OT: "substantially limits"

With that said, if your child is Aspergers then he has significant educational needs (social skills and EF curriculum etc).

I would be careful about saying things like that. Like other autism spectrum disorders, Aspergers isn't always severe, so not everyone with Aspergers has "significant educational needs." That being said, if your child needs accommodations, fight for them tooth and nail.

I have to disagree, I have never met a single person who is aspergers who did not have significant educational needs, no mater how well self adapted they are. At a minimum improving social fluency to reduce the effort it takes navigate the NT world and manage associated anxiety.

The big confusion is differentiating acedemic need from functional curricular needs and realizing that that they are equally covered under IDEA.

Aspergers or other ASD does not have to be "severe" or even moderate to create significant educational needs, it is all about the impact which is virtually always significant.

Hi, I'm Taryn. Now you've met someone. There are a lot of aspies that don't have challenges severe enough to need accommodations, but they're not the ones you notice. It is entirely possible you've met someone like that before and just didn't know. Mostly we just exist and people never know.

Yes lots of us aspies out there, but if you manefest significantly enought to meet the diagnostic criteria, then you have significant educational needs in the functional curricular areas

Utterrandomness, Welcome to our forum, great to have another aspie on board.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter