One particular owner of most DCL Facebook groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I correct that on FB you must use your real name? While here, most people do not use their actual names.
Yes, you're supposed to use your real name. I don't see a problem with that. If I don't want my name associated with something I say, I probably shouldn't say it. That's me, anyway. I understand not everyone feels this way, even those who are above board and quite nice people. When it comes to a cruise group, I want people to know my name, to be able to connect with them on board. (I can also avoid someone, if need be, by name.)

You control what personal information you reveal on FB. You don't have to include a lot of personal info. You can just put a name and enjoy the group. I understand if you don't want to be a part of FB. I just want people to understand that it doesn't have to be a big, scary place. It's been a great resource for me to keep up with friends that I would have no contact with otherwise. I'm not even on FB that much, but I appreciate it when I want to make contact with people. It's been great for cruises. (I'm also part of the cruise group here.)
True, but that opens up a can of worms sometimes. I know that most HR departments now review social media before making hires. I'd hate to think I didn't get a job because of something stupid a friend from college or high school may have posted. Also, FB sells all of your information that it gathers that you put on there. That's how they make money. They have the best facial recognition software in the world, so they know who your are, what you like, what you buy, where you go, who you associate with, where you work, where you travel, etc. A bit too much for me...

http://bgr.com/2017/12/19/facebook-facial-recognition-tagging-notifications/

True, but that opens up a can of worms sometimes. I know that most HR departments now review social media before making hires. I'd hate to think I didn't get a job because of something stupid a friend from college or high school may have posted. Also, FB sells all of your information that it gathers that you put on there. That's how they make money. They have the best facial recognition software in the world, so they know who your are, what you like, what you buy, where you go, who you associate with, where you work, where you travel, etc. A bit too much for me...

http://bgr.com/2017/12/19/facebook-facial-recognition-tagging-notifications/

In addition to this issue, you are putting your name out there with set dates of when you will be away from home. That's a perfect invitation to thieves. I've joined FB groups for some of my cruises, but I have a home security system and I almost always have someone staying at my house taking care of my dog while I'm gone.

right been following this and the other thread, it seems to me that there needs to be a pro active and intelligent way to solve all this mess

1. Instead of going to Disney, go direct to Facebook. On any Facebook group or page, whether you are a member or not, have liked the page or not, there is REPORT TO FACEBOOK option. On this particular Junkies main page, click on the 3 dots betweteen the words JOIN THIS GROUP and More. This brings up the following options
a) Report Group
b) Create New Group
Click on the Report Group and you get the following options
Help us understand what's happening
What's wrong with this group?
  • It's harassing me
  • It's harassing a friend
  • Sexually explicit content
  • Spam or a scam
  • Violence or harmful behaviour
  • Hate speech
  • It's for selling drugs, guns or other regulated goods
  • I think it's an unauthorised use of my intellectual property
Choose an option and it gets sent direct to Facebook. Facebook takes its rule violations seriously so if enough of you report either the main Junkies group, or your individual cruise groups which this person has taken over, then poof they get disabled. The Facebook group admins do not get a notification of their page or group being disabled, they do not get told who has reported them to Facebook. The next time they try to log in or access the group or page, they will get a message saying their page has been reported for rule violation and if they wish to retrieve it, they need to contact Facebook.

2. The next thing that needs to happened is that every single one of you go to your Disboards cruise meet thread and / or your Disboards FE Thread and actually physically warn everyone about this person. It can be done either through PM or in public, but people need to know.

3. As this person is actively campaigning against Disboards, then its up to people on here to take back control and actively campaign against her, not just in this thread but in every cruise thread here on Dis.

4. If people on your cruise do really want a Facebook group, then this persons name must be circulated and everyone warned against her. Again take back control from her, do not allow her to be a member of the groups, do not allow her to be admin. If she does manage to join the private group, then form a mutiny, and leave and create a new group and leave her in a dead and inactive group.

You guys need to be pro active and actually do something, as right now, all thats happening is alot of talk and no action.

Yes, you're supposed to use your real name. I don't see a problem with that. If I don't want my name associated with something I say, I probably shouldn't say it. That's me, anyway. I understand not everyone feels this way, even those who are above board and quite nice people. When it comes to a cruise group, I want people to know my name, to be able to connect with them on board. (I can also avoid someone, if need be, by name.)
It’s nothing to do with what kinds of things we’re saying. It’s revealing your real name, when you’ll be out of town, often your photo. I use FB constantly to keep in touch with distant family and friends, so the info is there. Total strangers I generally won’t even meet on the ship, no reason to share.

Unfortunately MJ, some groups start out without her but she works her way into groups and takes over. Next thing you know it's her way or the highway. She kicks people out who questions why she takes over and then boom. You are left without a group.
Maybe this has happened once or twice, but it's not the norm. We've done FE's via Facebook on two recent cruises and are in the process of doing it for a third. No issues, no unpleasantness.

The way you're overgeneralizing this problem is unfortunately probably scaring some new cruisers away from doing any kind of Fish Exchange. What a shame for them to miss out!

Maybe this has happened once or twice, but it's not the norm. We've done FE's via Facebook on two recent cruises and are in the process of doing it for a third. No issues, no unpleasantness.

The way you're overgeneralizing this problem is unfortunately probably scaring some new cruisers away from doing any kind of Fish Exchange. What a shame for them to miss out!
Why is that? FE groups aren't just limited to FB? In fact, they were on the DIS way before FB. Why not join the DIS FE? Or join both? There's no law saying there can only be one...

And... if you really want to be in the know... You can bring Lime Greeen Mickey Heads (LGMH) for everyone in the DIS exchange...

Why is that? FE groups aren't just limited to FB? In fact, they were on the DIS way before FB. Why not join the DIS FE?
Because the Disboards Meets pages for most cruises are like ghost towns these days. If I relied on them, I would never have had the opportunity of doing a Fish Extender. We missed the opportunity completely for our first cruise because I only looked on Dis Meets, and the thread had minimal activity & no one interested in forming a Fish Extender group. Whereas all I have to do now is type in my cruise ship & date on Facebook, and I find a good FE group to join, and have never had any problems that way.

Last edited:
Because the Disboards Meets pages for most cruises are like ghost towns these days. If I relied on them, I would never have had the opportunity of doing a Fish Extender. We missed the opportunity completely for our first cruise because I only looked on Dis Meets, and the thread had minimal activity & no one interested in forming a Fish Extender group. Whereas all I have to do now is type in my cruise ship & date on Facebook, and I find a good FE group to join, and have never had any problems that way.
Excately. My dates here have only 4 people. Our FB is about 38. That other cruise website. You knowThe biggest one our there. Have ZERO. I will though as we get closer try and get one started more here. After these threads I am getting paranoid and want a FE back up lol!

I completely agree with this. And everything is easily in the one group on FB - FE, candy exchange, ornament exchange, people sharing excursions, etc. For those on FB anyway, it's a no brainer. To be honest...it took me a long to find DisBoards because people on Cruise Critic weren't allowed to mention this site the way we're not supposed to mention FB here. I think all of that is ridiculous! No one has a monopoly on cruise information. People DO get to make a choice what works best for them.

Depends on the cruise. On our Southern last year, we had enough on DIS to have 3 groups of 8. We also have a fairly healthy one for the DVC member cruise in August.

I find that there are a number of people (like me) that don't belong to FB and have no desire to do so that appreciate the FE lists here on DIS. I have also seen that there are people that like to be on both lists. More options is not a bad thing...

I completely agree with this. And everything is easily in the one group on FB - FE, candy exchange, ornament exchange, people sharing excursions, etc. For those on FB anyway, it's a no brainer. To be honest...it took me a long to find DisBoards because people on Cruise Critic weren't allowed to mention this site the way we're not supposed to mention FB here. I think all of that is ridiculous! No one has a monopoly on cruise information. People DO get to make a choice what works best for them.
You can do all of that on the DIS group too. We have a local candy/snack exchange separate from the FE list for the DVC cruise, but it is organized in the same thread.

I will say that I do think that I find DIS to be more active with DVC members than the population as a whole as there is such an active DVC discussion forum here and Discussion Boards lend themselves to dispersing information so much better than Social Media, so my experience may be somewhat skewed.

And... if you really want to be in the know... You can bring Lime Greeen Mickey Heads (LGMH) for everyone in the DIS exchange...
Sadly, that won't work anymore. On our EBTA cruise there was a large group of people with a lime green swirly Mickey head on their lanyards. I asked one of them what their name was on the DISboards. I got the deer-in-headlights look back from her. Turns out their leader (on their FB group) sent everyone a link to that image and told them to wear them onboard so they could all find each other.

Last edited:
Sadly, that won't work anymore. On our EBTA cruise there was a large group of people with a lime green swirly Mickey head on their lanyards. I asked one of them what their name was on the DISboards. I got the deer-in-headlights look back from here. Turns out their leader (on their FB group) sent everyone a link to that image and told them to wear them onboard so they could all find each other.
Hey @PrincessShmoo - not to hijack the thread a bit, but I have to ask... How was Shanghai?

Our Disboards meets group for our cruise was also pretty much crickets. Would have loved if it was more active. We had originally being booked for a B2B, and the other cruise meet group on Disboards was also pretty much inactive.

The FB group for the cruise we cruised OTOH had over 400 members, and even now over two months after the cruise people still chat in it from time to time. I did not participate in the FE on it, but there were enough partiicpants they had several groups. There was also a mixology session arranged, and a group meet and greet on the first day. I think there were a couple other events, too. Our cruise got chanaged from an eastern to a western due to hurricane damage and there were many and helpful discussions about that, including excursion suggestions, etc. The disboard group had almost no mention of the change of itinerary and none of the kind of discussion about excursions [though I realize those suggestions could be found elsewhere in the forums -- we used info from the disboard forums to help inform ourselves on our options].

SW

Depends on the cruise. On our Southern last year, we had enough on DIS to have 3 groups of 8. We also have a fairly healthy one for the DVC member cruise in August.

I find that there are a number of people (like me) that don't belong to FB and have no desire to do so that appreciate the FE lists here on DIS. I have also seen that there are people that like to be on both lists. More options is not a bad thing...
When there are 2 options, that's great. But as I and other posters have mentioned, in most cases using Dis Meets is not an option at all due to the inactivity.

Sadly, that won't work anymore. On our EBTA cruise there was a large group of people with a lime green swirly Mickey head on their lanyards. I asked one of them what their name was on the DISboards. I got the deer-in-headlights look back from her. Turns out their leader (on their FB group) sent everyone a link to that image and told them to wear them onboard so they could all find each other.

That's sad. And, I just found my lime green Mickey heads from our last cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts