Part Timers

PrincessNelly

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

We are taking our annual trip late November/Early December and I've been thinking about getting a part time job to pay for the trip instead of using $$$ from our full time jobs. I don't need to because our trip doesn't cost much but I have a lot of free time so that is why I don't mind doing so. But I'd still like to do something enjoyable.

I have worked at an apparel retailer part time before and it was okay. Does anyone here work part time at a job they like? Any suggestions for places that pay more than $10/hr?

Is it crazy to get a second job just to pay for a trip? :D

You could try being a bank or credit union teller. Those are low-stress jobs that often hire part time workers and generally have a good wage.

As for being crazy or not, that isn't really for us to decide :P If that's how you want to spend your free time then go for it!

Not sure of your schedule but could you be a substitute teacher? Even if you don't have the college credits some states may require you might be qualified to sub for teachers aids.

So I'm not sure this job pays $10 or more where you are, but a side job I enjoy doing is ushering for our local county center. Essentially this is where all the big ticket events are held in my county such as the circus, basketball games, graduations, Nutcracker ballet, Beachboy Concerts, etc and it's indoors. I usher people to their seats and it's a very flexible job with flexible hours. The best part is it's all indoors with plenty of free parking.

Not sure of your schedule but could you be a substitute teacher? Even if you don't have the college credits some states may require you might be qualified to sub for teachers aids.

That's interesting. I never thought of doing that. I don't think it will work out because my availability for a part time will on be evenings but I'll look into this. Maybe therest an after school program that I could help with

So I'm not sure this job pays $10 or more where you are, but a side job I enjoy doing is ushering for our local county center. Essentially this is where all the big ticket events are held in my county such as the circus, basketball games, graduations, Nutcracker ballet, Beachboy Concerts, etc and it's indoors. I usher people to their seats and it's a very flexible job with flexible hours. The best part is it's all indoors with plenty of free parking.
Thanks. We quite a few rec centers and parks around here that host events often so I'll check there

I work part-time for a local orchestra. It's a job I love because I'm surrounded by so many creative people. There are lots of non-profits that hire part-timers. However, if you need evenings, the office aspect might not fit, but as mentioned above you could usher at events.
Several adults I know work for a local grocery store a couple of evenings a week. I mean adults with good jobs (like engineering). They pay decent and need shelf stockers in the evening.

I think if you want to work and have the time, there is nothing wrong with that. :) Good luck!

Babysitting/housesitting/petsitting is where it's at! Way less stress than a "regular" job, plus you generally make more money - $10-15/hr for babysitting where I am, maybe $20-ish/day for pet or house-sitting. Not a lot, but it adds up fast. People in my area are always posting on Nextdoor for recommendations.

I worked retail at Toys R Us (still there until next week) as a part timer as well as my full time job and it was fun working there. I worked weekends and some nights. The only issue is working retail can be tiring especially when you never get a full day off because your working either job.

In addition,

the money that you get isn't that great....You owe so much in back taxes because you aren't getting taxed as much at your other well paying job. I made 9000ish in a year as a Part timer (not including my regular pay at career job) with min wage at 9.75) In addition, to the taxes already paid i owed an additional 2000 :(

I worked retail at Toys R Us (still there until next week) as a part timer as well as my full time job and it was fun working there. I worked weekends and some nights. The only issue is working retail can be tiring especially when you never get a full day off because your working either job.

In addition,

the money that you get isn't that great....You owe so much in back taxes because you aren't getting taxed as much at your other well paying job. I made 9000ish in a year as a Part timer (not including my regular pay at career job) with min wage at 9.75) In addition, to the taxes already paid i owed an additional 2000 :(
Yes that's very true about the taxes. I get a retirement pension and I substitute teach. When I only sub a couple days a pay period sometimes they take out zero federal taxes. But when you combine that income with my monthly pay, I end up owing more.

I have been a high school volleyball official for 37 years. We have never used one penny from our regular jobs to pay for a vacation. The money I make officiating has paid for our vacations the last 37 years.

Hi All,

We are taking our annual trip late November/Early December and I've been thinking about getting a part time job to pay for the trip instead of using $$$ from our full time jobs. I don't need to because our trip doesn't cost much but I have a lot of free time so that is why I don't mind doing so. But I'd still like to do something enjoyable.

I have worked at an apparel retailer part time before and it was okay. Does anyone here work part time at a job they like? Any suggestions for places that pay more than $10/hr?

Is it crazy to get a second job just to pay for a trip? :D

NOT crazy at all - smart!!! Heck of a lot better than scrimping or going into debt for a vacation. Not certain of your area, but our Aldi starts at $12 an hour & actually several of the fast food places pay in that price range too!

When you have more than one income you need to adjust the withholdings to account for that so you won't owe so much at tax time that there is a penalty.

When you have more than one income you need to adjust the withholdings to account for that so you won't owe so much at tax time that there is a penalty.

Totally understand. I adjusted my witholdings after the first year but because retail part time could be 30+hrs during holiday season or 10 on and off. It's hard to figure out how much extra to withold.

Question. My wife and I both work second jobs. We both take out as much as possible at both jobs. Is that a good idea? Or do we want to take out less at the second job? Neither of us have ever had 2 jobs at the same time. But we have to in order to make ends meet right now. So was curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!