Packing list - Bring vs buy

tinaka613

Earning My Ears
I'm in my final planning stages for our February trip to Aulani. It'll be DS10 and myself for 6 nights!!! I'm trying to not overpack, but I know there's always those little things that you wish someone had told you would be needed.

So, I'm looking for tips on what did everyone wish they had packed and what items did you easily pick up on the island (I will have a car). For instance, I've heard many people pick up snorkel sets at Target or Costco. And what about towels to take to the beaches outside the resort?

I appreciate any and all tips!!

Don’t worry about pool / beach towels - you get them daily when you show your room card to the attendant. Then you can request fresh ones as many times as you like, it’s only the first visit of the day (which is when you also receive your wrist band).

We never pack sunscreen - always the pick that up at Target or Costco. We’ve never bought snorkelling gear even in our kids‘ 11 visits - we simply use goggles.

Will you be in a villa with a full kitchen? If so, and you plan on doing any cooking, I would bring spices, ziplocs, plastic containers for food storage, coffee filters, a good knife. Also, we bring our own reusable shopping bags--if you don't bring, you'll have to buy if you plan on getting groceries. We bring insulated cocktail tumblers for making drinks in the room and taking to the pool/beach. We also bring a soft-sided cooler.

What I buy there

100% Kona Coffee
Sunscreen
POG juice (Passion/Orange/Guava) and lots of it!

What I bring

Our water shoes (mostly for Shark's Cove and other rough ocean entry sections)
Our own snorkels and masks (we have pretty good quality sets and I find them easy to pack)
A sharp knife and cutting board for fresh pineapple, papaya etc in the room
Ziploc bags
Tin foil
Plastic wrap
Coffee filters

We bring- laundry detergent pods, fabric softener sheets, zip loc bags, bag clips for chips, and an extra suitcase for all our vacation purchases

We bought sunscreen at Target during our grocery stop. We go through a lot of it so to bring multiple full size bottles of it would take up too much space. I agree about leaving beach towels at home and using the ones provided by the resort. We also found snorkeling gear at Target, so I would buy it there if needed.

We did bring our own Tide pods and Bounce sheets but you can typically find small packs of laundry stuff in the travel section at Target. We happen to use Tide pods at home, but I wouldn't want to buy a package of them just for the trip.

Also, we bring our own reusable shopping bags--if you don't bring, you'll have to buy if you plan on getting groceries.

This is good advice!

Stores charge at least $0.15 for a bag with some (Target) charging $0.99-$1.99. And I can't tell you how many times I've been to Target when they've had no bags at all. But that tends to only happen on the days I forget my reusable bag lol.

This is good advice!

Stores charge at least $0.15 for a bag with some (Target) charging $0.99-$1.99. And I can't tell you how many times I've been to Target when they've had no bags at all. But that tends to only happen on the days I forget my reusable bag lol.

Quick question for you @Corgi monster - do the Target Hawaii stores still have Hawaii specific reusable bags for sale?
One of my favorite things is my Target Hawaii red reusable bag with flowers on it but it is starting to wear thin.
I wish I had bought more of them!

@alohamom It’s hit or miss and they seem to constantly be rotating through styles. Last week, all they had were the $1.99 bags that have “Mahalo” in a vertical red-> white ombré pattern.

I will keep an eye out for the floral one and let you know if they bring it back.

I was there in November and the local Target still had Hawaii specific Target bags. It’s a cheap souvenir and practical.

Our water shoes
Our own snorkels and masks
A sharp knife
Ziploc bags
sunscreen
soft sided cooler
reusable shopping bags (yes I love my Target floral one)

I pretty much brought the same things mentioned above but we brought our own full-face snorkel masks and never regretted it for a second. I also brought my own coconut rum (Blue Chair if anybody cares) because I just couldn’t pay Aulani or cruise line drink prices more than a couple of times!

Hi Everyone - I've been watching this thread for quite some time, as our trip is coming up in a month or so (!). For those of you who own & bring - where did you get your water shoes and snorkel sets?

The market across the street from Aulani has the reusable shopping bags that are Hawaiian themed. We liked to go to the Swap meet and get some bags and other souvenirs there. My advice is to bring 1/2 of what you think that you need. I think most people say that they packed way too many clothes. You want room to bring stuff back with you. We are planning our second trip there and other then the basic stuff, we are just going to get what we need there. So bring your water shoes, snorkel if you want to do that, clothes, toiletries, and tide pods and the rest you can get locally since you have a car. We explored the island a lot so we ate at local places and did not cook. We are also not big drinkers.

Hi Everyone - I've been watching this thread for quite some time, as our trip is coming up in a month or so (!). For those of you who own & bring - where did you get your water shoes and snorkel sets?
water shoes from Walmart and snorkel sets from Costco.

You guys are all awesome! Thanks so much for the help! We are in a studio, so no full kitchen, but I plan on eating breakfast in the room most days.
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions and I know where to come!

These cost around $20 each at the gift shop, I think. We ended up buying them at Target (forgot the price), but it was definitely more expensive than what we saw on Amazon.

Waterproof phone pouch
https://www.amazon.com/ProCase-Universal-Waterproof-Cellphone-Underwater/dp/B07PSL27VY/ref=sr_1_5?
Thanks for this link! I actually had one of these before and misplaced it (therefore forgetting they exist). I was debating on buying a waterproof camera, but I may just use my phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter