Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
The machines can charge you by the day easily. You can come and go as many times as you like. Many parking lots have this!

No there are systems in place where a ticket can be marked as an in/out ticket. I’ve very stayed at many hotels where I hand them the parking ticket I picked up on the way in. They run it through their machine and I pop it in and out for as long as my stay.

I imagine a system could be made to give the option of scanning magic bands or giving tickets, whichever is required. The technology is there already for hotels, hospitals and various types of car parking scenarios.

needs no humans. get ticket from machine when you pull in, pay when you leave.

I know the logistics of how one can do it but I was responding to a "when you pull in, pay when you leave" comment which implied once you leave that's when you pay--not that it was a come and go as you please but pay for the whole day system. What you are talking about it not the same as what I was quoting and commenting on.

I had heard if you have a handicap parking pass Disney will not charge you for parking.

Is that true ?
Can anyone confirm this ?

I hope it is the later and theybrealized they pushed just a bit too far and the Disney community is pushing back

In more likelihood they couldn’t figure out an economic nominal way to enforce it
Len Testa has heard they are installing cameras in the parking lots to monitor vehicles. That was from a podcast a few weeks ago. No idea if that is actually happening.

I had heard if you have a handicap parking pass Disney will not charge you for parking.

Is that true ?
Can anyone confirm this ?

I'd like to know this also. I remember that it used to be, if you had a HA parking pass, you wouldn't pay for valet parking, but now with this new policy, the "official" line from Disney that I read was just that you'd be directed to HA parking, not that it would be free. Those of us with handicapped placards wonder.

I'd like to know this also. I remember that it used to be, if you had a HA parking pass, you wouldn't pay for valet parking, but now with this new policy, the "official" line from Disney that I read was just that you'd be directed to HA parking, not that it would be free. Those of us with handicapped placards wonder.
I'll find out in September.

I'm DVC, so I won't pay anyway. But I do plan on finding out.

Interesting, I thought that the WDW site stated that guests with handicap parking placards did not have to pay. Wonder if they changed this rule?

1. In another thread it has been stated that WDW has installed license plate reader technology at all resorts and it seems like that's how they are monitoring car comings and goings. Example: car pulls up, uses MB to enter gate, plate reader snaps a pic of plate number and logs that into a system, linking MB (MDE) info to that plate number. Plate reader on exit side never registers that same plate number exiting the same day and logs the plate number (which is now connected to its driver's MDE profile) as an overnight stay, adds fee to portfolio. OR, same scenario, but exit plate reader registers plate number leaving 4 hours after arriving, logs it as day guest, no charge to corresponding MDE.

The potential hitch here, in my mind, is the guest who doesn't use a MB to enter and instead just shows ID at the security booth. I sometimes do that when staying at a resort because my MB isn't handy (but my ID always is) or there's a back-up in the MB-only gate lane. In that case, the plate reader can get my plate number, but has nothing in MDE to connect it to. I'd guess that's a pretty rare happening, though.

2. Confession: I originally booked my summer vacation offsite, because I was bitter about the parking fee, and, moreso, because the added fee made onsite cost more than my comparable offsite options. But last week WDW dropped AP rates significantly at at least CBR and CSR, and now - even with a parking fee added in - I'm coming out cheaper onsite. I feel a little dirty and sullied, but it's always about the bottom line for me, so yeah... I'm booked onsite and paying the stupid parking fee.

1. In another thread it has been stated that WDW has installed license plate reader technology at all resorts and it seems like that's how they are monitoring car comings and goings. Example: car pulls up, uses MB to enter gate, plate reader snaps a pic of plate number and logs that into a system, linking MB (MDE) info to that plate number. Plate reader on exit side never registers that same plate number exiting the same day and logs the plate number (which is now connected to its driver's MDE profile) as an overnight stay, adds fee to portfolio. OR, same scenario, but exit plate reader registers plate number leaving 4 hours after arriving, logs it as day guest, no charge to corresponding MDE.

The potential hitch here, in my mind, is the guest who doesn't use a MB to enter and instead just shows ID at the security booth. I sometimes do that when staying at a resort because my MB isn't handy (but my ID always is) or there's a back-up in the MB-only gate lane. In that case, the plate reader can get my plate number, but has nothing in MDE to connect it to. I'd guess that's a pretty rare happening, though.

2. Confession: I originally booked my summer vacation offsite, because I was bitter about the parking fee, and, moreso, because the added fee made onsite cost more than my comparable offsite options. But last week WDW dropped AP rates significantly at at least CBR and CSR, and now - even with a parking fee added in - I'm coming out cheaper onsite. I feel a little dirty and sullied, but it's always about the bottom line for me, so yeah... I'm booked onsite and paying the stupid parking fee.
Maybe they can issue citations for seat belt violations while they're at it. ;)

Don’t feel bad about your decision, always do what’s best for you! I just hope Disney stops the parking fee for overnight guests and target the violators who park at the hotels.

I was at Yacht & Beach to meet with people this past weekend - it's what I told the security guard - but since I didn't have a specific ADR for a restaurant, he said I could only park for two hours "or so" or I could use valet.

I wasn't staying on-site anywhere and I don't have charging capabilities on my MagicBand (and I didn't even scan a MagicBand - just showed my ID), so I'm not really sure what they would've done to enforce the two hours other than ... towing me or nothing? But I wasn't really interested in dealing with it, so I just did valet parking and used my Tables in Wonderland card to get that comped.

I too started looking off site, but I will now just include the parking fee in my overall hotel budget. So instead of booking the Yacht Club, I may end up at the Coronado or Port Orleans. The other option is to spend less days at WDW, which does not leave a good taste in my mouth.

2. Confession: I originally booked my summer vacation offsite, because I was bitter about the parking fee, and, moreso, because the added fee made onsite cost more than my comparable offsite options. But last week WDW dropped AP rates significantly at at least CBR and CSR, and now - even with a parking fee added in - I'm coming out cheaper onsite. I feel a little dirty and sullied, but it's always about the bottom line for me, so yeah... I'm booked onsite and paying the stupid parking fee.[/QUOTE]
Well you should feel dirty and sullied!!!! lol

But how is that going to work with rental cars or Ubers? They can’t attach random license plates to magic bands.

I wasn't staying on-site anywhere and I don't have charging capabilities on my MagicBand (and I didn't even scan a MagicBand - just showed my ID), so I'm not really sure what they would've done to enforce the two hours other than ... towing me or nothing? But I wasn't really interested in dealing with it, so I just did valet parking and used my Tables in Wonderland card to get that comped.

Did you have to eat there to get the valet parking comped?

But how is that going to work with rental cars or Ubers? They can’t attach random license plates to magic bands.
Sure they can - the plate reader picks up plate number at the same time the MB reader identifies MDE profile: bam, plate number is now associated with an MDE profile, and that profile is attached to a resort stay. If the plate is an Uber car, the exit plate reader registers the car exiting the same day and no parking fee will be charged. If it's a rental, the exit plate reader does not log an exit & the system registers the plate staying overnight and charges a parking fee to the resort portfolio connected to that MDE profile. Makes no difference who owns the car as the plate reader isn't accessing a database, only connecting a plate number to a MB, and that MB is associated with an MDE profile, and that MDE profile is associated with a resort stay portfolio. That's my understanding, anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter