Orlando facing bad times?

drakethib

DIS Veteran
Has the increase in gas prices, recession (perceived or not), and tough economy hit the tourism in Orlando or has their been no change?

Just wondering

I haven't been since August, but I doubt it has had a serious impact. Disney is such a huge tourist attraction it shouldn't have a huge impact.

No change as of now and there probably won't be much of a letdown.

I can tell you from recent experience, it's not easy finding good employment in Florida right now. All of the job recruiters I met with were telling me that it's an employers market right now, they can pick the cream of the crop because their are so many people looking for a job and not enough going around.

This is something we follow very closely, as it's our livelihood. In all honesty, as of right now, things are pretty good. No one is dumping their rates, and at least from the perspective of Dreams Unlimited, things are going quite well. Disney is offering more discounts this year than in years past, but nothing earth shattering and only during historically weak travel periods. When Disney starts dumping rates over normally busy periods, that would be a sign of trouble. When you start seeing the Swan Dolphin or Gaylord Palms offering rates of $99 on most nights -that's a sign that there's trouble. So far, nothing even close to that is happening.

In all honesty, I'm expecting things to get a bit worse - but I know for a fact that if they do, hotels (including Disney) will respond by lowering rates and offering very attractive specials. This town survived 9/11 - a lot of lessons were learned from that and I have no doubt we'll survive this (he says knocking wood).

Pete

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter