Our dining excursion 6/21-6/27

honeybee213

Mouseketeer
This trip included DH(27) and myself (25). I planned this whole trip, but DH did look over menus before we made ADRs. We used the dining plan and loved it! We saved over $150. We did buy lots of water out of pocket though. Have to stay hydrated!

Wednesday, June 21
We got into our hotel room (POFQ) around 2:30. We had ADRs at Rose & Crown for 7:40, but decided that we needed some food before then. We went to the Sassagoula Floatworks food company. Bought two refillable mugs (so worth it). Used 2CS credits:
DH copied me 2 chicken wraps with chips, two sodas, and the CM let us order our Ice Cream Sandwiches and eat them later. I ate maybe 2/3 of the wrap, and just a few chips. DH ate the whole thing. There was too much mayo on the sandwich for me, and neither one of us really loved the chips. We got the ice cream sandwiches with sugar cookies and vanilla ice cream. Once again I couldn’t finish, but man were those tasty! (2CS)

Dinner- Rose & Crown Pub. (2TS)
Tonight was the only night where we had a problem getting in. They had my reservations under a completely wrong name. Then they gave us a pager that wasn’t charged, so it kept beeping and saying it was out of area. We got seated probably 15 minutes later than we would have been seated if our pager had been working correctly. We had Will for a server, but there was some confusion, because another server came up to us after we had already ordered. Oh well, Will was great! I ordered a cocktail that had mint in it….it was good, but I don’t think I would order it again. For appetizers, I had the cheese sampler and DH had the salad. I shared the cheese sampler with DH, and we both agreed it was good. DH ate all of the salad, and had no complaints! For Entrees I had the fish & chips, and DH had the chicken pasty. DH loved the pasty and had it devoured in less than 10 minutes, much to the surprise of Will! My fish and chips were good, but a little bit too heavy for me. And the peas were overcooked and not tasty at all. We went down to the viewing area for Illuminations between entrees and dessert. Because I had not eaten even half of my meal, Will had left it and given me new silverware for when we returned. I said I was finished (and didn’t want to bring it back to the room with me either). For dessert, DH had the warm apple crumble which he loved. I had the sticky toffee pudding, which was to die for!!!! I wish I had had more room so that I could have finished the whole thing! DH wants to return here, but I think I would pass.

Thursday, June 22
Breakfast-in room snacks of Special K bars from home

Lunch- Tusker House (2CS)
Once again, DH copied me. We ordered two turkey wraps with corn chowder, carrot cake, and bottled water. Both of us ate the whole meal. We had really worked up our appetites wandering around the Animal Kingdom. I thought the wrap was much better than the one we had yesterday. The corn chowder was good, even though it was hot out. They had a cucumber and tomato salad that was light and fresh. The carrot cake was standard fare, but good nonetheless.

Dinner- Whispering Canyon Café (2TS)
Both of us ordered bottomless milkshakes for our beverage. We both had the AYCE skillet as well. I loved the vanilla and orange milkshakes. DH loved the chocolate one. He wanted to have a third, but Lazy Susan (our server) didn’t get to us in time. We both enjoyed the corn bread (although it was a little dry) and the salad offered as appetizer. Oh yeah, we were seated in the very back all the way by the walkway to the pool. I was a little bit disappointed, but DH was happy with the situation. I really liked the pulled pork, corn, and mashed potatoes. DH loved the chicken, potatoes, and corn. Neither one of us cared for the baked beans. I thought the ribs were just ok, and DH agreed. DH had the Happiest Celebration on Earth dessert and loved it. I had the chocolate cake which was very yummy. I was surprised how light it was, but still didn’t even eat half of it. DH wants to come back to this place again. I’m iffy about it.

Friday, June 23
Breakfast- In room cereal bars again

Lunch- Sunshine Seasons (2CS)
Finally, DH branched off from me. He got the grilled chicken flatbread, a chocolate chip muffin, and a bottled water. I got the turkey and muenster cheese on foccacia with chipotle mayonnaise, and butterfinger cheesecake. The CM informed me I could get chips, so I got a bag of baked lays. DH must have enjoyed the flatbread, because he ate it all. I loved my sandwich, and the cheesecake was good too. I saved the Lays for a snack for later. This was my favorite CS.

Dinner- Le Cellier (2TS)
This was both DH and my favorite TS. We both ordered the cheese soup for appetizer. Our server, Leigh, lived only 100 or so miles from our home, so that was nice. She said, “you must have been here before to know to order that”. I told her it was raved about on the Dis. She ended up giving me the recipe for it. DH loved that soup so much. I had a stomach ache, and couldn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted too. But it was very, very flavorful and good. I loved the pretzel bread too! We both ordered the 7oz. filet (me medium well because of my stomach, DH well- he needs to learn). DH’s filet was devoured in no time flat. I have never seen him enjoy a meal so much! I thought it was wonderful, but wished I had ordered it medium (I would have if I had felt better). For dessert DH had the crème brulee, and I had the strawberries and balsamic ice cream. I loved my dessert, especially when our server poured fresh crème anglaise over the top. DH liked the crème brulee, and I thought it was ok (I’m not a big fan of crème brulee). We would recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Saturday, June 24
I bought a bag of bagels at the store at POFQ, and that was our breakfast the rest of the trip.

Lunch- Liberty Tree Tavern (2TS)
This was DH’s pick for the trip. DH had the Tavern Fried Cheese, William Penn Pasta, and caramel apple tart. He loved every part of the meal. I tasted everything but the dessert, and it was all very tasty! I had the crabcake, the sandwich heard round the world, and the grilled poundcake. I liked the crabcake, and the salad underneath was very good too. A little sweet and spicy. The sandwich was just ok. DH thought it was excellent, but I like the turkey panini at Panera better, and it’s cheaper! The poundcake was scrumptious. DH wants to go back, but I think I would pass unless I was doing the character dinner with kids.

Dinner- Pecos Bill Café (2CS)
We both ordered the double bacon cheeseburger, water, and the peanut butter brownie mousse. I wish they had more options for dessert. Both of us liked the hamburger, especially with the fixins bar. I thought the fries were soggy and kinda gross, but DH liked them, especially with the warm cheese sauce. The brownies were just ok. I think I’d like CHH better.

Sunday, June 25
Lunch- Earl of Sandwich (OOP)
I had the Earl’s Club, and DH had the Tuna Melt. We both enjoyed the sandwiches a lot, and DH agreed mine was better. We would definitely return. We also got a 10% discount with our AAA card.

Snack (OOP)
We made some creations at Goofy’s in the Marketplace. I made a vanilla fudge cookie dipped in white chocolate, rainbow sprinkles, and drizzled with caramel. DH had a rice krispie treat dipped in white chocolate, oreo crumbs, and drizzled with caramel. Both were very yummy and worth the wait!

Dinner- Sassagoula (2CS)
We stayed at our resort because it was rainy and we both were just feeling lazy. I ate a pizza and one of those monster cookie sandwiches. DH had salad, chicken parm, and a cookie sandwich. The CM said the cookie sandwiches weren’t included, but figured out a way to ring them up anyway. Oh well, I guess it depends on who is working what is included. Both of us agreed that it was just ok food, enough to keep us going.

Monday, June 26
Lunch- Sci-Fi (OOP)
I thought DH would enjoy the ambience here, and I think I was right. We love going to the drive ins! I had originally wanted to split a burger here, but DH insisted that we each get our own. I had a cookies n cream shake too. We shared an order of yummy onion rings. We each had a cheeseburger and fries. I think it was the best burger and fries we had, and I think DH would agree! We would probably return.

Dinner- Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dining Plan
We shared a pepperoni flatbread, the bread with dipping sauce, and a very good salad with balsamic vinaigrette. DH had the chicken parm, which he loved. I had a taste, and thought it was pretty good. I had the penne a la vodka. I liked it a lot, but thought it could have used a touch more seasoning. For dessert, DH had the chocolate gelato and I had the chocolate truffle cake. I thought the cake was a little dry, but it was small enough to enjoy. I wish I had cancelled this because they added the 10:30 fantasmic show, but DH thought it was a great meal.

Tuesday, June 27
Breakfast- Crystal Palace (2TS)
This was a great last meal at Disney. DH loved the breakfast lasagna. I loved the puffed French toast and the kid’s breakfast pizza. I had an omelet, but didn’t really care for it. I ate a ton of fruit too! The characters were great, and they all signed a postcard for our nephew. I want to go back with my nephew for lunch or dinner.

Snack (4SC)
Cupcake, mickey brownie, water at Main Street Bakery. We ate these later, and they were delicious. We also got a water, and beignets at POFQ. The beignets were nowhere near as good as the ones at Café du Monde. They were an ok snack.

Dinner (2CS)
We had to be on the Magical Express by 2:10, so we decided to do a CS to go. We both got a turkey sub, rice kripy treats, and water to go. We ate these around 4:30 waiting for our plane. The subs were good, again those chips just weren’t that great. The rice krispy treats were our late snack when we missed our connecting flight and had to sit in the airport for over two hours. They were a nice piece of Disney on our trip home.

Thanks for the great reviews! I think that chowder at Tusker House sounds divine. Can't wait to copy your lunch choice myself! ;)

Beth :crazy:

Great review! Thanks for all of the details. :thumbsup2

Thank you for posting your reviews! We leave for WDW in 2 days and have a number of the same ADRs (although we are NOT on DDP) and it was great to read your reviews of not just the restaurant, but the meals! Thanks again!

:thumbsup2

I'm cracking up, we had the exact same meal at Sunshine Seasons, right down to the butterfinger cheesecake. I loved that meal. Wish I could find a sandwich like it here. Great reviews...thanks!

Please share the cheese soup recipe.....I've heard such wonderful comments that I want to try it and unfortunately I have to wait many months before my next Disney trip....

Where is goofy's at marketplace? Sounds like something my kids might like to have?

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Goofy's Candy Cauldron is near the bus depot in the Marketplace at DTD. It is across the street from the Christmas shop, and next door to the $10 and under shop.

I copied the recipe from the allears website, but it is the same as what my server gave me.

LeCellier- Canada Cheddar Cheese Soup
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

1/4 lb. smoked bacon finely chopped
1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1/2 cup finely sliced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
3 TB all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
12 oz. grated white cheddar, Canadian Black Diamond
3 dashes Tabasco
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Moosehead Canadian Ale, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste
1 TB thinly sliced chives

Method:

1. Cook the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed, non-reactive soup pot over medium heat until wilted but not browned.

2. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent and bacon has crisped.

3. Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure there are no lumps. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire and ale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with your favorite bread and top with chopped chives.

I really enjoyed your reviews.

As an American living in the UK, let me tell you that thankfully the only time they ruin peas like that is when they are served with fish & chips. :confused3 They are gross and usually refered to as mushy peas.

Enjoyed reading your reviews. We're eating at some of the same places that you ate, though we're not on the DDP....can't wait to try LeCellier!!

you reviews make me so excited for my August Honeymoon!!! I can't wait to eat at LeCellier!!! I've been dreaming of that cheese soup for months!

I hope y'all had a wonderful time!!!

Great tip on using AAA card at Earl Of Sandwich. :thumbsup2 We go there every trip and I never thought of that. I just knew they didnt take DDE card.

Great reviews!

Swimnoid said:
Great tip on using AAA card at Earl Of Sandwich. :thumbsup2 We go there every trip and I never thought of that. I just knew they didnt take DDE card.

Great reviews!

Do any other restaurants take AAA card?

Great Reviews..Definitely helping narrow done my choices for our first trip next year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter