Opinions on what I did wrong...

I've always felt like the dining plan is rarely a good deal. But since alcohol is included this year possibly that might change things for some folks? I really don't know because no one in my family has ever purchased alcohol at disney, I have no idea how much it costs the average person. But for the non-drinkers at disney then I don't think anyone gets a deal with the dining plans unless they get it free. That's the only time we get it, otherwise we pay out of pocket and it's always much cheaper than the dining plan. I actually feel like a prisoner of the dining plan if we have too many table service meals scheduled. It's not flexible enough for me and I'd feel like I was wasting so much money if I was paying for the dining plan. I'm just much happier paying as I go and when I get home and add up the receipts we're always ahead financially as well.

I've always felt like the dining plan is rarely a good deal. But since alcohol is included this year possibly that might change things for some folks? I really don't know because no one in my family has ever purchased alcohol at disney, I have no idea how much it costs the average person. But for the non-drinkers at disney then I don't think anyone gets a deal with the dining plans unless they get it free. That's the only time we get it, otherwise we pay out of pocket and it's always much cheaper than the dining plan. I actually feel like a prisoner of the dining plan if we have too many table service meals scheduled. It's not flexible enough for me and I'd feel like I was wasting so much money if I was paying for the dining plan. I'm just much happier paying as I go and when I get home and add up the receipts we're always ahead financially as well.
The cost of drinks at Disney? :faint:

It will certainly change up the calculations. Our next trip is "on the cheap." But the trip after that, we are looking at the Deluxe Dining plan. I will have to run the numbers, but I will have to make sure to include a drink with our meals.

I've always felt like the dining plan is rarely a good deal.

I agree especially since we usually eat less on vacation. I used the disney dinning caculator for to see if it would be worth it for my next trip. It saved me $75 IF I ate at all the places I listed, which probable won't hapen. With the addition of a drink, I will run it again but I have a feeling it still will not be worth it for me.

We used the dining plan on two visits, and both times, we were disgusted at ourselves for the amount of food we consumed, as well as the amount of food that was on the table, but not consumed! This was back in the day, when 3 courses and tip were included in the price. We haven't done it since, but whenever we go, I keep all the receipts so I can see what we actually spent. And every time, we have spent less money than we would have by being on the dining plan. I don't think one alcoholic drink a day is enough to sway it in the other direction.

I don't think you have done anything wrong, it was just poor advice on your TA's part. They should not have tried to sell you on that when you stated your needs.

When planning our first visits, we had looked at menu's of places we would probably eat, then create a spread sheet when we had an average cost for our meals each day. Then, it would estimate the cost (and always round up) that we would pay each day for meals. It could be quick service or table service, but at least we have a base to go off of. We used the dining plan on one visit and it was too much food for us, especially when I usually get kids meals anyway. They are usually just a tad smaller portion wise, but they are cheaper. It is also good to have a plan where the healthier options are so that you know exactly where to go when in the parks.

I would say the dining plan probably isn't a good fit for your family and there's nothing wrong with that...live and learn.

I use this calculator when trying to decide if I should get it for a particular trip. You enter your trip dates and where you will be eating each day. It calculates the average cost of a meal there and gives you two totals: how much the dining plan would cost and how much you would pay out of pocket.

I like how there is also a spot to put in your family's preferences if you were paying out of pocket (ie: we would buy 2 mugs but not 4, we split 1 or 2 desserts per table rather than 1 per person). It takes all that into consideration when bringing up the out of pocket total. For us it has always come out cheaper to get the dining plan, but we have young kids so do a lot of character meals/buffets.

http://www.distripplanner.com/

Thank you for sharing the calculator. Confirmed my decision to not purchase a dining plan.

I would find a new TA if I were you. I think it should have been apparent immediately that the dining plan wasn't a good fit for you, so I don't really think there's an excuse for the advice you got. (I kind of assume she sold you on it because she got some sort of commission for selling it). We personally never do the dining plan because I am not interested in the amount of food the plan provides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!