Parents of HS class of 2020

Congrats! That’s fantastic!
My son has pretty much decided to attend Ramapo, so my kids will be at the same school. I’m secretly thrilled. Lol. He was always planning to follow the money, and Ramapo gave him a nice scholarship, so while not a definite, it’s about 95% sure he’s going there.
My Daughter is still undecided after our tour on Friday. I think she's waiting until her bestie also decides :rolleyes: I'm convinced it's the perfect place for her but trying to let her make the decision. Our Disney trip is in 12 days before we go my ex and I will have a conversation with her about what she wants to do. But it's between Ramapo and FDU this process is a lot lol

Reactions: rlk
My DD finally heard from UCF-but I think she has narrowed it down to Arizona (State, thought it was University of Arizona but it is Arizona state), and University of Minnesota-visiting both in March. Both gave merit scholarships.
Trying to plan for Thanksgiving-want to head to Disney/Orlando but if both my girls are in far corners or USA we may not see them until Christmas break.
My daughter has a friend who will be a junior at ASU next year. She's in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, and loves it. We only see her now during Christmas and summer.

My daughter has a friend who will be a junior at ASU next year. She's in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, and loves it. We only see her now during Christmas and summer.
Is she in Tempe campus? How is the area? Good to know she loves her school! I miss Walter Cronkite (and I just dated/aged myself lol)

I haven't been able to read all of the replies - but congrats to all of your children! I am sure I am not alone in this, but I am having a VERY hard time with accepting the fact that my DD just turned 18 years old and will start college somewhere in August. We live 5 minutes away from Old Dominion University (and she was accepted there) .. however, she wants to "live her best life" and go far away to college and she is praying for some scholarship money to do so (awards for her schools of choice out of State arent until April). She is an only child and I have been in an area of grey with my marriage for so long, that I dumped my alll into her - so the very thought of her leaving the nest just seems too soon! I will not smother her and make her stay here at ODU if she is awarded funds to go elsewhere but I am secretly hoping she stays here. She hopes to become a Pediatric Oncologist and Eastern Virginia Medical School partners with ODU and both are in our back yard!

Back from UCF last week and even with the cold day DD loved the campus! Since we waited so long she is waiting for UF results tomorrow, but I think she's leaning towards UCF. We did the dorm tour and she liked the Libra community as she plans to come home at least the first summer. We had already done the deposit and got approved for housing as well. We also drove by the Rosen campus which was so nice as she may end up there for classes as well. Great to hear others from here heading there as well!

I haven't been able to read all of the replies - but congrats to all of your children! I am sure I am not alone in this, but I am having a VERY hard time with accepting the fact that my DD just turned 18 years old and will start college somewhere in August. We live 5 minutes away from Old Dominion University (and she was accepted there) .. however, she wants to "live her best life" and go far away to college and she is praying for some scholarship money to do so (awards for her schools of choice out of State arent until April). She is an only child and I have been in an area of grey with my marriage for so long, that I dumped my alll into her - so the very thought of her leaving the nest just seems too soon! I will not smother her and make her stay here at ODU if she is awarded funds to go elsewhere but I am secretly hoping she stays here. She hopes to become a Pediatric Oncologist and Eastern Virginia Medical School partners with ODU and both are in our back yard!
Believe me, you are NOT alone! DW is going through the same thing, even though our DD is only going to be 3 1/2 hours away!

I hear ya! My oldest is in Seattle this weekend checking out grad school- and she’s already looked at housing etc. seems she will end up there. She LOVES the campus and area as I knew she would. My HS senior is visiting Minnesota soon- and it has the best design school out of all she applied to and I expect she’ll end up there. DH’s oldest is in Florida. We are in Missouri so the kids are all at the furthest points in continental USA they can possibly get from us! Of course the boy is still at home (HS freshman next fall) so we still have a kid at home. I’m trying to get used to the reality that I’ll only be able to see most of the kids on long holiday breaks now...

One of my daughters is 95% sure of where she wants to go. The other wants to take one last visit with her top 2. Unfortunately, we are getting word that some colleges are cancelling on campus tours and going to remote classes for the remainder of the year. I don't know if Decision Day will be postponed or not.

DS had his accepted student day at UVA cancelled. He is on the fence so was really looking forward to the day.

We are scheduled to go up to Chicago to visit my daughter's top two as well at the end of the month. Not sure what will happen now....she is already leaning one way so she may just have to make her decision without another visit.

We're waiting to see if Prom and/or Graduation will be canceled.

And right after graduation, we have a two-day orientation for both parents and DD at UCF. UCF goes to all-online on Monday and are asking all dorm residents who can to go home...so not sure where that leaves us.

DS found out this week he received a full ride scholarship to Washington University - he is very happy. He should hear from one more school on April 1...he's still crossing his fingers on that one.

He's on Spring Break this week. Classes haven't been cancelled for the following week, yet. Like all of you, we're anxious to find out what this means for the rest of the school year. DS will probably be the class valedictorian. He said today he'd be ok if graduation is cancelled as he doesn't want the attention at the ceremony:( He's had several choir concerts cancelled due to snow this winter, choir districts were cancelled this week, math contests and scholar bowls cancelled for later in the month, too. We're unsure about Spring track season. What a strange year it's been.

Stay healthy wherever you may be!

DD was counting on attending the accepted student days to help her make a decision. Sadly, these have all been cancelled because of the virus situation. I understand why they were cancelled but it is still a disappointment for her.

DD was counting on attending the accepted student days to help her make a decision. Sadly, these have all been cancelled because of the virus situation. I understand why they were cancelled but it is still a disappointment for her.
My daughter too she's really really disappointed. Praying these poor kids graduating year and College entrances will never look the same.

Same for my son. He has it narrowed down to 3 schools with pros and cons for each and was counting on another visit to the admitted student days to help him make up his mind. I feel so bad for these seniors because they will miss so many of these senior milestones. The other issue I am worried about is the 529 plan. Ours has decreased significantly and we don't have time to recover the money. I was trying to nudge him toward the most expensive choice because I think it is the best fit for him but now I am questioning whether that is economically possible without significant debt.

So my daughter has received the other replies she has been waiting on. Unfortunately, we were unable to visit Cal Lutheran and Whittier last spring when we did our SoCal tour, so we were planning on touring those two on accepted students day, but they were both canceled of course. LMU is her top choice, and CalLu is second. We are not hopeful that she will get on the waitlist though, so she is 95% set on CalLu. Anyone local know anything about the school- I'll take any info you have!

Chapman- denied
Loyola Marymount- waitlisted
Cal Lutheran- accepted with Provost scholarship
Whittier- accepted with Provost Scholarship

Well,my daughter went ahead and made her decision. She will be attending DePaul in Chicago (hopefully this fall if this virus lets us by then). We wish she could have made those last visits this month to help her feel more secure about the decision but she is happy it is made. Now to watch this all unfold and mourn all the things that have been or will be cancelled for the class of 2020. :(

Hi! Another mom of a senior here. What a crazy senior year. DD is also heading to UCF in the fall. It’s going to be so hard to have her that far away (we live in WA state) but I am thrilled for her and the opportunities it will allow her to have. She’s very excited about the warm weather. I was excited about more trips to Disney. 😉. Of course this whole Covid thing makes it hard. I’m not sure how orientation will work now? Time will tell I guess. Right now I’m trying to enjoy time with her while I have it. Good luck to all your kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter