Our Magical "Fjords, Vikings and Castles" Norway Cruise - June 2015 - w/ pics - Completed!

Thanks, I read your trip report when you posted but I booked Norway for next year and I love the panning stage.

Us too! We didn't book DCL this time, but the ports are close to the same. Can't wait to plan our days! This TR is great for reference. Beautiful pics too!

Us too! We didn't book DCL this time, but the ports are close to the same. Can't wait to plan our days! This TR is great for reference. Beautiful pics too!
Thanks Jodie! I've been referencing your Alaska trip report as we are doing Alaska again next summer and going to see bears!! Great report and awesome photos!

Day 7: Geiranger (Continued) - Geiranger Overlooks

We encountered another troll.

DSC_0389c.jpg

Hi disneyfaninaz, we were on the same cruise as you! That's my brother, one of my nephews and my younger daughter behind the troll in your photo!

Thanks for the trip report. It sure brings back fond memories.

Hi disneyfaninaz, we were on the same cruise as you! That's my brother, one of my nephews and my younger daughter behind the troll in your photo!

Thanks for the trip report. It sure brings back fond memories.
"It's a Small World After All. . ." :rolleyes1 Thanks for reading!

"It's a Small World After All. . ." :rolleyes1 Thanks for reading!

Just want to say thanks for the great report. We did this cruise this year (6/29/16), and I just read your full report now. It helped me greatly to prepare for a power-point presentation I've been asked to give for our adult travel series at our local library. We have so many of the same pictures of Copenhagen and the Ports of Norway.

We visited Carlsburg Brewery (to get beer to take aboard) and also came across the Rio Bravo restaurant in Copenhagen. The Elephant Drive sure is a highlight at the brewery. Funny, we had coffee & macaroons at the same out-of-the-way restaurant in Stavanger too.

We will be returning for the Baltic cruise next June, and you helped identify for us places we missed in Copenhagen that we definitely will take in this time. Note: We stayed at the Avenue Hotel for 3 nights, which was wonderful. We had a great breakfast included in our price of about $190/night. They also serve free wine in the evening. It's located in a quiet area, as long as you get a room in the back away from the main avenue, and it's about 4 blocks from a Metro station. Once again thank you! I know this takes a lot of work to do.

Day 7: Geiranger (Continued) - Geiranger Overlooks

Important information for the day.

DSC_0242c.jpg

When we were cleared to disembark, DCL photographers were there on the Sea Walk ready to take our pictures. It was the best group picture we took the entire trip!

It was extremely windy and a little drizzly. However, we found the Sea Walk to be as stable as any pier on land. It was cool walking across it.

DSC_0250_01.jpg

Here is a cute little café.

DSC_0254_01.jpg

Again, because of the wheelchair, DNC arranged for a private van to take us to the overlooks and up to Mt. Dalsnibba. We met our driver and a 9 passenger van. It started raining as we found our driver and loaded up the van. It was close quarters, but it was wonderful as the driver took us to the various overlooks. He started heading out one side of the village towards Eagle Bend road with these 11 hairpin turns.

DSC_0258_01.jpg

All along the way we had great view of the Magic.

DSC_0260_01.jpg

Some of the countryside on the way up.

DSC_0274_01.jpg

DSC_0277_01.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280_01.jpg

DSC_0283_01.jpg

DSC_0287_01.jpg

Then he stopped at one overlook.

DSC_0289_01.jpg

DSC_0294_01.jpg

Then we reached Eagle’s Bend overlook. This is a beautifully designed overlook, not just a cut out in the road.

DSC_0323_01.jpg

DSC_0328_01.jpg

DSC_0329_02.jpg

DSC_0337_01.jpg

DSC_0342_01.jpg

We had several minutes here to take pictures by ourselves before a tour bus unloaded.

We had to go back through Geiranger to get up to Mt. Dalsnibba. We stopped at the Flydalsjuvet overlook after going back through town.

DSC_0351_01.jpg

DSC_0357_01.jpg

It was touch and go on whether the road to Mt. Dalsnibba would be open. They started clearing the road in May and had to suspend operations because of avalanches. I was watching ICruiser’s thread on Cruise Critic and he let us know that the road opened about a week before we got here. The higher we climbed, the less visibility there was to the bottom of the fjord.

DSC_0369_01.jpg

Once we made our way up the winding road with the snow piled 8 feet high on the sides of the road, we couldn’t tell where the snow ended and the sky began.

DSC_0375_02.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

Helicopter tours were going on.

DSC_0377_02.jpg

We got to the top and actually got snowed on. DD and DH even had a snowball fight. I was expecting “Marshmallow” to come out at any time to defend Elsa’s ice castle.

DSC_0382.jpg

We encountered another troll.

DSC_0389c.jpg

After our overlook tour we were dropped back into town near the pier. We passed this tour bus on the way back down. You can see how high the snow is actually piled.

DSC_0395_01.jpg

Next: Waterfall Walk
Can you tell me the name of the tour company?

Thank you so much for the report. I came across for this report by accident while searching for the cruise report related to the one we just finished and another one that we are looking into, and was so pleasantly surprised to see my DS's and DD's names on the "guest animators" credits (Post #94). We had a great experience but did not document much so this really allowed me to relive the moments and recall all the wonderful sights and family time last year!

This is the third time I read this trip report, on the 19th I can book my excursions to my Norway cruise and I need to figure out what I really want to do. In Bergen I am doing exactly what you did, I may buy the Mt Floyen tickets in advance online. In Geiranger I want to go to Dalsnibba and do the fjord boat but Disney don't have that option, In Alesund notbsure yet, but maybe I am taking the city train and then walk the city. And last in Stavanger I want to see the 3 swords and also the Lysefjord cruise, and thats not an option with Disney either.

linetbo, I can tell you that booking Dalsnibba and the fjord boat tour is very easy on your own. You meet right at the end of the dock going into town. You can book these tours at Geriganerjordservice.com. It is also very easy to book the Lysefjord cruise through Rodne.no. The Three Swords are a bit out of town, so you may have to take a cab to get there. I would do the fjord cruise first. You should have time afterward to go see the swords. Have a great time!

linetbo, I can tell you that booking Dalsnibba and the fjord boat tour is very easy on your own. You meet right at the end of the dock going into town. You can book these tours at Geriganerjordservice.com. It is also very easy to book the Lysefjord cruise through Rodne.no. The Three Swords are a bit out of town, so you may have to take a cab to get there. I would do the fjord cruise first. You should have time afterward to go see the swords. Have a great time!
Thank you!

We walked off the ship about 0900 in Bergen, and got to Mt Floyen around 11:30. We walked through a bunch of shops on the way there (it was our only stop where we decided to concentrate on shopping, and the fish market). There was only a 15 minute wait to buy tickets for the tram up Mt Floyen....I think a lot of people headed there early, so I think we were behind the crowds. But definitely glad we did it, there were some amazing views, and our kids had fun on the playground up top....with a lot of their friends from the kids club:)!

I loved reading your trip report and your pictures are beautiful! We will be visiting Alesund and Stavagner on our 11 night Norway/Iceland cruise in June and reading your report is helpful in my planning. Out of curiosity what type of camera did you use for your pictures? I want to buy an new camera for our trip and just started doing some research. I don't think pictures on an iPhone will do the scenery justice.

I loved reading your trip report and your pictures are beautiful! We will be visiting Alesund and Stavagner on our 11 night Norway/Iceland cruise in June and reading your report is helpful in my planning. Out of curiosity what type of camera did you use for your pictures? I want to buy an new camera for our trip and just started doing some research. I don't think pictures on an iPhone will do the scenery justice.

I used a Nikon D5000 with a Nikon 18-300 lense. I just recently upgraded to a Nikon D5500, but they now have a D5600 out.

Last edited:
Thanks for reading.

I'll have to ask them about the deets. However, Rodne provided both tours. So we had the same Lyesfjord experience. The only difference is Baker's Paradise Yes, if you want to see the fjord, I highly recommend Rodne. They were great!
Not sure if you are still following your thread but loving reading it as I just booked the Iceland/Norway 2019 cruise! Question: Were you able to book the Lysefjord Cruise tour in Stavenger ahead of time to guarantee your tickets? It appears to be half the cost of DCL's!

Not sure if you are still following your thread but loving reading it as I just booked the Iceland/Norway 2019 cruise! Question: Were you able to book the Lysefjord Cruise tour in Stavenger ahead of time to guarantee your tickets? It appears to be half the cost of DCL's!
Thank you for your kind words. :flower3: Yes, I booked with Rodne Fjord Cruise as soon as I found out that I couldn't book the DCL tour. There were plenty of tickets left 90 days out. It was a wonderful excursion.

We just booked the August 2019 7 Day Fjords cruise, and yours is the first trip report I have found. It makes me wish we were leaving tomorrow instead of 18 months from now. Your photos are absolutely stunning. I especially enjoyed the snow photos. I am afraid that in late August we won't see much if any snow or even snowcaps, and the waterfalls may not be very strong, but I am sure the green will be spectacular. I especially appreciate your references to the various independent booking companies for the tours. That is one advantage of booking so far ahead--I have plenty of time to research. But thanks for giving me an outline and a visual idea of what we might expect. I know it takes time to do a detailed trip report like this, but it is such a valuable resource for those of us who follow. I don't know how you did all this without one to guide your choices.

We just booked the August 2019 7 Day Fjords cruise, and yours is the first trip report I have found. It makes me wish we were leaving tomorrow instead of 18 months from now. Your photos are absolutely stunning. I especially enjoyed the snow photos. I am afraid that in late August we won't see much if any snow or even snowcaps, and the waterfalls may not be very strong, but I am sure the green will be spectacular. I especially appreciate your references to the various independent booking companies for the tours. That is one advantage of booking so far ahead--I have plenty of time to research. But thanks for giving me an outline and a visual idea of what we might expect. I know it takes time to do a detailed trip report like this, but it is such a valuable resource for those of us who follow. I don't know how you did all this without one to guide your choices.
:thanks: Thank you for reading and your kind words. I'm so glad that my report can help with your planning. Norway is such a beautiful country, I know you will have a very memorable time! Actually, depending on the amount of snow they get next winter, the waterfalls may be running very strong indeed in August. Good luck with your planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter