Oscar 2023 thoughts

Well, I've enjoyed his stuff in general. He's fine - not one of the greats or anything though. I won't lay the remake at his feet though as Disney wants to make them and they make big bucks too, so....
They're not really trying to make anything great. I just wish they'd at least aim for good. :laughing:

TGM is widely considered, even by "legitimate" critics, a rip-roaring, hugely entertaining, well-made film. Many have praised A2 in similar terms. More raves than not.
Top Gun Maverick was entertaining and a satisfying enough sequel to the original, but I don't think it was Best Picture nominee level good. I haven't seen Avatar 2, but from what I've heard I'd have about the same opinion on that.

Top Gun Maverick was entertaining and a satisfying enough sequel to the original, but I don't think it was Best Picture nominee level good. I haven't seen Avatar 2, but from what I've heard I'd have about the same opinion on that.
My opinion of TGM was they could have left out the skunkworks part of the film and instead spent that time doing some character development on the younger gen TGs. All of them just seemed like caricatures. Awesome film, absolutely worth seeing in the theater - but not a best picture nom with that big of a hole in the story.

Looks like a shot for shot live action remake. If they REALLY wanted to make an impression, they'd do the story as Andersen wrote it.

...Ke Huy Quan and Jamie Lee Curtis...
I loved both their speeches! Thought is was cool that Brendan Fraser won after all these years, too.

It's just that these shot-for-shot remakes are so boring. Why would I ever watch them over the originals? This is especially treu when the originals are stone-cold MASTERPEICES. Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid - they are among the best of the best.
I agree in general. I don't usually bother watching them. Buuuuuuut, I'm kind of excited to see Mellissa McCarthy do Ursula, so I'll probably watch this one.

I saw Avatar 2 in IMAX with my wife and kids. So that's 4 more people to add to the list of real people who saw it in the theater. It wasn't a full screening but we saw it before school returned in January which was well after the initial big crowds.

I'm amused that the figure Avatar 2 did is treated with skepticism. It was released at exactly the right time, taking full advantage of the holiday season. The foreign market loved it and made it successful similar to what the first Avatar saw in that same market.

As a kid of the 80s who grew up loving Short Round and Data, I was over the moon for Ke Huy Quan. His story is awe-inspiring. On the cusp of finally giving up and he finally got a taste of success again. It was a spectacular performance.

I saw Avatar 2 in IMAX with my wife and kids. So that's 4 more people to add to the list of real people who saw it in the theater. It wasn't a full screening but we saw it before school returned in January which was well after the initial big crowds.

I'm amused that the figure Avatar 2 did is treated with skepticism. It was released at exactly the right time, taking full advantage of the holiday season. The foreign market loved it and made it successful similar to what the first Avatar saw in that same market.

As a kid of the 80s who grew up loving Short Round and Data, I was over the moon for Ke Huy Quan. His story is awe-inspiring. On the cusp of finally giving up and he finally got a taste of success again. It was a spectacular performance.

Right? It's like if people don't like it they assume that nobody must like it and the "success" just has to be fake or a fluke or something. There are all kinds of movies that do well that I don't like - I'm not the world's tastemaker. I couldn't care less about Top Gun, yet many rave about it. That's fine though - glad it did well.

I love that Ke Huy still name-drops Goonies all the time, and I loved seeing him with Harrison Ford on stage. If they don't have him in at least a brief cameo in Dial of Destiny, then it's a huge missed opportunity!

Last edited:
Those dancers from RRR movie were unbelievably talented.

I don't see how some of those women sat down in their dresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter