"Over Processed" HDR's?

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
In the various Photo threads here I'm seeing a lot of HDR photo's that (to my eyes) appear to be way over processed. Colors that are so far beyond simply 'dramatic' they are surreal. Am I the only one that thinks this is overdone?

I can't even do a partially processed one, so I'm really no one to talk. But I'm gonna talk anyway :lmao: I've seen some that are so processed that they no longer look "real" they look completely computer generated. IF I could do that, I would want to enhance my original picture, not change it altogether.

I believe it is in the eyes of he beholder. While I personally don't do HDR, I can appreciate the "art form" and effort to create that style of an image. I photograph things to create memories. Something that looks computer generated does not do that for me. Saying that, as a piece of art, I would put one on my wall as a conversation piece.

I think some are overdone for my taste. But it's all subjective.

I have been seeing some of Jeff's (Gdad) come through on Facebook and while they are obviously not a regular capture, they look amazing! Anyone interested in HDR should take a lesson from him.

To me... HDRS are like any other artificial enhancement(think implants).

Some look real and nice.
Some look real and not so nice.

Some look fake and horrible.
Some look fake and SPECTACULAR.

Seriously.
Realistic is not always the goal. Black and white while retro/classic does not exactly look realistic, but it can yield breathtaking results.

Some good comments here, which essentially boil down to the eye of the beholder. :3dglasses

I certainly recognize that there is a fine line between what is art and what looks good to my own eyes. Some of these pictures certainly are spectacular and artistic, no getting away from it. I didn't mean to imply they have no place. I also happen to like many of the B&W pictures where there is an interesting byplay of shadow & light.

Hope I didn't offend any of the authors (composers?) of the HDR pictures on those threads. That was not my intention.

I dislike the look of HDR photos but that's just me. I am more of a realist but that's just my style.

As others have said, it's all just a matter of personal taste.

Much of what gets posted here is Disney photography. And given that Disney is place of fantasy, much of which is based in animation, I think it lends itself well to the more artistic forms of HDR.

Much of what gets posted here is Disney photography. And given that Disney is place of fantasy, much of which is based in animation, I think it lends itself well to the more artistic forms of HDR.
Exactly how I see it, as well. Much of my non-Disney stuff is more "naturalistic," but I love it all. I shoot to please myself. If anyone else likes it, that's a bonus. If I don't like my work, I'll never be convinced by anyone who does.

Scott

As others have said, it's all just a matter of personal taste.

That's a great point.

Different strokes, for different folks.

I have seen some HDR shots that looked absolutely fantastic. However, I have seen a number of HDR shots that appear to be significantly over processed.

HDR has become so flavor of the month, I find myself bypassing these shots and looking for more natural shots.

That being said, I do not begrudge anyone who utilizes HDR.

Remember that it's entirely possible you've seen quite a few more HDR photos than you realize, because sometimes it's used in a more restrained or realistic manner. HDR doesn't automatically equal the full-blown art look...that happens to be a very popular style right now, and may remain so for some who like it, or it may fade a bit. But HDR as a technique in some form or another is likely to be used for a long time to come as just another tool to achieving a greater capture of dynamic range in a shot.

I sometimes like some of the over-the-top HDR photos posted, but for my own taste I don't really prefer them for my own photos - I've tried a few, and it was fun for a bit, but I tired of it. If I see too many posted in a row, it gets a bit old for me. But everyone's different and has their own likes and dislikes. Could be just as many other folks get tired or bored seeing the 'realistic' shots. Live and let live.

I for one like HDR and Disney provides a great subject material to work with in HDR. I have created some that are way over the top to some that are quite subtle with most falling somewhere in the middle.

I've also learned from my mistakes, early on I was just using the presets to generate HDRs which resulted in that grungly look. Now, I am learing to use the software freeing me from the built in presets allowing me to get a more pleasing final image.

As with all art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Remember that it's entirely possible you've seen quite a few more HDR photos than you realize, because sometimes it's used in a more restrained or realistic manner. HDR doesn't automatically equal the full-blown art look...that happens to be a very popular style right now, and may remain so for some who like it, or it may fade a bit. But HDR as a technique in some form or another is likely to be used for a long time to come as just another tool to achieving a greater capture of dynamic range in a shot.

Exactly, and this has been going on for quite some time. Many of Ansel Adams photographs used techniques similar to HDR to extend (or sometimes compress) the dynamic range of a scene to fit the printing paper, much as we use it to fit the range of a monitor. Exposure, developing, and definitely printing techniques were used by Adams and many other great photographers to alter the dynamic range of a photograph, yet many people still marvel at the 'realism' of Adams photographs.

Adams himself scoffed at the idea and considered his photographs far from realistic, just like today's HDRs. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter