Parking charge at wdw hotels

sam_rogers

painting with all the colours of the wind
Disney have recently announced that they will start charging overnight parking for guests staying at their resorts (not people just visiting for restaurants etc). This is for reservations made after 21st March and it looks like parking at the parks is still free for hotel guests. I think UK visitors probably tend to have longer stays than a lot of USA visitors so for those renting cars this could add a large cost over a 2 week stay. There's been a lot of discussion about this on other pages here but I noticed it hadn't popped up on the uk board yet so thought I'd make sure people were aware.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/guest-services/parking/

Not a good move by Disney in my opinion. Are they trying to force people off site? It costs an awful lot of money to stay on site as it is, adding to that is ridiculous. Disney seem to be more and more about upcharging. There is a tipping point. People have a genuine attachment to Disney and the parks, but they can't push this too far. When the drop off comes, it will come quickly.
I've e-mailed Disney to complain as I see this as a backward step. By the way, it doesn't actually affect me as DVC members still get free parking.

Ouch, it’s pretty expensive too. Seems like they are taking away some of the luxuries afforded to you when you stayed at Disney. I notice for dvc it’s still free. Could this just be another incentive initiative?

I don’t really understand why they are doing this. I’ve never noticed that they are short of spaces and so need to free up some by discouraging visitors. The Magical Express is going to be extremely busy now.

Yea I’ve never noticed any capacity issues in the car park. Seems a bit greedy. “Other hotels do it so why can’t we...” Other hotels don’t charge so much to begin with

WHAT????????????????????????????????????????????????
so in August when we stayed at SSR for 3 weeks, we would have paid $528 to park our rental car, in addition to the $12,000 we paid for the package???????
are they frigging out of their minds?????????????????????????????????

stop nickel and diming me disney...

and what i really can't believe, they're going to charge me even though i have a disability badge for the car.

in the past, i could use valet parking for free at those resorts with valet parking.

now i can't even self-park for free?

when you have a disability, using those buses is very very very difficult.

Last edited:
It will have to reach a tipping point at some point but can’t help but feel with all these big brands that Disney are snapping up, we’re along way off them reducing their pricing :(

charging overnight resort guests for parking, while leaving it free for day guests to the resort?

so i'm already paying incredibly high rates at the disney resorts, but now they're adding on a parking fee to park overnight at the resort i'm staying at?

so last August, i would have had to pay an additional $576.00 to park our rental car at SSR.

I think they've finally done it. Reached my tipping point.

Beth, if you book/have booked through a UK travel agent there is no charge for parking (currently until 2020, I believe). And DVC members staying at a DVC resort or on points at any other WDW resort are not affected.

So not many from the UK will be affected by the changes just yet.

They have only gone the same way as many, many other hotels in big cities and resorts all over the world.

You can still take DME for free so having a car is not an essential. I guess you make your choice and pay the parking fee if you want to park a car at the resorts. Personally, I welcome the changes. Maybe now we will be able to find a parking spot when we are staying at Boardwalk and come back from dinner around Illuminations time, as it will be easier to enforce the 3-hour limit for visitors/those not staying at the resort.

Beth, if you book/have booked through a UK travel agent there is no charge for parking (currently until 2020, I believe). And DVC members staying at a DVC resort or on points at any other WDW resort are not affected.

So not many from the UK will be affected by the changes just yet.

They have only gone the same way as many, many other hotels in big cities and resorts all over the world.

You can still take DME for free so having a car is not an essential. I guess you make your choice and pay the parking fee if you want to park a car at the resorts. Personally, I welcome the changes. Maybe now we will be able to find a parking spot when we are staying at Boardwalk and come back from dinner around Illuminations time, as it will be easier to enforce the 3-hour limit for visitors/those not staying at the resort.

the change starts for all reservations made after march 21, 2018..
so that's going to affect the upcoming UK free dining offer.....i haven't been paying attention, but i don't think it's out yet (is it?).....
i'm wondering if they'll throw in free parking into the UK offer...
it really is a huge amount to pay over the course of what are typical UK package extended stays..

and i have to disagree with you - it is not a welcome change...they're making things worse for paying resort guests - people who are already paying VERY high rates to stay in hotel rooms as compared to anything in the area.
if i compare the nightly rate i paid at SSR in august - there isn't another resort in orlando that costs as much - not even the four seasons..and now they're taking an additional fee on top of an already overly expensive rate?

and they're making it worse for a resort guest vs a day guest....i know why...they have no way to charge a day guest for visiting a resort..
while it's very easy to impose a fee on a resort guest....every time you drive your car in, you have to use your magic band..
it will be clear on the magic band that you've paid for your car or not..
so it's very easy to implement..

but charging a day guest is much more complex...

We stay in a value and for 2 weeks it would be just short of $200 just for parking. We don't do dining plan so that would massively decrease a budget for table service restaurants. We like to visit other places in the area and really don't like getting the park buses so it wouldn't be an option for us to just not have a car. Our September trip was always going to be the last one for a long time but every move seems likely disney is upcharging for everything and this is the final nail in the coffin for us.

Really Joh? You welcome having to pay an awful lot more money just to park your car?
Disney is NOT the same as many other hotels around the world. Their product is already considerably over priced when compared with hotels of a similar quality off site. I don't mind this as the offering is fairly unique - the position, the theming, the free transport, but paying for parking is just cheap.
I agree with you that parking at certain resorts is sometimes a problem, especially if you are staying there, but they are penalising the wrong people. By all means charge visitors to the resort for parking, either by the hour or by the day, but, oh no, they won't do that as they want people to come and spend money at the bars and restaurants in the resorts. The bottom line is becoming all important to Disney at the expense of the guest. You know me and so you know that I wouldn't say that lightly as my love for Disney and WDW goes back a long way.
I honestly think they've made an enormous mistake and will quickly backtrack when the level of ill feeling becomes obvious. If they don't I fear they will lose many customers.

the change starts for all reservations made after march 21, 2018..
so that's going to affect the upcoming UK free dining offer.....i haven't been paying attention, but i don't think it's out yet (is it?).....
i'm wondering if they'll throw in free parking into the UK offer...
it really is a huge amount to pay over the course of what are typical UK package extended stays..

Beth, The Dibb is reporting that Disney has confirmed that any packages booked through UK travel agents will not be subject to the parking charge until 2020.

Extract from post on the Dibb - Official news from Disney UK is that for any booking made before 31/12/2019 parking will be free. Booking made on or after 31/12/2019 will be charged as per the prices stated.

This applied to all UK bookings from not only Disney UK but from other uk travel agents too.
And while I completely understand that there are many who aren't happy, I for one am really not bothered. I don't think Disney will backtrack on this and I don't think people will stop going, they will stop renting cars but they won't stop going.

And yes, @Kevin Stringer if it means that I can park at Boardwalk of an evening when returning from dinner, I most definitely DO welcome the changes.

By definition, package means a combination of 2 of more products. So this means if I book hotel only via disney uk, I would have to pay the charges?

By definition, package means a combination of 2 of more products. So this means if I book hotel only via disney uk, I would have to pay the charges?

'Package' was the word I chose to use - the actual quote I posted is what has been received from Disney UK. You could always contact them direct to ak

And while I completely understand that there are many who aren't happy, I for one am really not bothered. I don't think Disney will backtrack on this and I don't think people will stop going, they will stop renting cars but they won't stop going.

And yes, @Kevin Stringer if it means that I can park at Boardwalk of an evening when returning from dinner, I most definitely DO welcome the changes.

You don't think anyone will stop going because of this new policy? Just look at the anger it's caused on the boards and the number of people who are saying this is a step too far. Whether that will be enough people to threaten Disney's bottom line, I don't know.
The other possibility is that people will stay off site more. You may as well have cheaper accomodation and pay for parking at the parks as to have expensive accomodation and pay to park at the resort on site.
None of this affects me as a DVC member, but I really can't see the fairness in it.

Beth, The Dibb is reporting that Disney has confirmed that any packages booked through UK travel agents will not be subject to the parking charge until 2020.

Extract from post on the Dibb - Official news from Disney UK is that for any booking made before 31/12/2019 parking will be free. Booking made on or after 31/12/2019 will be charged as per the prices stated.

This applied to all UK bookings from not only Disney UK but from other uk travel agents too.

i went into Disney.uk and it clearly states that bookings made after march 21, 2018 will be liable for the new fee.

however, it doesn't matter. Either way, they have gone too far.
I have a booking for this summer, which is clearly not affected since it was booked in September 2017.

Nevertheless, i am going to call on monday to cancel it and then send my cancellation confirmation to the powers that be (using the bigwig emails that were posted on another board) stating that while this reservation wasn't affected, they have gone too far and i'm done with them.

i know they won't care, but i'll feel better.

I booked in April last year so I'm also not affected but if I hadn't booked my flights last month we'd probably also be cancelling out of principle and going somewhere else on the travel bucket list. This charge is a step too far

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter