Onward movie thoughts - (Spoilers)

Tennor

Mouseketeer
I thought it was great. I'm really glad I haven't lost my dad, otherwise, this movie would have wrecked me.

Might be the smallest cast of character since the somewhat disappointing "The Good Dinosaur." A simple story but I loved the few characters and the adventure. The world-building was inventive and fun - it would be fun to see more of the fantasy world without magic, or seeing magic work its way back into the world.

I somehow didn't see the whole "Brother was the one there for me" theme coming. That scene with the checklist was so good. Beautiful. Barley being able to say goodbye when he was unable to before. So good. Ian gaining confidence. It's pretty simple stuff but it was done well.

Best moment of the movie, though - Guinevere "galloping" toward the cliffside.

The biker pixies were serviceable. The Manticore was fun. The best supporting character was Colt Bronco. Loved seeing him gallop off with his long hair at the end. The cartoon dragon face on the "stone dragon" was hilarious.

I wasn't on the level of Coco, Toy Story 3, Incredibles... but I loved it anyway. I think it was too similar to other fantasy films. It had the Pixar quality, heart, humor - but wasn't groundbreaking. The character growth, the story were all very simple. It lacked the complexity and depth of the great Pixar movies.

Overall, I loved it. I like "quest" storyline. The world is amazing and I could see it expanding. The "brothers theme" truly tugged the heartstrings. I teared up a number of times. Ian's realization at the end made me cry. Barley is my favorite, I just wanna hug him!!! The mom was badass.

I also like the magic elements and how it works, especially the invisible bridge and the disguise spell. You could learn many lessons from this film.

Saw it today and enjoyed it a lot. For me, it was the characters of Ian and Barley and the voices of Tom Holland and especially Chris Pratt that made this movie for me. (And Octavia Spencer was a lot of fun as the Manticore.)

I was misty in places; really liked how they resolved the Dad story. I think the biggest emotional thing for me, though (maybe because it was unexpected) was the business with Guinevere. That really got me!

We saw it yesterday and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I was never too excited after seeing the trailers. After the first 15 minutes of the movie I was thinking “oh no, this is gonna be terrible”, but it got so much better. I got teary eyed at the end and tried my hardest not to cry lol.

I loved it!
I thought it was very well done.

I somehow didn't see the whole "Brother was the one there for me" theme coming. That scene with the checklist was so good. Beautiful. Barley being able to say goodbye when he was unable to before. So good. Ian gaining confidence. It's pretty simple stuff but it was done well.

I did not see that coming either. It was extremely touching.

I hope the movie does well. I honestly liked it much more than Frozen 2 but I fear it does not have the built-in audience so may not do as well.

The part with Guinivere was the best part, but also so tough. She had become like one of the characters.

With the talk about Frozen II making it to Disney+ early - Does anyone else think Disney might release Onward on Pay-Per-View before too long if a lot of theatres start closing because of the virus? Their timing could hardly have been worse for the box office, and I would think Disney/Pixar would like to salvage a few dollars from this.

With the talk about Frozen II making it to Disney+ early - Does anyone else think Disney might release Onward on Pay-Per-View before too long if a lot of theatres start closing because of the virus? Their timing could hardly have been worse for the box office, and I would think Disney/Pixar would like to salvage a few dollars from this.

Without a doubt - they really took a hit with the timing - not their fault, just circumstance

The film is really a stinkeroo bomb so I’m sure it’ll be on Disney + soon.

The reason I'm saying Pay-Per-View is to hopefully make up for some lost ticket sales. I'm sure there are families (and others) who normally would have gone to the theatre for the new Disney/Pixar movie but decided this time that sitting in a closed space with a bunch of strangers was a bad idea. With lots of people "stuck at home," family time watching a new movie from their couch might sound pretty good and worth spending the ticket price.

Frozen II was a nice gesture for Disney+, but it had already made all its theatre money and come out for home purchase.

I was so disappointed with it. I really wanted to love it. I like elves, dragons, unicorns and magic and such but the movie was so sloooow. So glad I didn’t see it in the theater. I lost my dad a couple years ago so I thought this movie theme would get to me but I didn’t feel any connection to their Dad....it didn’t even feel like he was a character....he was just a prop. The Guinevere scenes were great though.

Well, I lost that bet! My sister says Onward will be on Disney+ April 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter