Organizing for a yard sale...

PoohBWV

<font color=green>Moderator<br><font color=red>Pro
We are moving our business from a store front into our home office and garage, (which will give me more time for the DIS, but don't tell dh, lol), and we are therefore organizing everything in the house and having a yard sale next week. Anyone have any yard sale or organizing tips. Are any of you having a yard sale soon? Does your yard sale money go towards a Disney fund?

How how some promo suggestions :p ... try to get some of your neighbours interested as well, that way you have have a street sale which should attract more buyers. I would also consider advertising in the local paper. I've seen it done in Toronto. Get your family members involved! They can help with organizing items and helping with sales :) If you contact your local real estate agent, they might have some garage sale signs for you. These would be similar to the open house signs you see propped up on the road. I was about to offer you some, but I just noticed you're in Chatham. I think my mom's got a couple of them but she uses them every so often.

Good luck!

I think bunnyfoo is right, advertising, advertising, advertising. :)

BIG sign in your storefront window....lol..:)

I should have a yard/garage sale, we have so much junk...I mean valuable treasures....and yes, I'd probably put the money in a Disney fund.

We've only had one yard sale, about 17 years ago, before we moved. We made $300, which surprised the heck out of us, and was pretty good for back then.

Good luck Peggy!

btw-got any teasures you'd like to give us first dibs on? ;) :)

"If you contact your local real estate agent, they might have some garage sale signs for you. These would be similar to the open house signs you see propped up on the road."

LOL, I used to be a real estate broker and have some of those signs in my shed. Never even thought about using them!

Hi there! I'm having a yard sale next weekend and I've been planning for about 6 weeks already! Last one I had was about 6 years ago ($ went towards Las Vegas trip:D ).
I think asking the neighbours is a bonus and also huge signage on the nearby streets is a good idea!
Good luck!
Hev

The More the Merrier! Also, if there are any other sales in the area, post your signs with theirs, that way when they are finished there, they will come to yours!

Price everything, people hate to ask the price and with the price on they will ask for the item at a cheaper price!:rolleyes: If you are serious about letting the stuff go, let it go!

Get everything pretty well set up the night before on tables and then bring it all out! People will show up even before you are out of bed!LOL

Good Luck!

And yes, of course it goes towards Disney Trips! What Else!?;)

Scratch
:smooth:

LOL, we are selling a non-motorized tread mill, old vaccuum - needs a new hose-, some old electronics, tons of stuffed animals, lots of my teen daughters clothes, a couple of chairs......

I'm getting worried about rain now though - I heard there is a possibility for Sat. a.m. We live on a busy corner, near a really busy corner, so I don't ever advertise in the paper, just put the signs out in the morning, so if it is raining we'll just wait for next weekend.

So how did the sale go? Did you get lots of customers :p

We started out with a little bit of rain this morning, but since everything was in my livingroom waiting to go outside, so it was on with the sale. I could not believe how many people came. Parking illegally, fighting over items, it was hilarious!

We had to stop at about noon, because I had some clients coming to my home office this afternoon, but we made $479 and still have enough left over for another yard sale next month!!!!

Only drawback is I'm exhausted right now. Just finishing baking cookies for the family reunion we're going to in Burlington tomorrow, then off to bed.

Wow! Congratulations PoohBWV!! Fighting over items? I guess you didn't have to haggle with the buyers too much. :)

Are you putting that money into a Disney trip fund? :p *lol* ... I keep trying to convince my parents that we should have a garage sale, but none of us are ever around on the same weekend! It's just as well I guess ... I know they wouldn't put it into a Disney trip fund :rolleyes: :p

Hope you have a good time at the reunion!

WooHoo Peggy, you did great!!! :teeth: Maybe you can make another $479 on the next one! You must have some great quality junk....I mean treasures..lol...;) :)

WOW!!! did you sell alot of big items. We are planning one in 2 weekends money will go towards Disneyland trip. I have a fair amount to sell lots of baby stuff, apartement size washer dryer, some small furniture. I can only hope to do as well as you!!!

Allison

We had a couple of larger items - a keyboard and a treadmill. Good luck with your yard sale Allison!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter