Other things to do while at Disney

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
My mom and I are thinking about taking my girls down to the parks over the presidents week. And yes I know it will probably be crowded as heck but we know that going into it so we are prepared for crowds. She has a timeshare and we would go from Sat to Sat. SOOO since I only wanted to spend 4 days in the parks we were thinking of other things to do in the local area. I was thinking about Knotts and possibly the wax museum and/or medieval times. The thing is we really didn't want to rent a car.

SOOO is there a shuttle of some sort that you can take to Knotts? And if we wanted to go to the wax museum or medeival times would you recommend a taxi or do you think it would be cheaper to just rent a car for one or two days for the days we don't want to go to the parks.

TIA for any help. :)

The wax museum has been closed for some time now. Probably cheaper to rent a car for a couple of days.

Thanks. That is surprising cuz I went to the website and it didn't say anything about the museum being closed. Any other recommendations? I haven't been to Knotts in years so we will probably do that but that would only take up one of the 2 extra days we have. Again thanks for any info. Oh and we are going to US in Dec so that wouldn't be an option.

I would check into renting a car at least for the days you need it. Although it maybe cheaper to just get it for the whole week, I would check prices. I know there is ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) to get around DL, but I don't think it takes you any where other than hotels.

If you decided to get a car, you could go to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, Legoland, or you could even check out Newport Beach (ok you couldn't swim, but I just love the ocean!). Knott's would probably take up a day, although you may be able to stretch it into two if you wanted to.

DH and I did the wax museum last year (I didn't know it was closed now either??), and it was OK, but nothing special, I probably wouldn't go again, although DH really liked it. As for Medieval Times, it is just a dinner show and it would only take up the evening (although if the wax museum is still open you could do that before Medieval Times.)

Whatever you decide to do have fun and relax!! :wave:

You know- we were at Disneyland this last President's Day week, and besides President's Day, we pretty much walked onto every ride that we wanted to.

I agree with renting a car for the day that you wanted to go to Knott's. OR you could see about the bus system. Have a great time though. We are debating ourselves when to go next year. DH has school break the week before President's day and I would rather go then vs. my son's spring break in March. We will have a 8 week old then to add into the equation.

Thanks so much everyone. I think a car is the way to go as well. There is that Avis right there on Harbor that we have used several times so I think it would be doable. I just didn't want to rent a car for the whole week only to have it sit in the parking lot or parking garage.

Thanks again!!

Legoland might not be a great diversion. It's a solid hour of driving to the south, and it has become run down and stocked with college student employees who range from very nice and helpful to downright rude and uncaring. The lines move sooooo slooooowwwwly your kids will go nuts. Went there recently with 3 yo niece and she hated it. Plus, all their new rides are for bigger kids (44"+) who won't even like the rides that much. Unless you go there first, to make your kids truly appreciate Disneyland later, skip it.

And as for Knott's, try to hit it on a weekday. On the weekends, the crowd is quite a bit bigger and more ... (how should I put this?) Raider game ish.

Other things we've done in LA recently:

La Brea Tar Pits -- I'd always heard about this place when I was growing up but never visited it. It was really fun and our daughter loved it.

American Girl Place -- If your daughters like American Girl dolls, this is a great place, with a shop, a theater with a really sweet show, and a cafe. (If you want to do this, you have to make reservations in advance). It just opened in April of this year, we went and my daughter and her friend said it was the highlight of our trip to LA! (Not cheap, though).

Legoland is a long drive, and expensive, but a really fun place to go. I think it is best for 4-7 year olds, but if we hadn't been already a few times, we would go there if we were in LA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter