Our First Family Disney Trip… Take Two! - May 2024 PTR (Update 5/15 x 3 - Day 5-7 Plans)

We’ll be up bright and early and grab a snack in the room before walking to the monorail. We’ll walk to the TTC and directly catch the Epcot monorail thanks to our prime location in the Polynesian Villas.

My favorite part of staying at the Poly!!!

Our plan for early entry is to go the opposite direction of 95% of the crowd racing toward Test Track and Frozen Ever After – we’re heading to Soarin’. M is VERY excited about Soarin’ and I think it’s a great first choice for Epcot. We’ll use rider swap so M may ride twice.

::yes:: This is the way!

Then it will be back to our resort for a well-deserved night of sleep!

Jenny, this whole day... *chefs kiss*. Couldn't plan this one better if you wanted to! Perfect plan.

My favorite part of staying at the Poly!!!

I’m so excited about the transportation options there! I’ve walked from the Poly to the Epcot monorail after a breakfast reservation and it was so easy!

::yes:: This is the way!

With the exception of Peter Pan on our first day (and possibly Remy on our second full Epcot day), we’re never heading to “the most popular” ride first. I’m happy to pay for ILL and Genie+ to avoid the shoving and crowding that’s involved with the “it” attraction!

Jenny, this whole day... *chefs kiss*. Couldn't plan this one better if you wanted to! Perfect plan.

Thank you! I’ve worked really hard to make plans that hit the important things but still work for us… I really appreciate your kind words!

Day 5 Plans
Monday, May 27th

I did it – I got a better time for our Crystal Palace breakfast! Now we’ll be able to enjoy up to an hour of early park touring time before stopping for breakfast with Pooh and friends. If we wrap up early we’ll check in early. I’m so excited!

We also received our last clothing order (a few things for L and a few shirts for me), so I can start prepping for packing. Speaking of packing, today I need to update our trip packing list so I can start checking things off as I go. I’m a bit old-school and print a customized packing list every time we travel – it helps me remember the unique-to-the-trip items every time!

Today’s Plans
Magic Kingdom
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

ADRs
Lunch – Cinderella’s Royal Table
Dinner – 1900 Park Fare

Genie+/ILL Priorities
Peter Pan’s Flight
TRON

After a fun resort day, we’ll be up bright and early for a full day at Magic Kingdom.

This is the day that gave me so much stress in the planning process – we kick off our morning with M’s appointment at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique!

M is SO excited about this experience. She’s been fairly consistent in her desire to dress up as Tinkerbelle (the only non-princess option, amusingly!) but occasionally mentions both Ariel and Rapunzel. My parents’ Valentine’s Day gift for M was the BBB so we’re going all-out with both the makeover and the character dress. Grandparents are sure different than parents – my parents are awesome but there’s no way they would’ve done the full BBB for us as kids! :laughing:

I scored one of the first appointments of the day so we should have plenty of park time after M becomes a fairy. Or a princess. Whatever she picks is up to her!

As M is initially aiming for Tinkerbelle, I’ll make our first lightning lane of the day for Peter Pan’s Flight. It may be our second time on this attraction if we’re lucky to be near the beginning of the rope drop line on our first day, but I never mind riding a classic again.

Other than Peter Pan, we’ll spend most of our morning in Tomorrowland. My husband and I may ride Space Mountain (M may be just tall enough but has zero interest in riding it) and I think everyone will enjoy Buzz Lightyear, the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, and the Peoplemover. The vacation joy may even lead me to offering to ride the Tomorrowland Speedway with M… maybe. :rotfl:

This will also be the best chance for my husband and I to ride TRON. I know everyone’s description of the ride is “it’s short” – but I’m still looking forward to trying it!

If we have any additional time, we’ll return to Fantasyland to reride another favorite before lunch.

Lunch will be a new-to-me restaurant – we’re having lunch with Cinderella in her castle. I’ve always bypassed this princess meal for Akershus (the cost!), but with a morning at BBB and two little girls it seemed like the right choice. I know the food can be hit or miss (especially for lunch), but I think the surroundings will make up for any shortcomings.

I know the princess lineup changes (and nothing is guaranteed), but I'm hoping we'll get lucky and get a chance to meet Merida. She's been mentioned several times on the dining board as being a recent regular princess at CRT. M loves Merida and CRT is our only shot at meeting her.

After lunch we’ll likely head out for our break, but I have one dilemma…

How are we going to see the Festival of Fantasy Parade?

A daily afternoon break is not very conducive to catching a 3:00 parade. I don’t want to exhaust the girls (and us!) by being in the parks all afternoon, but this parade is so fabulous I know everyone would love it. Perhaps we could walk over to the Contemporary and sit in their atrium for an hour while L naps in the stroller and then walk back for the parade? I’m just not sure how to balance seeing this parade with keeping the girls from meltdown mode come evening.

Hopefully we’ll take some sort of break before heading to our dinner ADR at the Grand Floridian. It would also be nice to have a chance to pack up part of the room as we'll be switching resorts the next day.

I stayed at the Grand Floridian back in 2015 and must admit I like this resort much more after staying there. It’s such a peaceful and lovely resort! It’s also the first (and as of now, only!) resort I’ve stayed on the monorail and agree the convenience is amazing. I try to book at least one ADR here per trip as I love wandering around the Grand Floridian.

We’ll be joining the wish-makers at 1900 Park Fare for dinner. I’m thrilled I experienced the Happily Ever After dinner once before they changed it up for the reopening – the stepsisters were a hoot! Nonetheless, I was so excited this restaurant reopened in time to eat here during our trip. Part of me wishes we were trying breakfast instead of dinner (some of their specialty items look so good!), but I think dinner will also be tasty.

After dinner, we’ll head back to Magic Kingdom for a few more attractions and to soak up a little more magic. Hopefully I can stack a lightning lane or two during the afternoon to cut our wait times.

We’ll head out before fireworks to get to bed at a reasonable time. This will also give us to pack up our stuff before departing in the morning.

Up Next: Day 6 Plans

Day 6 Plans
Tuesday, May 28th

Today’s Plans
Hollywood Studios
Check in to Beach Club Villas
Fantasmic!

ADRs
Lunch – 50’s Prime Time Café (Fantasmic Package)
Dinner – Beaches and Cream

Genie+/ILL Priorities
Slinky Dog Dash
Rise of the Resistance

This morning will be a little nuts. Somehow we’ll need to get everyone up, pack last-minute things, and get our luggage on its way to the Beach Club so we can get to Hollywood Studios in time for early entry at 8:30. Can we do it? :scared:

I have a bit of a conundrum for how to move our luggage for our split stay.

I’ve done split stays several times at Disney World, but I’ve always moved my own luggage. I can’t decide if it makes more sense to have Disney do the transfer or try and do it ourselves. I think it depends on how early we’re ready to go that morning.

Option 1:
If we’re nearly ready to go before 7:00, we’ll order a Minnie Van to take us and the luggage over to the Beach Club. We’ll drop the luggage at Bell Services and then either walk or Skyliner our way to the park. The advantage of this option is our luggage (including L’s nap gear) is guaranteed to be at the Beach Club as soon as our room is ready. This option also allows us to transfer cold storage items to the Beach Club as Bell Services will store it for us.

Option 2:
If we’re running behind (which is likely), we’ll call Bell Services and have them pick up the luggage for transfer to the Beach Club. I’ve actually never called Bell Services to assist with luggage in the room (I’m pretty sure they’ll do it at a deluxe, right?), so this will be new to me. Once they’ve picked up the luggage (or once we drag it to the GCH ourselves if we’re really behind), we’ll catch the bus to Hollywood Studios.

Which plan would you choose? Will it take too much time to call Bell Services to help with luggage or should we just wheel it across the resort ourselves? Would we appreciate having our bags available at the Beach Club early by transferring it ourselves? I’m not sure how much it will matter as DVC check-in is at 4:00, but perhaps we’d get lucky? I just don’t know!

Regardless, somehow we’ll check out of our room and head to the Studios.

Also, somewhere in the middle of this transfer hubbub I’ll be refreshing MDE precisely at 6:59:59 to score us a lightning lane for Slinky Dog Dash. And an ILL for Rise of the Resistance. Fingers crossed!

Our rope drop plan is to head immediately to Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. M is VERY excited to ride this (and so am I!), plus a family-friendly ride seems like the right choice to kick off our day.

If MMRR is down (which is common at the Studios), I have two backup plans.

Backup plan #1 (if M is interested), is to head straight down Sunset Boulevard to my favorite attraction – the Tower of Terror.

M is strangely excited to ride this with me, and honestly, I think she may enjoy it more than a roller coaster? She’s watched it a ton on YouTube so I don’t think the “creepy” parts should scare her.

If M is not feeling that, then instead we’ll head back to Toy Story Land and ride both Toy Story Mania and Alien Swirling Saucers. If Tom Bricker’s speed strategy works, then hopefully our Slinky Dog lightning lane will be close to regular opening time.

If we do start at MMRR, then we’ll still head to Toy Story Land next. I’m super excited to see it as it’s new to me. M and L should really enjoy it, too!

While M rides Slinky Dog Dash with G, I plan to get some breakfast totchos from Woody’s Lunch Box. I may even get a tart for M.

After we experience Toy Story Land, we’ll head to the other new-to-me land – Galaxy’s Edge.

I mentioned it in the Studios must-do post, but we’ll fair-weather Star Wars fans. My husband and I have seen the main nine movies, but that’s about it. Galaxy’s Edge still looks incredible, though, and I really look forward to exploring there!

I’ll have plenty of time to explore as L is not tall enough for either GE attraction. Thanks to rider swap M will get two rides on each of them (if desired) and I’ll wander through the shops with L while the others ride. I also hope to grab a Black Caf Cold Brew to enjoy as they look delicious!

If we manage to get a good time for Slinky Dog, I’ll book our ILL for Rise around the 10:00 hour. If not, perhaps I’ll book it earlier and we’ll double back for Slinky Dog.

If we still have time before our lunch ADR (everything will take longer due to the double rides), we’ll watch either the Muppets or ride Star Tours before lunch.

For lunch, we’re heading to 50’s Prime Time Café. I’ve eaten there every recent trip and I love that restaurant. I booked a Fantasmic Dining Package as I prefer to see Fantasmic without waiting in line for an hour. I’m sure I’ll get the pot roast (my favorite!) and will happily pay out of pocket for the peanut butter and jelly milkshake if it can’t count as my “dessert” with the package. I’m not sure if G will go for the fried chicken or the chicken pot pie.

Post-lunch, I’d love to catch a show (either Frozen Ever After or Beauty and the Beast) before heading to our new resort.

Today’s break will be a bit of a struggle. In an ideal world, our luggage will be available and our room will be ready early so we can get everything settled. However, this may be unrealistic as villas are rarely ready before the 4:00 check-in. I don’t know if I should sit with L in the Beach Club lobby (yay, A/C!) or do loops on the Skyliner to lull her to sleep in the stroller? :confused:

Do you have any good "park break + nap" ideas that don't involve resting in your room?

No matter how we get her to nap, all my fingers are crossed that we’re able to get us and our luggage into our new room before our dinner ADR. It would be nice to get the room set up before we head back to the park, especially since we’ll have a late night with Fantasmic.

Thankfully we have a short dinner commute as we’re eating at Beaches and Cream. I’m super excited about the ice cream! As for food, I’ll probably get a burger as the grilled cheese and tomato soup did not agree with my digestive system last time.

After dinner we’ll walk/boat/skyline our way back to the Studios.

If we didn’t catch the Frozen Sing Along before leaving, it would be great to watch it upon our return. We’ll also ride the Tower of Terror with a stacked lightning lane if we didn’t catch it first thing that morning. It may also be fun to meet Olaf!

We’ll be sure to head to the Fantasmic Theatre early enough to get a decent seat – perhaps one higher up so it’s easier to beat the crowd to the exit. I’m anticipating stroller parking will be a nightmare so I’m sure it will still take us a long time to exit the theatre and get on our way.

Fantasmic is a bit of a treat. My original plan was only one nighttime spectacular (the MK fireworks) but M insisted we see it after hearing the music and then watching the YouTube video. I think she’ll enjoy the story montages but will especially enjoy all the characters on the boat!

We’ll head out right after Fantasmic. Hopefully we had a chance to set up our room before dinner, but if not, we’ll do it as fast as possible when we return.

The good news is a late night means a rest day will follow… we’ll need it after the craziness today! o_O

Up Next: Day 7 Plans

Day 7 Plans
Wednesday, May 29th

Today’s Plans
Resort Time
Swimming at Stormalong Bay
Epcot
Magic Kingdom Extended Evening Hours (for Jenny)

ADRs
Breakfast – Topolino’s Terrace
Dinner – La Hacienda de San Angel

Genie+/ILL Priorities
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
TRON

We’ll get a chance to sleep in the morning, which will be welcome after the late night the night before.

All except me, however, who will be up bright and early to score a lightning lane for Remy. :rolleyes: We’re going to take it easy most of the day, but as we’re so close to Epcot (a five minute walk!) I thought it was a great opportunity to stack lightning lanes and knock out several of the heavy hitters in case there are technical issues on our next Epcot day.

The rest of the family can get up later as our breakfast reservation isn’t until mid-morning.

Our breakfast at Topolino’s Terrace was unsurprisingly the hardest ADR to book. I don’t recommend booking this breakfast at 60+1 unless you’re not picky about your dining time. There were a few available ADRs when our window opened but the earliest I could book was 11:40am.

That’s not an ideal time when you have a toddler who naps and who would love a chance to splash in the fantastic Beach Club pool complex.

I placed a request with an ADR finder but wasn’t very confident in it due to Disney’s ADR booking changes. As such, I searched a dozen times per day around the 30-day mark to try and get a better time.

It took a ton of attempts, but I succeeded and moved our breakfast up two hours! I’d still love to move it closer to 9:00, but if not, we’re still in great shape. We should have no problem hopping on the skyliner to ride to Riviera for our breakfast with Mickey.

I’m torn on what to order at this breakfast as several things look so good! If they don’t let me order some eggs for L (as she’s free), I may need to take one for the team and bypass the quiche or the sour cream waffle in order to get scrambled eggs. I imagine M will choose the waffle dippers.

After breakfast and taking in the beautiful views at the Riviera, we’ll head back to the Beach Club and enjoy swimming at that fantastic waterpark-esque pool. I know both girls will love the sand bottom pool and I think all of us will enjoy the lazy river. We’ll see if M is brave enough to try the big jib waterslide!

I doubt we’ll be very hungry after our big breakfast, but we could share a lunch or two from Hurricane Hanna’s. I’ll take advantage of my refillable mug with plenty of iced tea.

We’ll put L down for a nap and then head into Epcot in the mid- to late-afternoon. I’ll do my best to adjust our return time for Remy so we can ride shortly after entering from the International Gateway. We’ll also spend some time exploring additional countries that we didn’t look through on our first Epcot day.

We have a dinner reservation at La Hacienda de San Angel. I’ve eaten there twice and enjoyed my meal both times. Mexican food is always a winner with my family and I chose this over the more popular San Angel Inn as the light-filled restaurant would be preferred by my kids.

If I’m lucky enough to score another coveted lightning lane, we’ll ride Frozen Ever After once we’ve finished dinner. If not, perhaps we’ll try another Epcot ride or two.

The remaining plans for this evening are a bit up in the air.

Ideally, I’d love a chance to go to the extended evening hours at Magic Kingdom. I love being in Magic Kingdom at night and the old evening extra magic hours were my favorite time at MK. The kids may also benefit from an early bedtime with two more park days on the horizon. If it works out, my husband will walk back to the resort with the kids and get them to bed while I travel to MK. I may also walk back with them and get L to sleep before heading to MK.

If my extended evening hours dreams come true, I have several must-dos. I’ll stack a few lightning lanes during the day to enjoy another ride on Pirates and Haunted Mansion. I’d also love to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (and perhaps 7DMT) at night as it’s an entirely different experience. I may even ride Dumbo again as it’s beautiful all lit up.

My other big must-dos include Space Mountain (if I missed it on our last Magic Kingdom day) and TRON. I’ll purchase an ILL in the morning to reduce my wait in line and may even try for the virtual queue at 6:00pm.

Although the attractions are my main priority, I’d also love to soak in some Magic Kingdom atmosphere. Perhaps I’ll grab a Cream Cheese pretzel and people watch or catch a last-minute spot to watch HEA again. It will be wonderful to be back at Magic Kingdom after eight long years away!

I look forward to the day when my kids are older and my whole family can enjoy a late night in Magic Kingdom together.

I’ll toe the line between being a reasonable adult and soaking in every last moment of solo park time. As excited as I am to bring my family (especially my girls) to Disney World, I will love a few moments to enjoy the park without distractions. :goodvibes

Once I’m back at the BCV I’ll go straight to bed. We have another full park day coming up!

Up Next: Day 8 Plans

I did it – I got a better time for our Crystal Palace breakfast! Now we’ll be able to enjoy up to an hour of early park touring time before stopping for breakfast with Pooh and friends. If we wrap up early we’ll check in early. I’m so excited!

Congrats!

I’m a bit old-school and print a customized packing list every time we travel – it helps me remember the unique-to-the-trip items every time!

I have a notebook for each trip. I make my packing list using the information from previous trips and add or subtract as needed. I also cross things off as I pack them and them highlight the last few items that must be packed at the last minute.

As M is initially aiming for Tinkerbelle, I’ll make our first lightning lane of the day for Peter Pan’s Flight. It may be our second time on this attraction if we’re lucky to be near the beginning of the rope drop line on our first day, but I never mind riding a classic again.

Peter Pan would be my choice.

This will also be the best chance for my husband and I to ride TRON. I know everyone’s description of the ride is “it’s short” – but I’m still looking forward to trying it!

It may be short but it's still a thrill.

. I’ve always bypassed this princess meal for Akershus (the cost!), but with a morning at BBB and two little girls it seemed like the right choice.

Every Princess needs to eat in the castle.

How are we going to see the Festival of Fantasy Parade?

That's a hard one.

I have a bit of a conundrum for how to move our luggage for our split stay.

I've never had my luggage moved so I'm no help. Good luck!

Our rope drop plan is to head immediately to Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. M is VERY excited to ride this (and so am I!), plus a family-friendly ride seems like the right choice to kick off our day.

This is the perfect family ride to start with.

. I’m super excited to see it as it’s new to me. M and L should really enjoy it, too!

Toy Story Land is so cute and fun looking.

We’ll get a chance to sleep in the morning, which will be welcome after the late night the night before.

You do need that extra sleep.

Ideally, I’d love a chance to go to the extended evening hours at Magic Kingdom. I

I hope you make it. MK is the best park for riding rides alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter