Our Very Merry USO, DCL, and WDW Christmas Break!

Hi Jackie! What an awesomely fun breakfast. This is something I’d definitely like to do ❤️

I meant to tell you that I can’t helieve how big Jimmy is getting. He’s adorable ❤️

She acted like I was some bum off the street trying to get a free breakfast off of her or something. She kept saying things like, "Well if your TA did in fact book you a breakfast, they would have given you a time." I tried to help her comprehend that I knew we had reservations, simply needed to confirm the time, so we would arrive when we were supposed to. She told me, "We don't do that here." I was confused, but more P.O.ed honestly. I stormed off as I loudly said over my shoulder, "Yea, and THAT is why I spend MY money at Disney World!"

What?? That's so rude and not helpful at all >:(

One of us was just a tad excited to get this day started as we strolled through City Walk to head for the park gate:
20191222_073242 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Ha! Great pic!

the only thing you will get to see is the Grinch cookie (note the little heart before it grew 3 sizes!) and the Grinch punch, which was so disgustingly sweet I couldn't drink it, but made for a really cute Instagram pic!
20191222_081200 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Yum ::yes::

But, the biggest let down at that moment was they kept announcing the Grinch was running late today; something to do with Max, but I was just not pleased! We had been there an hour and were getting antsy.

Honestly, the star of the show running late?? Bad form, Universal :sad2:

Thankfully before TOO long, the Grinch had arrived, and we enjoyed a brief, albeit entertaining conversation with him. He liked my bow, said I must have been hanging out with Cindy Lou Who!
132684048 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 132684052 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

And just like that our Breakfast with the Grinch was over. We grabbed our things from table #1 and were off to see where the day would take us next!

Super cute pics :love:

What an annoying situation with the USO employee!!

The breakfast sounds so fun though! Very festive!

I hope the rain didn't mess up your plans too much!

You can really see the joy all over Jimmy's face. I think he enjoyed the breakfast. Good start to the day.
It really was such a fun experience! I was so glad we were able to book it because I do believe it sells out. Definitely a perfect way to start our only Universal day!

Two of the "Who's" were there too and I gotta say, their noses bothered me
SO funny you mentioned that because I was thinking the SAME thing the whole time!!!!! Clearly some type of prosthetic/stage make-up situation going on, but it was super distracting!! I found myself obsessively staring at them when they'd come by because I was trying to figure out how it was attached and how they were breathing! LOL

Also liked hearing about the food; you don't read many reviews of this breakfast.
I wish I had been thinking to take pictures of everything, especially the cute little names for each dish. There wasn't a ton of variety, but we ate enough to fill our bellies til lunch for sure!

Hi Jackie! What an awesomely fun breakfast. This is something I’d definitely like to do ❤

I meant to tell you that I can’t helieve how big Jimmy is getting. He’s adorable ❤
Hi, Jenny! :wave2: It was SUPER fun!! I definitely recommend it. In fact, I think USO could totally do a Dr. Seuss breakfast with all the other awesome characters they already have as a year-round option. I would definitely do it again outside the Christmas season!

And thank you! This school year he has grown about 4 or 5 inches and just becoming more of a "big boy" every day it seems. I love this guy he's becoming, and he is so fun to spend time with, but there are tugs on my heartstrings very often for the chubby cheeked face I miss so much!

Super cute pics :love:
Thanks, Kelly! It was so much fun!

What an annoying situation with the USO employee!!

The breakfast sounds so fun though! Very festive!

I hope the rain didn't mess up your plans too much!
SO annoying!! I was so grateful that I was able to get the answer I needed by just texting my TA. Should've done that in the first place!! But, I really feel bad for anyone who booked it on their own and may have needed any help. Seems like you're mostly on your own!

Let me start off by saying, I am no expert at anything Universal! We spent two park days there a couple summers ago, so had a rough idea of the rides we wanted to accomplish and things we were OK skipping, but we definitely did a lot of back-tracking and criss-crossing areas of the park. So, if things seem a little wonky or badly out of normal touring plan order...it's because I don't know how to make a plan for USO the way I do for WDW!! BUT, it's also because the rain was on and off most of the day and there were outdoor 'coasters calling my name!

So, let's get moving.

After breakfast, we headed out and walked toward Hogsmeade in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter area of the park. We passed a fun photo op for Jurassic Park on the way, and walked along some gigantic fencing blocking our view of the new Jurassic area construction.

20191222_091600 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We came across the bridge and there was Hogwarts Castle to our left. I have to be honest, this is one of those things that gives me goosebumps and a tear in my eye, just the way Main Street, U.S.A. and Cinderella Castle get me every time! Plus, just look at my cute little wizard!

20191222_091830 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

My Dad and I would be the only ones riding Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but the queue is so incredible, I didn't want my Mom to miss it (Rob and Jimmy had seen it on our last trip), so we all ventured through together. Somehow I only took these 2 pictures!

20191222_092220 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_092237 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

God knows what I was looking at, but you can see I was trying to smile for the camera! LOL Oops, I missed! My Dad really enjoyed the ride, especially the Whomping Willow!

132662934 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

When we came out of the castle, the rain had stopped, and we figured we better start moving toward the Incredible Hulk coaster while there was a break in the weather! On our way through Superhero Island, we ran into Dr. Doom and the Green Goblin out and about. There were no lines for either, just one person ahead of us in both places. That is a welcome difference between USO and WDW--character lines are pretty non-existent!

20191222_103158 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_103216 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_103529 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

The Incredible Hulk is an amazing coaster, and I was SO excited to have company riding it this time! On our last trip, Rob & Jimmy waited for me, so I had no one to enjoy it with. Since we had my Mom, Rob and Jimmy along, we didn't have to use Universal's locker system at all during this day, so I can't really speak to how that works, but we did have to walk through a couple of security checkpoints in our Express pass line to make sure we didn't have any loose items before the ride. This was also our first time having our picture taken and associated with our Express passes. Smart way to make sure no one is sharing one pass, etc!

While we were in line it had started misting again, nothing too heavy, and I was just hopeful we'd get on the ride. The two guys who would share our row were ticked off when they were asked to remove their ponchos before riding. They had to ball them up and sit on them, so there was a lot of moping at the end of our row before we took off. You can tell from my Dad's face he was squinting to avoid the rain, but I hardly noticed!

132663752 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Before leaving Superhero Island, we convinced Jimmy to go on The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman. He was SUPER nervous, but did feel brave enough to give it a try, and was so glad he did! It ended up being a favorite of his from this trip, and he convinced Grandpa to take him on it again later in the day. My Mom has eye trouble and can't see 3D, and Rob gets Vertigo, so had to ride with his eyes closed most of the time, but I am so glad we all did this one together! This picture makes me smile :) Not sure who the hitchhiker in the back was! I didn't even realize we had anyone else in the car with us until I saw this picture later!

132663198 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

And with that, we headed back toward Seussville where we bumped into some more favorite friends!

Plus, just look at my cute little wizard!

Adorable! I love his outfit!

God knows what I was looking at, but you can see I was trying to smile for the camera! LOL Oops, I missed! My Dad really enjoyed the ride, especially the Whomping Willow!

Ha!!! My mom and I loved this in 2015, but when I went in December it kind of made me a little nauseous. I think it was because I was on the end seat, where your dad is sitting…there seems to be a LOT more movement over there! :crazy2:

You can tell from my Dad's face he was squinting to avoid the rain, but I hardly noticed!

132663752 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

How fun! I've still never went on but I think if I ever go back with my kids, I'd probably try it.

but I am so glad we all did this one together! This picture makes me smile :) Not sure who the hitchhiker in the back was! I didn't even realize we had anyone else in the car with us until I saw this picture later!

:rotfl2:

It's a great picture anyway! maybe you can put a sticker over that guy :rotfl:

I'm here and got my beer Miller Lite!!! :drinking1 Casey has been asking about doing Universal and Jason wants to do a cruise so you're a great primer for me! Can't wait to hear more.

I am here!!!! And I can't wait to hear all about the trip. I have been toying with the idea of a cruise at some point.

A few years ago, my Dad mentioned to my Mom that the only way he'd ever do Disney again was if we could do a Disney Cruise. She was hyper nervous about the thought of cruising, but seemed open to the possibility SOMEDAY. We started talking about the idea of mak
This is how I feel about cruising. I want to do it but also super nervous about the idea.

The last almost month has been heartbreakingly hard on our family, especially my brother and his wife, but also the rest of our family who became immediately attached and in love with Liam. I've found it hard to find things to smile about and just felt down in the dumps, but am really working hard at trying to turn things around mentally. I thought the best thing I could do for myself right now is give in to some DIS time and finally get going on this TR!!
This is so heart breaking. How is your Shingles? But the dis-boards are a great way to take your mind of things, for sure.

We got up dark and early to head to my parents' house where our limo would be picking us up for the drive to the airport. Since we wouldn't be home for Christmas Eve, Jimmy's number one concerns were sprinkling reindeer food outside and making sure Santa's treats and beverage were stocked and ready for his arrival!
I was going to ask how Jimmy did with Christmas not being at home for Santa?

Before long, we had boarded our plane and were ready to fly! Jimmy, who never travels alone, had a bag full of "guys" to keep his company. Buddy and Baby (the bald Cabbage Patch kid) were the lucky ones who actually got to get out of the bag during the flight, so they could take in the sights in the clouds together. Yes, he's 10. Yes, he's a boy. Yes, he has an American girl doll. (Actually he has 2 more at home!) He's going to be the best Dad in the world. :lovestruc
20191221_103
I love that he has his dolls! Let kids be kids!!!!

I was finally able to have my first Ugly Sweater Miller Lite, which I'd been unable to track down thus far this holiday season! We bumped into a special North Pole visitor relaxing before the big delivery night coming up later that week!

Perfect way to start a holiday vacation!!!!

Santa even came by and kicked his feet up with us.

137324 by Jackie Lag
This is awsome! Love it.

We headed back to the room to relax and get things ready for our early morning and ONE park day! We planned to see and do it all...well, most of it! :)

Jimmy is so tall!

u a time." I tried to help her comprehend that I knew we had reservations, simply needed to confirm the time, so we would arrive when we were supposed to. She told me, "We don't do that here." I was confused, but more P.O.ed honestly. I stormed off as I loudly said over my shoulder, "Yea, and THAT is why I spend MY money at Disney World!"
Oye. I just don't know how you could be gthat unhelpful!

Just an annoying moment before I happily settled into my Miller Lite sweater beer with Santa by my side, and my amazing friend just a text away, Ariane, who calmed me down and confirmed our reservation was indeed for 8 a.m. :) Thanks, @ariane37 once again!
Thankfully you had a super helpful TA!

49395536196_0918f23d30.jpg
I am not going to lie... they are kind of scary looking!

Thankfully before TOO long, the Grinch had arrived, and we enjoyed a brief, albeit entertaining conversation with him. He liked my bow, said I must have been hanging out with Cindy Lou Who!
Perfect! I would def want to meet him. The Grinch is one of my favorite Christmas movies!

Plus, just look at my cute little wizard!

20191222_091830 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr
Great photo!!!!!

That is a welcome difference between USO and WDW--character lines are pretty non-existent!
So true! I can't remember ever seeing a real "line" for characters here.
The Incredible Hulk is an amazing coaster
Love it! Only Ricky will ride with me and last time we were there it was down so we couldn't ride.
Since we had my Mom, Rob and Jimmy along, we didn't have to use Universal's locker system at all
I have to admit I hate the locker system. I find it super annoying to have to stop and put my stuff in there and then retrieve it lol, waste of time and I'm impatient! What I don't get is why we can have bags on Rock n Roller Coaster, TOT, Splash etc and not any rides at Uni?? So weird.

Despite the rain your day at Uni looks like it started off well! I did FJ once and it made me so nauseous I haven't done that again but I agree the queue is amazing!

I'm here and got my beer Miller Lite!!! :drinking1 Casey has been asking about doing Universal and Jason wants to do a cruise so you're a great primer for me! Can't wait to hear more.
Yay!!! Hi, Kari! :wave2: 🍻 So glad you're here! Universal is so different from Disney, but we really did enjoy our quick visit on this trip, and our previous days spent there in 2018. Our last cruise was in 2006, so we felt like newbie cruisers a bit this time, too!

I am here!!!! And I can't wait to hear all about the trip. I have been toying with the idea of a cruise at some point.
Hi, Ariella!! Thanks for joining in! :welcome: Cruises are pretty expensive, but SO amazingly worth every penny!

This is so heart breaking. How is your Shingles?
Yea, a terrible start to 2020 for us, that's for sure. My shingles are thankfully all healed up, and I have had very little residual nerve pain afterward, which has been a relief! My doctor said the nerve pain could last up to a year, so I was really nervous about that.

I was going to ask how Jimmy did with Christmas not being at home for Santa?
We have been at Disney World for Christmas twice before this trip, and have kept the Santa thing pretty consistent. We always send him a letter to let him know we'll be on vacation, but promise to leave cookies for him. Then, Santa still comes to our house, but always leaves some small gifts and note for Jimmy in Florida, too. He was still a believer this year, but I'm always afraid it will be the last! We try to keep the magic going for him :)

Jimmy is so tall!
He is so skinny and keeps shooting up! All his pants are too short, he looks like he's in capri pants half the time LOL

On our way back through Seussville, I was very excited to see Sam I Am and the Lorax were meeting together! They were under a little archway due to the on and off rain, and there was actually a short line of people ahead of us. It was such a fun meet, especially when the Lorax was VERY enthusiastic about my Dad's mustache!

20191222_113458(0) by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

I'm not 100% sure if memory serves me correctly, but I think we were heading over toward the Wizarding World again to take the Hogwarts Express over to Universal Studios. Again, with the rain, we wanted to be sure we got on Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket before it stormed us out of being able to get on.

While planning for this trip, I had stumbled onto a thread or article somewhere that mentioned a certain favorite character from my childhood was going to be meeting at Universal, but I had forgotten all about it by the time we actually went on the trip. Well, I caught sight of her up ahead as we were walking along, and I literally skipped and "WOO HOO"ed all the way over to wait my turn behind the little girls she was meeting. I was overjoyed and feeling about 5 years old! My little girl self was in awe to meet SHE-RA, Princess of Power!!

137341 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We talked all about her Crystal Castle, and her friend Castaspella. She said Jimmy and I would be welcome to join them any time. I love that She-ra is making a comeback. The little girls who had just met her were giddy about being superheroes, and we just love a good female role model, don't we?!

137344 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Childhood dreams fulfilled, we continued on our way back to Hogsmeade. We were nearly there when we ran into another exciting character who we had missed on our previous trip. Jimmy requested this pose--"Puss, let's do Kitty Paws!"

20191222_114535 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

Before heading to the Hogwarts Express, Jimmy and Grandpa got their Butterbeer on, and were in Heaven! It's too sweet for me, but the two of them loved it and fought over the last sip.

20191222_114956 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_115351 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

We finally made it to the Hogwarts Express and settled in for our "wild" ride over to Diagon Alley!

20191222_120706 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr 20191222_120836 by Jackie Lagoni, on Flickr

You guys were getting a ton done at Universal this morning!

We did the Grinch breakfast back in 2015 and it was adorable.

Love the She-ra pictures!

Jimmy requested this pose--"Puss, let's do Kitty Paws!"
Adorable! Some of the characters there are really neat; I met Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe before!
Butterbeer on, and were in Heaven! It's too sweet for me, but the two of them loved it and fought over the last sip.
Too sweet for me also but the kids like it :-)
So far the rain doesn't look to bad..............

Yea, a terrible start to 2020 for us, that's for sure. My shingles are thankfully all healed up, and I have had very little residual nerve pain afterward, which has been a relief! My doctor said the nerve pain could last up to a year, so I was really nervous about that.
Glad to hear that!

e Lorax was VERY enthusiastic about my Dad's mustache!

I love that they were mustasche buddies!

The little girls who had just met her were giddy about being superheroes, and we just love a good female role model, don't we?!

Awsome! Is She-ra making a come back?

Sounds like a fun morning of rides! Glad you could get on Hulk!
Lots of fun for sure! Me, too!! I really would have liked to go on it a few more times to make our Express passes worth it, but sadly we just didn't have time to do it again. I would have been SO sad to miss it though, so one ride was better than zero!

You guys were getting a ton done at Universal this morning!

We did the Grinch breakfast back in 2015 and it was adorable.

Love the She-ra pictures!
I kept them moving along for sure!! We actually ended up doing close to 20,000 steps that whole day LOL

Adorable! Some of the characters there are really neat; I met Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe before!
So far the rain doesn't look to bad..............
Oh, Marilyn Monroe is coming up LOL

We got really lucky with the rain honestly. The times when it really came down, we were luckily eating or indoors.

Awsome! Is She-ra making a come back?
Apparently there is a reboot of her cartoon on Netflix now. She doesn't look the same though! Really late at night there is a tv channel on regular TV in Chicago (not cable) that shows Masters of the Universe with He-man. I'm always watching for She-ra!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!