• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paddle boarding at Aulani or Waikiki?

DVCTigger

DIS Veteran
I just saw a groupon for paddle boarding 50% off in Waikiki. We were planning to try this out during our trip in Sept at Aulani. We will be in Waikiki for a couple nights before Aulani, so we could try it out there with the discount for the board for the whole day. My question is, for those in the know, is the surf too much to paddle board in at the beach in Waikiki? Or would we be better off waiting and doing this in the lagoon at Aulani? :confused3. TIA

During Corey's live broadcast from Aulani, there were paddle boarders going back and forth in the shot of the bay (in the background). The water looks perfect.

I just saw a groupon for paddle boarding 50% off in Waikiki. We were planning to try this out during our trip in Sept at Aulani. We will be in Waikiki for a couple nights before Aulani, so we could try it out there with the discount for the board for the whole day. My question is, for those in the know, is the surf too much to paddle board in at the beach in Waikiki? Or would we be better off waiting and doing this in the lagoon at Aulani? :confused3. TIA
we rented paddle boards at aulaini Using our dvc discount ,it was $27 for one hour. We found it very tranquil , almost too calm, didn't really find it a work out.,but enjoyed it. We did observer paddle boarders at Waikiki ,and the waters looked more active ,making paddle boarding more rigorous.

During Corey's live broadcast from Aulani, there were paddle boarders going back and forth in the shot of the bay (in the background). The water looks perfect.

we rented paddle boards at aulaini Using our dvc discount ,it was $27 for one hour. We found it very tranquil , almost too calm, didn't really find it a work out.,but enjoyed it. We did observer paddle boarders at Waikiki ,and the waters looked more active ,making paddle boarding more rigorous.

Thanks for this information. I would like more of a workout, that why I'm considering trying it in Waikiki. But just wondering if it's going to be too difficult. DH and I are athletic and very active, so thinking we may be able to handle it. But it will be our first time, so don't want to get in over our heads either. Were you able/allowed to take the boards out past the breakers at Aulani?

The paddle boarding at Aulani IS very tame and you aren't allowed to go past the breakers (but I don't think you'd want to either). The biggest issue for me at Aulani is that the lagoon is filled with swimmers most of the day so I'm always worried about hitting one! If you are fairly active/coordinated then Waikiki would be a great place to try SUP. The waves break at leisurely intervals allowing "some" challenge, but even with the numbers of swimmers and surfers there, it is a larger expanse to explore. Our favourite entry point for SUP was just in front of the Outrigger and Royal Hawaiian.

The paddle boarding at Aulani IS very tame and you aren't allowed to go past the breakers (but I don't think you'd want to either). The biggest issue for me at Aulani is that the lagoon is filled with swimmers most of the day so I'm always worried about hitting one! If you are fairly active/coordinated then Waikiki would be a great place to try SUP. The waves break at leisurely intervals allowing "some" challenge, but even with the numbers of swimmers and surfers there, it is a larger expanse to explore. Our favourite entry point for SUP was just in front of the Outrigger and Royal Hawaiian.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will give Waikiki a try!

We did the stand up paddle boarding on Waikiki and loved it..The first day was really easy and calm, but the second day was a little more of a challenge. We rented boards down next to the military resort and the water and area was great..While paddle boarding, we had a friend in the water with us both days (sea turtle) which made for a great time.We didn't try try the board at Aulani.

I don't think you should have any problem at Waikiki, but if you are worried at all they rent paddle boards down by the Hilton Hawaiian Village and you can get your legs in the large manmade lagoon next to the beach and when you are ready go out into the ocean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter