Overbearing Security

Do you think they were right to ban us merely for smelling like marijuana?

• no

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • yes

Votes: 38 84.4%

• Total voters

greenleaf

Earning My Ears
Today my partner and I went to the park to spend a great day together. I love disneyland and haven't been in a long time. As we were walking in we passed a security guard "Michael" who had a K-9 unit. As we passed him we heard him say "Let's Go" commanding the dog to follow us with him. We got in the security line, and as we were waiting a man named "Alex" pulled us out of line to ask us questions. He said we smelled like marijuana. We said we had smoked at home the night before, but not today. He then asked the question two more times, insinuating that we were trying to bring it into the park. I have the UTMOST respect for Disneyland. I would never disrespect a cast member or break any rules. We were made to wait for a manager. She came out and told us we needed to give her our ID's. I told her we had done nothing wrong and we answered all of the questions we were asked. They didn't even search us. I told her I would not give her my ID and she said we were banned from the park for 24 hours. This is supposed to be Disneyland. The security are supposed to be there to protect us, not accost us. I took a picture of Alex and Michael as they made us wait for a very long time for the manager. In the picture you can see Michael continuing to cover his name badge as I snapped photos. I shouldn't be treated like a prisoner at Disneyland. This really ruined the experience and makes me hesitant about returning.

IMG_0023.jpg

What kind of noses do these guys have that they were able to smell marijuana on you from the night before? I am assuming you changed clothes, etc. Did the dog alert them first or was it the guards? This is a really tough situation since I know they are trying to keep a certain environment for their guests.

Last edited:

Let's just be logical about this. I don't know if you are California residents or not but it is legal here. Just like alcohol. If I choose to smoke in my own home I am not doing anything illegal. The dog did not alert. It was the guard. I don't think my name should go down in some book because I smell like weed. Regardless of your personal views on marijuana, it is viewed the same as alcohol now. Disneyland sells alcohol in the park so the "Family Environment" excuse doesn't hold as much merit as it used to. Alcohol is far worse than marijuana in many respects. No one has got so high they were arrested and charge with child abandonment for leaving their kids in the park. This has happened numerous times and Disney is technically condoning it by serving alcohol. The bottom line - I had nothing on me. I think they pressed too hard.

Let's just be logical about this. I don't know if you are California residents or not but it is legal here. Just like alcohol. If I choose to smoke in my own home I am not doing anything illegal. The dog did not alert. It was the guard. I don't think my name should go down in some book because I smell like weed. Regardless of your personal views on marijuana, it is viewed the same as alcohol now. Disneyland sells alcohol in the park so the "Family Environment" excuse doesn't hold as much merit as it used to. Alcohol is far worse than marijuana in many respects. No one has got so high they were arrested and charge with child abandonment for leaving their kids in the park. This has happened numerous times and Disney is technically condoning it by serving alcohol. The bottom line - I had nothing on me. I think they pressed too hard.
Their house their rules, I do have issues with some of the rules but at the end of the day our desire to go wins and so we put up with it.

Legal or not, it would be no different if you came in reeking of alcohol and were then belligerent when pulled aside. They are looking after your safely and the safety of others. They have no way of testing if you are impaired and may become injured or injure others while on their property.

Why didn't you want to show your ID?

And how will they enforce a 24 hour ban without knowing who you are? Just go to a different entrance...

I think the posters are being logical. You and your partner smelled like weed, enough so that security questioned you about it. I agree with others that when going to the Disney parks you might want to ensure that you don't smell like marijuana so you can enjoy your experience without being stopped.

Wow I am surprised that they used that as grounds to give you a 24 hour ban. Weed is 100% legal in CA and if you weren't carrying it on you then you weren't breaking any of their rules.

That said, they are a private business and can do what they want. Maybe the refusal of ID was a factor as a PP mentioned. Sorry that happened to you.

Their house their rules, I do have issues with some of the rules but at the end of the day our desire to go wins and so we put up with it.

You are right actually. I think you are my favorite response. Thank you for being more understanding and not so judgemental. I figured I would rant here instead of contacting disney. I know they wouldn't care.

Disneyland is private property. Their property, their rules. Like you said, alcohol is legal just like marijuana is in the state of California.

BUT...
For example, Disney chooses not to serve alcohol in Disneyland. Only DCA. Just because alcohol is legal in the state of CA doesn't mean that they're required to serve it. Nor does it mean that they are forced to allow people into the parks who have alcohol on their person. Nor does it mean that they are required to admit people into the parks if they suspect that those individuals are under the influence.

Maybe the dog tipped the security guard off. Maybe it was the security guard who smelled it on you. Maybe they didn't believe you when you said that you didn't have any on you. Maybe they thought you smelled so strongly of it that you must have been under the influence of it at the time. I don't know. I do know that a lot of DL security guards are retired law enforcement officers with many years of experience.

Like any business, Disney has the right to refuse service to anyone at any time.

They banned you for 24 hours by either scanning your park ticket (and noting it in their computer system) or they took note of you based on security camera photos taken of you and your partner...thus banning you if you attempted to gain admittance to the park within that 24 hour period of time.

Next time, take additional precautionary measures in order to avoid smelling like marijuana when you go to DL.

So when they or the dog smelled the weed, they pulled you aside. That part seems perfectly reasonable because they don't know if you're trying to bring it into the parks (which I'm assuming from some of these posts is against the rules). At that point, when you denied carrying any, I would have expected them to search your bags, jackets, etc. If that all went over smoothly and it was really just a smell, I think you should have been allowed through. The fact that a manager was brought out and you refused to show ID's makes me think it escalated beyond a smell concern. Whether they were the ones who escalated it, going overboard over a stupid smell, or whether they had other suspicions or you were being difficult, I don't know. However, I would suspect it was the lack of cooperation when they asked for your ID that actually got you the ban, rather than the smell. Of course I wasn't there, so who knows. If you really were banned for nothing more than a smell that is definitely overboard.

So when they or the dog smelled the weed, they pulled you aside. That part seems perfectly reasonable because they don't know if you're trying to bring it into the parks (which I'm assuming from some of these posts is against the rules). At that point, when you denied carrying any, I would have expected them to search your bags, jackets, etc. If that all went over smoothly and it was really just a smell, I think you should have been allowed through. The fact that a manager was brought out and you refused to show ID's makes me think it escalated beyond a smell concern. Whether they were the ones who escalated it, going overboard over a stupid smell, or whether they had other suspicions or you were being difficult, I don't know. However, I would suspect it was the lack of cooperation when they asked for your ID that actually got you the ban, rather than the smell. Of course I wasn't there, so who knows. If you really were banned for nothing more than a smell that is definitely overboard.

I actually requested a manager because they were harassing my husband asking the same questions over and over. I told him he needs to stop harrasing us and get his manager because we have done nothing wrong. I made the request as Mike started saying "where do you normally keep it" basically hoping I would admit to carrying it when I'm not that dumb to bring it into the park.

Today my partner and I went to the park to spend a great day together. I love disneyland and haven't been in a long time. As we were walking in we passed a security guard "Michael" who had a K-9 unit. As we passed him we heard him say "Let's Go" commanding the dog to follow us with him. We got in the security line, and as we were waiting a man named "Alex" pulled us out of line to ask us questions. He said we smelled like marijuana. We said we had smoked at home the night before, but not today. He then asked the question two more times, insinuating that we were trying to bring it into the park. I have the UTMOST respect for Disneyland. I would never disrespect a cast member or break any rules. We were made to wait for a manager. She came out and told us we needed to give her our ID's. I told her we had done nothing wrong and we answered all of the questions we were asked. They didn't even search us. I told her I would not give her my ID and she said we were banned from the park for 24 hours. This is supposed to be Disneyland. The security are supposed to be there to protect us, not accost us. I took a picture of Alex and Michael as they made us wait for a very long time for the manager. In the picture you can see Michael continuing to cover his name badge as I snapped photos. I shouldn't be treated like a prisoner at Disneyland. This really ruined the experience and makes me hesitant about returning.

IMG_0023.jpg
You forgot to add the dog's name....

Take this as a tip for your next visit.

When you go I hope you are able to enjoy the parks.

Legal or not, it would be no different if you came in reeking of alcohol and were then belligerent when pulled aside. They are looking after your safely and the safety of others. They have no way of testing if you are impaired and may become injured or injure others while on their property.

I was just about to say this. If someone smells of alcohol, there's no way they're letting that person into the parks. It would create a potentially unsafe/unsanitary environment. Alcohol is a mind-altering substance, just like weed. They want people in their right minds when they go through the gates. Just take it as experience and be prepared next time. And maybe folks who choose to smoke weed that are reading this will do the same.

Wow I am surprised that they used that as grounds to give you a 24 hour ban. Weed is 100% legal in CA and if you weren't carrying it on you then you weren't breaking any of their rules.

That said, they are a private business and can do what they want. Maybe the refusal of ID was a factor as a PP mentioned. Sorry that happened to you.
It is a problem federally. It could be that they don't want to deal with that. So anyone that might have it on them, isn't allowed into the parks.

And, OP, if you smoked yesterday, but still smelled like it, I would question you as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!