Other Options...

I received the Classic Journeys catalogue today. They have a nice variety of regular and family trips priced very reasonably. Single supplement is just a few hundred dollars more than the double occupancy rate! They could be a contender for me once dd goes to university.

How did you request the catalog? Online? I would be interested if the single supplement is reasonable, as well. Still looking for some reasonably priced trip options!

How did you request the catalog? Online? I would be interested if the single supplement is reasonable, as well. Still looking for some reasonably priced trip options!

I didn't request the catalogue -- it just showed up. I imagine you could request one online! The single supplements are very reasonable -- less than $1,000.00pp more for a single (I'd have to call and make sure I'd get my own room though -- I wouldn't share with a stranger). All of the accommodations are luxury and the itineraries are great. They also have family trips. Just by looking at their website and catalogue I'd say they are going to give ABD some stiff competition. I am looking for other options and would be willing to give them a try. Also they have some itineraries ABD doesn't offer (such as Egypt and the Nile and Morocco), so I would recommend everyone have a look at what they offer!

I still have our trip with A&K Family in December to rate. I expect it will be excellent based on what I have read about them.

We received the same Classic Journeys catalog this week, and I just called to find out how large their group size is for family trips. He said they max out at 18 (!!!) but there are a few trip where the max is 12 (he didn't say which ones and I didn't ask since I had a couple other questions). The trips have 1 guide, and that guide is always a local person. There are 'step on guides' for specific activities but your local guide stays with you the whole time.

I didn't request the catalogue -- it just showed up. I imagine you could request one online! The single supplements are very reasonable -- less than $1,000.00pp more for a single (I'd have to call and make sure I'd get my own room though -- I wouldn't share with a stranger). All of the accommodations are luxury and the itineraries are great. They also have family trips. Just by looking at their website and catalogue I'd say they are going to give ABD some stiff competition. I am looking for other options and would be willing to give them a try. Also they have some itineraries ABD doesn't offer (such as Egypt and the Nile and Morocco), so I would recommend everyone have a look at what they offer!

Yep, they have an option on their "contact" menu to request the catalog. Thank you!!!

I just did a quick comparison of Amalfi tour offered by Classic journeys( $5,099, 6days/5 nights) vs.
Disney ($5,499 8days/7nights). Disney trip is a much better value with addition of Florence to the
trip and the hotels Disney uses are fabulous. So, grass is not that green on on the other
side.

I just did a quick comparison of Amalfi tour offered by Classic journeys( $5,099, 6days/5 nights) vs.
Disney ($5,499 8days/7nights). Disney trip is a much better value with addition of Florence to the
trip and the hotels Disney uses are fabulous. So, grass is not that green on on the other
side.
At this point, I think a lot of people are attracted to Classic Journeys because of the small group size (max 18!) and not so much by it being any cheaper. (Well, except for that amazing single supplement!) A lot of the options being discussed here are not cheaper than ABD.

Sayhello

side.

Besides smaller group size (which is very important to us) with Classic Journeys, their itineraries are more regionally focused. For example the Amalfi trip covers Amalfi and Capri and then there is a separate trip for Venice, Florence and Rome. So Classic Journeys seems to give you more in-depth coverage of the areas you are traveling which for some travelers is more valuable than covering more ground or a few more days. There are plenty of options for everyone, I wouldn't say one is better than the other just different. We will all choose what is best for us based on what we value most.

Have you traveled with 42 people and 2 guides? I kind of felt OK with it until I did it.

For us the issue was the quality of food. With 42 people, you are reduced to buffets. And not the fabulous buffets that you experience having brunch at Palo but lackluster buffets where the food is only warmish and then runs out 2/3 of the way through and those that didn't get food have to wait so long that everyone else is done eating.

For us the issue was the quality of food. With 42 people, you are reduced to buffets. And not the fabulous buffets that you experience having brunch at Palo but lackluster buffets where the food is only warmish and then runs out 2/3 of the way through and those that didn't get food have to wait so long that everyone else is done eating.

I agree! Those welcome dinners really have to go. For the Japan ABD the welcome dinner is on the second night at a very nice restaurant, so that will be a welcome change! But the rest of the welcome dinners I haven't really enjoyed. I'm also not a fan of "family style meals" which the large groups seem to have quite a lot. I think a lot of people feel that the food on ABDs is one area where there is a lot of room for improvement. One caveat is the China ABD, where I felt the food overall was very good!

I agree! Those welcome dinners really have to go. For the Japan ABD the welcome dinner is on the second night at a very nice restaurant, so that will be a welcome change! But the rest of the welcome dinners I haven't really enjoyed. I'm also not a fan of "family style meals" which the large groups seem to have quite a lot. I think a lot of people feel that the food on ABDs is one area where there is a lot of room for improvement. One caveat is the China ABD, where I felt the food overall was very good!
I agree about China. Even the Welcome Dinner was great. I'd also add Greece. The food got a little repetitious, but it was delicious! The buffet Welcome Dinners really do need to go!

Sayhello

I also agree about the buffets. We travel to enjoy the culture and food is a big part of our enjoyment. Travel halfway around the world and served half warm American food is disappointing. And the other vendors which we travel supply one guide who acts as a tour guide and logistics expert and at each stop they employ local experts at the places we are to tour. Never had a problem with one guide (so far)....

I recently booked a cruise with Silverseas (the Muse) to Alaska in July with my son! Their itinerary is very good and apparently the price includes excursions, but I may book a few on my own (getting on to a bus with 48 or so other guests and touring en masse isn't my idea of enjoyment and I don't mind paying extra to do some things on our own). I am debating whether or not to book the Rocky Mountaineer add-on to Banff or the 4 night pre-cruise excursion to Denali. Leaning towards Denali I think!

I recently booked a cruise with Silverseas (the Muse) to Alaska in July with my son! Their itinerary is very good and apparently the price includes excursions, but I may book a few on my own (getting on to a bus with 48 or so other guests and touring en masse isn't my idea of enjoyment and I don't mind paying extra to do some things on our own). I am debating whether or not to book the Rocky Mountaineer add-on to Banff or the 4 night pre-cruise excursion to Denali. Leaning towards Denali I think!
That's a hard choice! Both gorgeous, excellent options! I think I'd lean towards Denali, also. If you're going to Alaska, you really need to see Denali!

Sayhello

Last edited:
We just finished our Backroads hiking trip in Arizona. It was so different from ABD that I’m not entirely sure it’s really a competitor. In the Venn diagram of the two, the overlapping customers would be pretty small.

That said, we were completely blown out of the water. It was a perfect trip in every day. 15 guests, 3 guides, and all meals plus snacks included. Also alcohol. Emphasis was on fresh, high quality food - I’ve never eaten so well on vacation EVER.

Our guides were outstanding. Each day you had 3 hiking options, and those that stopped earlier had outings to towns/shopping/etc. We did all the hikes possible and did approx 35 miles in 5 days. Half the group did the minimum miles and spent afternoons exploring.

For those who travel solo, there were 3 solo women in our group. We enjoyed getting to know everyone.

We are in the process of deciding which one we will do next. Can’t recommend highly enough.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!