointed out that it was AGAINST this board rules to provide any further information or links. I was embarrassed that i had asked them to break the rules - without knowing it. I love this board and don't want to do anything that would be against the rules or to put anyone in the same position.

I think there is a big difference between someone MALICIOUSLY trying to recruit members away from this board VERSUS someone trying to help someone on this board. The person was just trying to help.

With that said, yes, there are SOME malicious, bad-intended people who set up boards/websites, Social media (SM) sites etc.. and it's is ALWAYS user beware. I appreciate that some people want to protect others by not sharing information about potential questionnable sites. but at the same time, it would be really nice to have a place for DCL cruisers that was truly an open place where we could post resources from across a variety of sources. people could add a disclaimer.

again - my apologies for not using my words properly and better explaining.
No need to feel badly. I was just wondering what was said.

Since the cruise board here on DISboards is a sponsored board, they (rightly) don't want people going elsewhere to research/discuss their upcoming cruises. I get that.

And it's not just DISboards that have rules like that. There's another cruise board that doesn't allow links to other sites on their meet threads. It's all about keeping the business in-house.

This is not true. Here, anyone who comes to the DIS boards can look at any cruise group and see what's going on. On FB you can make the group private, and most cruise groups are. This means you must be added by the admin. If the settings are right, no-one who is not in the group can view what is on the page.
They can see whats going on for the cruise, but not my personal life. The only info I have on the DIS is what I choose to share. Every day it seems you hear that FB changed another one of its settings in the name of feature upgrades and, whoops, were sorry, but now this part of your page is now visible to complete strangers.

I do find it interesting that there are now two threads about essentially the same topic. Facebook cruise groups that are heavily moderated.
Yes, this individual has a large following through her JUNKIES page. Yes, she is likely selling and profiting from some of the FE stuff. Nothing wrong with that at all. The only issue I've had is how heavy handed the moderation is. It makes it extremely difficult for me and many others to enjoy participating. I choose not to participate and I was booted out of one. There are so many other places to go, even on FB. I've only had ONE FB cruise group taken over by her and in that case, a new FB group was started and has thrived.

I can understand why some folks would like to avoid the HS drama and therefore avoid these groups or even these cruises. There are so many choices out there of how to spend your vacation time and your vacation dollar, some just want to avoid all conflict. Unfortunately, the heavy handed approach does cause more problems than it prevents.

Personally, I suggest that if you run across one of these heavily controlled FB groups, leave. Come here to the DIS or go find one of the many other FB groups that don't have all these issues. If you are already a member and just like the group but not the moderators. Leave. Go somewhere else. Don't keep feeding the ego.

They can see whats going on for the cruise, but not my personal life. The only info I have on the DIS is what I choose to share. Every day it seems you hear that FB changed another one of its settings in the name of feature upgrades and, whoops, were sorry, but now this part of your page is now visible to complete strangers.
Exactly. Random people seeing only what I’m doing on my cruise — no big deal. Everyone on my cruise seeing my real name etc — would rather not.

Sadly that is all we can do - remove the posts when they pop up. As Shmoo said, sometimes we don't notice so we do need it to be reported when and if it is occurring. If its innocent enough and someone is just mentioning it in passing and has a history of being involved on the boards it might slip by but for instance someone with a low post count that repeatedly posts to drive traffic? Gone. In shorter terms - talking about Facebook is fine, driving people to it is not.

We did take notice of her full name and had a discussion about it last night - thankfully it has been removed from the title and the thread since then. She does put it out there on her websites which the public CAN access - her main FE google sheet is not secret and lists her full name - and she is also listed in a public view as a moderator on the Junkies' sites. I think if we can all refrain from using her full name going forward though that would be best as she is not a public entity.

FYI the full name is still in one of the quoted messages, post # 3.

We have always had great FE groups here on the DIS. Got one coming up for the DVC Member cruise. I think all it takes is someone willing to organize it. We did one last summer that had 3 groups, so good size FE groups are still active on the DIS. There are also FB exchanges on those cruises as well, but they exist in harmony. Some folks join one or the other or both. I will say that I have always found the DIS FE groups to be civil and have never really had an issue (maybe due to moderation).

I do not do social media, so I very much appreciate the forum here!

You control what personal information you reveal on FB. You don't have to include a lot of personal info. You can just put a name and enjoy the group. I understand if you don't want to be a part of FB. I just want people to understand that it doesn't have to be a big, scary place. It's been a great resource for me to keep up with friends that I would have no contact with otherwise. I'm not even on FB that much, but I appreciate it when I want to make contact with people. It's been great for cruises. (I'm also part of the cruise group here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter