Our Very Merry USO, DCL, and WDW Christmas Break!

missjackiemcg

DIS Veteran
Well, clever titles escape me, but I've delayed long enough, and if I don't start now, I may never get going!

Our trip took place over Christmas Break 2019. We (OK, I!) absolutely love being at Disney World for Christmas, so I am always game for spending the holidays there rather than at home where we have to drive all over the city and suburbs to see everyone. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, it's just so much more magical to celebrate where I can monorail to my destinations and let someone else do the driving!

So, who are we?!

132673130 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr​
My Mom and Dad, my DH, Rob, and our 10 year old son, Jimmy. We travel well together and have done Disney on two other trips together (besides the ones that were just us 3!) You can't read about the first time because I hadn't discovered the DIS yet, but you can enjoy our 12 days of Disney Vow Renewal adventure if you like; it's in my signature!

A few years ago, my Dad mentioned to my Mom that the only way he'd ever do Disney again was if we could do a Disney Cruise. She was hyper nervous about the thought of cruising, but seemed open to the possibility SOMEDAY. We started talking about the idea of making it a Christmas cruise (enhances the magic, you see!?) and she got a little more interested. I reached out to my DIS friend, @ariane37 for some information and quotes, and before I knew it we were booked! I believe our original countdown was 500 or so days, so we had some time to plan and wait!! My Mom (and I, on behalf of my Mom usually LOL) probably emailed Ariane a million times during the course of that time, but she was so patient with all of our questions and had us well prepared for our amazing trip!

Real Life Update before we get started: We came home from our incredible trip and spent the next couple weekends celebrating Christmas with family and friends who had missed over the actual holiday. On January 12th, we were with my parents, my brother and sister-in-law having dinner and getting ready to open presents when she suddenly went into labor at just 25 weeks. My nephew Liam was born much too early, but valiantly survived 12 days. On the same day he was born, I was diagnosed with shingles, which meant I was the only person in our family who couldn't go see him. Liam had bilateral bleeding on his brain, and though doctors had been hopeful at first, there just wasn't anything more they could do to save him or insure his quality of life. On January 23rd, we gathered as a family to say goodbye to our sweet angel, Liam.

The last almost month has been heartbreakingly hard on our family, especially my brother and his wife, but also the rest of our family who became immediately attached and in love with Liam. I've found it hard to find things to smile about and just felt down in the dumps, but am really working hard at trying to turn things around mentally. I thought the best thing I could do for myself right now is give in to some DIS time and finally get going on this TR!!

So, join me if you will!!

DECEMBER 21, 2019
We got up dark and early to head to my parents' house where our limo would be picking us up for the drive to the airport. Since we wouldn't be home for Christmas Eve, Jimmy's number one concerns were sprinkling reindeer food outside and making sure Santa's treats and beverage were stocked and ready for his arrival!

20191221_061818 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20191221_061022 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We were picked up at my parents' house, dropped off and through security without too much time to wait before we would board. It did not matter to me that it was only 8:30 a.m. We always have a drink before we fly, and Jimmy got in on it with a root beer this morning, too.
20191221_085705 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Before long, we had boarded our plane and were ready to fly! Jimmy, who never travels alone, had a bag full of "guys" to keep his company. Buddy and Baby (the bald Cabbage Patch kid) were the lucky ones who actually got to get out of the bag during the flight, so they could take in the sights in the clouds together. Yes, he's 10. Yes, he's a boy. Yes, he has an American girl doll. (Actually he has 2 more at home!) He's going to be the best Dad in the world. :lovestruc
20191221_103437 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
20191221_103543 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

20191221_120743 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We paid for Universal's Star Shuttle to pick us up at MCO and take us back to the hotel. It was a very easy check-in process at their desk, and I was given a little portfolio with all of our printed tickets and photo voucher inside, along with some coupons we didn't get a chance to use. They sent us outside to wait for our name to be called to board.

I expected a shrink wrapped bus like the one on their website that has Harry Potter and Minions, etc. on it...we were actually called over to board an old, white, short motor coach looking thing that had the ricketiest windows and doors I've ever heard! They rattled and shook so hard the entire way to Cabana Bay Beach...I was really glad the ride was short LOL But it was quick and convenient, though noisy!

We checked in and were quickly up to our room to change, unpack a little and head out to City Walk. We took the walking path across the street to the other hotel and took their boat transport to City Walk. On our way through the lobby, we ran into Bob!
20191221_155006 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Jimmy had chosen our dinner for tonight, and it was Pat O'Brien's. (We love all things New Orleans, and since he LOVED the real Pat O's, this was an easy choice for him! We ate there on our last USO trip, as well.)
20191221_171318 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

My Dad and Jimmy enjoyed trying to stump the piano player with their song requests, and Jimmy even requested "Dancing Queen" for me :) It was a perfect meal to start our vacation, and we were excited to head back to the hotel to explore a bit and get ready for our one park day in the morning!

Last edited:
Hi Jackie! Joining in!

First let me say how sorry I am about your nephew :( What a devastating loss, I hope you are all doing ok.

I hope recapping this trip will bring a smile to your face.

What a great selfie of you all on the plane!

Sounds like a great first meal of the trip!

I am joining in as well. I am so, so sad to hear of your heartbreaking loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family as you grieve the loss of your sweet angel, Liam. ❤️

I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip and hope that writing about it brings you some joy and happiness.

I'm here Jackie and can't wait to hear all about your trip!!!!

my brother and sister-in-law having dinner and getting ready to open presents when she suddenly went into labor at just 25 weeks. My nephew Liam was born much too early, but valiantly survived 12 days. On the same day he was born, I was diagnosed with shingles, which meant I was the only person in our family who couldn't go see him. Liam had bilateral bleeding on his brain, and though doctors had been hopeful at first, there just wasn't anything more they could do to save him or insure his quality of life. On January 23rd, we gathered as a family to say goodbye to our sweet angel, Liam.
I am soooooo sorry Jackie. My love and prayers are with your family. I can't even imagine the heartbreak you are all going through...

It did not matter to me that it was only 8:30 a.m. We always have a drink before we fly, and Jimmy got in on it with a root beer this morning, too.
Yep, that's one of the reasons we are friends. Joe and I do the same thing... :D

Joining in Jackie! I’m so sorry for your family’s loss, how hard it must be. My son Jack was born at 28 weeks and we had many ups and downs the first 2 months. I can’t imagine, my thoughts are with you and your family

I’m excited to follow along on your Christmas adventures!

Hi Jackie!
Absolutely loved your vow renewal trip; it gave me some ideas and planning tips for our upcoming 25th anniversary trip!

My heartfelt condolences on your family's loss of Liam (my favorite boy's name).

I hope that writing this helps to bring happier thoughts to your heart and mind. I know we will enjoy the journey!

Your trip is off to a great start! I also like going in December but I've never been there for Christmas. Anxious to read how it all went. So sorry to hear about your family's loss. And shingles on top of all that. Hope reliving your happy memories helps chase away the blues.

I reached out to my TA and DIS friend, @ariane37

Real Life Update before we get started:
I was heartbroken for you when I saw this on FB and really don't know what to say except how sorry I am for you and your family :hug: And then shingles ugh! My best friend had shingles a few years ago and it was NOT pleasant. I hope writing this serves as good therapy xoxo
Yes, he's 10. Yes, he's a boy. Yes, he has an American girl doll. (Actually he has 2 more at home!) He's going to be the best Dad in the world. :lovestruc
All the :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 And also FYI, Ricky will be 18 in April and still sleeps with his "Bullseye" stuffed horse he made as a present for using the potty when he was 3! He wouldn't be happy I'm sharing this lol but he also says Bullseye is going to college with him. Not sure if I think that's cute yet :D
We paid for Universal's Star Shuttle to pick us up at MCO and take us back to the hotel. It was a very easy check-in process at their desk, and I was given a little portfolio with all of our printed tickets and photo voucher inside, along with some coupons we didn't get a chance to use. They sent us outside to wait for our name to be called to board.
Yeah lol! It's not DME! I mean it does what it's supposed to do and gets you where you need to go, pretty much as basically as it can!

Can't wait to read more!

First , sorry for the loss of your nephew. I can’t even begin to comprehend the sorry and grief your family is going through. Prayers lifted .

looking forward to reading more about your Christmas adventures .

Hi Jackie! Joining in!

First let me say how sorry I am about your nephew :( What a devastating loss, I hope you are all doing ok.

I hope recapping this trip will bring a smile to your face.
Yay, first one here :) Thank you so much. My DIS time definitely helps!

I am joining in as well. I am so, so sad to hear of your heartbreaking loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family as you grieve the loss of your sweet angel, Liam. ❤

I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip and hope that writing about it brings you some joy and happiness.
Thank you so much. Our family has been through a lot, but it honestly has brought us even closer together, so in some odd way Liam has blessed our lives even through his absence. Looking forward to sharing!

I'm here Jackie and can't wait to hear all about your trip!!!!
Hi, Jenny! :) Looking forward to sharing!!

Joining in Jackie! I’m so sorry for your family’s loss, how hard it must be.
I’m excited to follow along on your Christmas adventures!
Thanks, Caroline! It has definitely been the start of an unpleasant journey, but we are working through it all together.

I'm excited to share our adventure, too!

Hi Jackie!
Absolutely loved your vow renewal trip; it gave me some ideas and planning tips for our upcoming 25th anniversary trip!

My heartfelt condolences on your family's loss of Liam (my favorite boy's name).

I hope that writing this helps to bring happier thoughts to your heart and mind. I know we will enjoy the journey!
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed reading about our vow renewal trip. It was SO much fun!! I'm hoping to do another in a few years for our 20th anniversary; maybe on a Disney Cruise this time around?

I appreciate your kind thoughts for our Liam. I'm looking forward to reliving some of the joy from our trip!

Your trip is off to a great start! I also like going in December but I've never been there for Christmas. Anxious to read how it all went. So sorry to hear about your family's loss. And shingles on top of all that. Hope reliving your happy memories helps chase away the blues.
It was crowded as we knew it would be, but Christmas at WDW is just so magical, I can't help but keep going back!!

Ugh, yes, those awful shingles. Thankfully they didn't stick around long or cause me too many complications other than keeping me from seeing my nephew!

I was heartbroken for you when I saw this on FB and really don't know what to say except how sorry I am for you and your family :hug: And then shingles ugh! My best friend had shingles a few years ago and it was NOT pleasant. I hope writing this serves as good therapy xoxo
Thank you SO much, Ariane! It has been a rough journey for sure, but so thankful our family has been pulled closer than ever despite it all.

Looking forward to my DIS therapy!

First , sorry for the loss of your nephew. I can’t even begin to comprehend the sorry and grief your family is going through. Prayers lifted .

looking forward to reading more about your Christmas adventures .
Thank you so much for keeping us in your prayers. I'm looking forward to sharing here!

We made our way back to Cabana Bay Beach after dinner using the buses instead of the boat this time around, as it had started raining. My Mom and Dad were really impressed with the one security station for all incoming park guests versus some of the park security lines we have been faced with at WDW!

We dropped out things off at the room then headed down to Swizzle, the lobby bar. We grabbed a few drinks, and I was DELIGHTED because I was finally able to have my first Ugly Sweater Miller Lite, which I'd been unable to track down thus far this holiday season! We bumped into a special North Pole visitor relaxing before the big delivery night coming up later that week!

20191221_190255 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 137322 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

It was such a beautiful evening that we moved our party out onto the big comfy couches outside the pool area. Even though it was still a bit rainy, this area has a big roof over it, so we were able to enjoy the space quite nicely! Santa even came by and kicked his feet up with us.

137324 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We walked around the hotel for a bit checking out the bowling alley, game room, and fitness center. We really enjoyed our time spent here 2 summers ago, and I was actually a little sad we would only be here for such a short stay.

20191221_203906 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We headed back to the room to relax and get things ready for our early morning and ONE park day! We planned to see and do it all...well, most of it! :)

20191221_185127 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I’m so sorry again for the loss of your nephew :hug: And on top of all that, I did not know you had shingles! What a terrible way to start 2020.

I hope writing this brings you a little happiness and hope things are going in a better direction for you.

I’m excited to hear about your Merrytime Cruise! I’ve never been on a specialty cruise but I think I might like this or the Halloween cruises!

Hi, :wave2: joining in. I remember reading your Disney Vow Renewal trip report.

So so sorry to hear about your nephew. 😥

I've never seen the Miller Lite sweater bottle. It's the little things that make me smile.

I can't wait to hear all about the cruise. It's been a few years since I was on the Dream but it was wonderful.

Joining in!

So very sorry to hear about your nephew but glad your family has come together to get through it.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

What great pics with Santa! Sounds like a fun and relaxing evening!
It was SUCH a nice way to spend our first night on vacation!! :) I love that picture with Santa where he just joined us on the couch! Such a fun memory for sure.

I’m so sorry again for the loss of your nephew :hug: And on top of all that, I did not know you had shingles! What a terrible way to start 2020.
Thanks, Kelly!! And I don't think I ever properly thanked you for being there to listen and help me during Liam's NICU stay. I appreciate it more than you'll ever know!!!

Hi, :wave2: joining in. I remember reading your Disney Vow Renewal trip report.

So so sorry to hear about your nephew. 😥

I've never seen the Miller Lite sweater bottle. It's the little things that make me smile.

I can't wait to hear all about the cruise. It's been a few years since I was on the Dream but it was wonderful.
Hi, again!! :) Thanks so much. He continues to be on our minds and in our hearts!

For some reason, I am STILL finding Miller Lite sweater pints at the store by my house LOL....so, now I'm over it!

I'd love to go on a cruise again soon, but not sure it's in the budget. Looking forward to reliving it here!

Joining in!

So very sorry to hear about your nephew but glad your family has come together to get through it.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!
Hi!! :) Welcome aboard, and thank you so much for those kind words. I'm excited to share, and will have an update here shortly!

How nice of Santa to join you on the couch! LOVE!
It was so unexpected and made for such a fun picture :)

So, when I left off, we were lounging poolside with Santa before heading to our room for the night, BUT I forgot to tell you this little tidbit that happened while we were out there.

When we went down to Swizzle for our drinks, I stopped at the Universal Orlando desk where I presumed the helpful, smiling faces at the desk would be able to confirm our Breakfast with the Grinch time for the morning. I was pretty certain the time was 8 a.m. but couldn't for the life of me locate the email where Ariane confirmed it for me. I had the ticket vouchers from our packet when we checked in for the Universal shuttle, but it didn't have the time printed, and I am SUPER Type A, so needed to be sure.

I was flabbergasted (I just love that word, and this is the perfect place to use it!) at the way the USO woman spoke to me. She acted like I was some bum off the street trying to get a free breakfast off of her or something. She kept saying things like, "Well if your TA did in fact book you a breakfast, they would have given you a time." I tried to help her comprehend that I knew we had reservations, simply needed to confirm the time, so we would arrive when we were supposed to. She told me, "We don't do that here." I was confused, but more P.O.ed honestly. I stormed off as I loudly said over my shoulder, "Yea, and THAT is why I spend MY money at Disney World!"

Just an annoying moment before I happily settled into my Miller Lite sweater beer with Santa by my side, and my amazing friend just a text away, Ariane, who calmed me down and confirmed our reservation was indeed for 8 a.m. :) Thanks, @ariane37 once again!

Sunday, December 22nd

We were up bright and early...well, dark and rainy really, but up and excited to head to Islands of Adventure for Breakfast with the Grinch to kick off our day! Three buses awaited us outside, so we were on our way as soon as a few more people hopped on. The proximity to City Walk and the parks is really a perk of visiting USO vs. WDW, way less travel time necessary!

One of us was just a tad excited to get this day started as we strolled through City Walk to head for the park gate:
20191222_073242 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

When we arrived at the gates, there was a TM with a sign directing us all the way to the left to check in for our breakfast. After confirming we were on the list, we tried to huddle in with the other guests who were waiting to enter the park. It was annoyingly drizzling and I was really hoping this wouldn't put a damper on our whole day, especially for riding the Incredible Hulk and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, which were my MUSTS for the day.

About 10 minutes later, we were led through an empty park to Seussville where we would wait in another short line before finally being led into the Circus McGurkus restaurant.
20191222_075131 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_075333 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

As we were escorted to our table (Table #1) the TM offered to stop and take our picture in this very lovely red brothel lit area! At least we're smiling, despite our red faces!
20191222_075749 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We barely had time to get settled into our booth when Thing 1 and Thing 2 scurried over. I had put together an autograph book for Jimmy, and they were VERY excited to each have their own page to sign. They chased Jimmy around a little and kept poking and tickling him, which was so fun to see. Sometimes as a 10 year old he looks so big to me, but listening to that giggle and seeing how happy he was to be here just made my heart smile and brought happy little tears to my eyes! Even my Dad got in on the fun. I feel like I can hear his laugh when I look at his picture.
20191222_080328 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_080348 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_080400 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

When the Things had moved along to Table 2, we snuck over to the buffet to get started eating. I wish I had taken pictures of everything, as a good DISer would do, but you will surely find out that this is in no way a Dining TR. I fail at this every trip despite my best efforts when we set out!

There were Green Eggs and Ham, of course, ON PIZZA!! Sounds disgusting...was pretty delicious. They also had a potato dish with some clever name I can't remember that was sliced potatoes with onions and all kinds of peppers baked with cheese on top. I am drooling now thinking about that, too. However, the only thing you will get to see is the Grinch cookie (note the little heart before it grew 3 sizes!) and the Grinch punch, which was so disgustingly sweet I couldn't drink it, but made for a really cute Instagram pic!
20191222_081200 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

As we headed back to our table, the Things were still in the area, and pulled us (carrying our plates!) into a conga line back to table #1. And who was waiting for us there? None other than the Cat in the Hat himself! My Dad used to read me that story ad nauseum when I was little, so I was Super excited we got to meet him together.
20191222_080719 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

More Whos from Whoville stopped by to sing carols (they made Jimmy sing and do a dance with them) and chit chat with Grandpa and Jimmy about the best place to buy and hang Who-Holiday decor. Everything was so silly and so perfectly fun.
20191222_080927 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_081118 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_082754 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

When the park officially opened, we could see people out the window zipping by as they were running to get to Hagrid's Magical Creature coaster. I wasn't thinking we'd be able to ride today anyway, but I had a little twinge of jealousy for sure. It was also pouring rain at that time, which had me a little sulky about potentially not being able to ride the rollercoasters outside today. But, the biggest let down at that moment was they kept announcing the Grinch was running late today; something to do with Max, but I was just not pleased! We had been there an hour and were getting antsy.

Thankfully before TOO long, the Grinch had arrived, and we enjoyed a brief, albeit entertaining conversation with him. He liked my bow, said I must have been hanging out with Cindy Lou Who!
132684048 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 132684052 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

And just like that our Breakfast with the Grinch was over. We grabbed our things from table #1 and were off to see where the day would take us next!

You can really see the joy all over Jimmy's face. I think he enjoyed the breakfast. Good start to the day.

I love that Santa hung out with you and LOVE all the pictures from the Grinch breakfast! We met the Grinch at our Uni training in Dec. and he hung out with us for awhile; he was hysterical- great adult humor since we were a room of 100 adults lol. Two of the "Who's" were there too and I gotta say, their noses bothered me :rotfl2: Like how did they DO that? It looked totally uncomfortable and like they couldn't breathe but apparently they can lol. Also liked hearing about the food; you don't read many reviews of this breakfast.

I was more than happy to help with the breakfast thing :rolleyes: It's like that random CM you get in Disney; not sure what's up with them but the interaction is less than magical. One issue with Uni is that everything is run by different companies and one doesn't know and can't help with the rest! Resorts are Loew's parks are Universal. Restaurants are not Universal either and it does cause issues and annoyances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!