Overtime question

Fewski

Earning My Ears
I'm not in the Disney College program, but this looks like the fastest way to get my question answered without calling Disney.

I just got hired and did Traditions yesterday, first day of training is Sunday. I'm a seasonal deep water guard, during my initial interview I was told I would be scheduled between 40-48 hours per week. Thought it was weird they would even schedule me for overtime voluntarily? But anyways, I know I can pick up shifts in the Hub, though don't have my login for that yet.

How easy is it to get overtime at Disney? The resort I'm working at lifeguarding appears to be open to midnight, so I'm sure picking up hours would be fairly easy. Do the managers really care if you're getting over time pay or do they try to deter from letting cast members pick up overtime? I'm hoping to get around 58-60 hours a week in.

Thanks

I can only speak as a former CP and seasonal in a different role than you. For us (especially as CPs) we could work to our heart's content as long as we didn't hit double-back time without permission (I had some double time during NYE, pre-approved by my managers).

I've only worked once as seasonal but my managers said that because I'm not local and not in danger of being over utilized, I can pick up as many shifts when I'm there, with the no same double back rules.

There are two ways to pick up shifts - OT is treated differently in these cases:

BASIC OT

Over eight hours a day
Over 40 hours a week
6th day (regardless of hours)
7th day (regardless of hours)

If you are SCHEDULED a 7th day (involuntary), you will recieve double pay. If you PICK UP a 7th day (voluntary), you will recieve time and a half.

PICKING UP ANOTHER CM SHIFT

The shift pay must match. If they are getting paid regular time, you cannot pick it up for OT. But if they are scheduled OT, you can pick it up for OT.

NOTE: CPs are NOT eligible for 6th day. So you can never pick up a CPs 6th day, unless it's over their 40 hour mark.

PICKING UP EXTRA SHIFTS

EHH (Extra Hours Hotline) approves time and a half OT automatically, as long as it's not double time. I typically pick up these shifts as it's easier and OT is fine.

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Another question... I'm a seasonal employee as I go to college in Fort Myers, so just doing this as a summer job. If all goes well, would it be possible for me to come back during my breaks (Thanksgiving, winter, spring break, ect) and work at Disney during those times... or would I have to go through the whole process again? Since I'm seasonal, I'm guessing I'll have to go through the process again, but is there a list or form I can sign that will allow me to come back over breaks if they are in need of extra help?

Thanks again

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Another question... I'm a seasonal employee as I go to college in Fort Myers, so just doing this as a summer job. If all goes well, would it be possible for me to come back during my breaks (Thanksgiving, winter, spring break, ect) and work at Disney during those times... or would I have to go through the whole process again? Since I'm seasonal, I'm guessing I'll have to go through the process again, but is there a list or form I can sign that will allow me to come back over breaks if they are in need of extra help?

Thanks again

Fewski,
It would definitely be possible for you to work shifts as a seasonal cast member during your breaks. As a seasonal cast member, you can work anytime during the year.

You would have to log into the Hub and give your work availability for the time frame in which you want to work. It isn't guaranteed that you will be scheduled, but you might be, depending on need. :)

At one time, Deep Water guards were very sought after and in demand. Since it's summer, you will probably be able to work as much as you want. As someone else mentioned, the HUB will display open shifts for you, but be sure to let your manager know that you are receptive to working overtime.

At the end of the summer, if you have done a good job, your manager will most likely be very happy to keep you on the books as a CT, so you can return on weekends and holidays if you'd like. Be sure you get the name and phone number of the manager/scheduler for you area before you go back to school, so you can call them in advance before you return.

You can also just pick up shifts on the Extra Hours Hotline when you're in town, instead of submitting availability everyday. That way you can do things in between days if you want! I live in the area, but because of school I like the freedom to pick up whenever I want, so I have no availability listed and I just sign up for a good shift when I see one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter