Personal View on TDR

Lei

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I'm Laila from Indonesia, and I frequent TDR since I was a kid. Well, at least once every two years.

I'm currently planning a trip to WDW, and is writing a pre-trip report about it over the main board.

For the latest post, I wrote about my view and 'past experience' in Tokyo Disney Resort, and thought I might as well share them here.

I'm sure many of the points have been discussed / answered here, but what the hey! Btw, I'm just copy pasting from my PTR, so there may be some things that references to my previous post on the PTR.

Anyways, enjoy!

Things You Should Know About Tokyo Disney Parks

** Tokyo Disney Resort (TDR) isn't owned by the The Walt Disney Company, but by The Oriental Land Company, with a license from The Walt Disney Company.

** TDR consists of two parks - Tokyo Disneyland (TDL) and Tokyo DisneySea (TDS) - and a bunch of official hotels. Tokyo Disneyland is basically Magic Kingdom's replica, while Tokyo DisneySea, the newer park, is unique to Tokyo.

** Overall, TDS is themed as a 'maritime adventure' park (or something...). The 'lands' are themed as ports from around the world. There's an Arabian port, Italian port, and even futuristic port. Each of the ports is themed so well and so detailed, they give Epcot WS a run for its money. TDS also has a much more 'mature' feel than TDL. Again, much like Epcot.

Hello from Venice!

** I won't blab too much on TDS, or else this post would be too wordy. But in short, I gotta say it is the most amazing the park Disney has ever created. Definitely the best of all! I was pretty sure I'm biased, but after reading many others' impressions of TDS on the board, I may not be so biased afterall ;)

** However, out of the two, TDL is still the more popular one. I guess it's because TDL's a lot cuter and more family-friendly? Japanese ARE huge suckers for anything cute. And as I've said, Tokyo DisneySea's theming is geared more towards adults. Jules Verne, children? No? OK.

** TDL copies Magic Kingdom, as opposed to Hong Kong Disneyland that copies Disneyland Cali. One example, look at their castles! (only, in real life, HKDL's castle's much smaller. And you thought it couldn't get smaller than DL's!). Another example is Splash Mountain. TDL's copies Magic Kingdom, down to the log's seat configuration. HKDL? They ain't got no SM. Say what?!

** Tokyo Disneyland's Main Street is called World's Bazaar, and it's the only Main Street that is covered with a canopy, to anticipate snow. Remember, Florida and California may be sunshine states, but Tokyo isn't!

Main Street's, um, World Bazaar's canopy!

** There is no slow times at TDR. I know many people complain about how WDW doesn't have slow times anymore, that it's busy all year round. But I'm sure they'd gladly eat their own words, once they witness the horror that is TDR's (especially TDL's) crowd!

Welcome to the low season! Just lovely

200 minutes line is not uncommon. By 10.30 am, most popular rides would have 120 min waits standby lines. The less popular ones would have 20-30 min. By 11 am, Fastpasses are gone for the rest of the day. On a normal day, I could only score 8-9 rides max for 11 hours of touring.

Do the Japanese cry in the queues, tear their hair apart in frustration, then bang on the Guest Services door to ask for refund? Nope. They just stand in lines submissively, queuing ever so patiently and quietly, robotic-like. Nearly everyone holds a game console to help them pass time.

I should've known better, but since I was "raised" this way, all my life I thought this is the only way to do Disney - just bear with the lines, and no complaining. Imagine my shock when I first learned about the 872,638 version of touring plans for the American parks!

** My theories for this phenomena - First, TDR is immensely popular in Tokyo, and it's very much a local park. So people would just drop by there anytime. After school, after work, on weekend dates, etc. Also, many locals go to TDR almost every day. No joke.

Second, a huge chunk of TDR's visitors are school groups. These kids are nowhere as pesky as, for instance, the infamous South American tour groups. In fact, they are very, very polite. But these groups are the huge factor of TDR's crazy crowds.

But really. How could there be school groups everyday? I totally don't get it. I've been to TDR numerous times, every time in different season / month, and these kids would always be around. Don't they ever go to school? (Should I just move my kid to Japan??) But seriously, it remains unanswered...

** Since they are local parks, TDR is not foreigner-friendly at all. Even a lot of the Cast Members don't speak English. They're all very helpful, though, and would be all out in helping guests (the Japanese would be very mortified if they can't help someone out!).

But if you have a specific question or request, you may have a bit of problem due to the language barrier. But if you're not fussy and just go with the flow, you'd do just fine.

** Japanese LOOOVE parades and shows. They would stake out viewing spots 3 hours before a show starts. They'd bring blankets, picnic mats and the whole nine yards.

Staking out spots for Fantasmic! three hours before...

... and 2,5 hours later...

** Japanese also love shopping at the parks. They'd buy even the most expensive, most useless items. After park closing, youd see many of them carrying dozens of shopping bags on their hands.

** Come to think about it, I believe many locals (I assume AP holders) drop by to the park only to shop, watch parades, and go home. I guess it's because they can always come back the next day. I like this mentality. They don't do commando style, and never complain about the lines. I almost never see that tired, frustrated looks that you see so often in WDW.

** Watch the (Caucasian) face characters interacts in both English and Japanese, so cool!

Ohai, Prince Eric!

** Speaking of which, there is no line for Meet & Greet at TDR. Everyone just sorta rush toward the characters. Though the crowds are always polite - never shoving nor pushing - it can be frustrating at times.

** TDR sells pins, but does not do pin trading. I assume it's because the Japanese are shy and don't usually talk to random strangers, even to nice Cast Members. It's an Asian thing!

** This shyness often creates depressing atmosphere during shows, especially if you're used to the expressive Americans. Japanese audience would act very timidly and just clap solemnly, even if the show is spectacular and everyone's (seems to be) enjoying it. No singing along, no whistling, no dancing, no nothing.

** This is one of the few things I dislike about TDR. I actually got shushed for singing along with Ariel in a show...& by my own sister! She said she's embarrassed because everyone else is silent. In WDW, I'm planning to sing along on top of my lungs, cheer, and make the performers feel appreciated.

** TDR's snacks are the craziest! Most famous of all is the popcorns. There are about a dozen of different popcorn flavors sold all over the parks, from coffee, to sea salt, to green tea. This quirk is not exclusive to TDR, though, as I've seen ice cream with flavors such as garlic and squid in Japanese stores. Very Fear Factor-ish.

** A lot of Japanese dress so well in the parks, and I love it. IMO, I think they see the parks as their shrine, their holy place. And when you go your shrine, you tend (and should) dress nicely, don't you? Also, nobody wants to look ugly on pictures!

** Women would wear pretty makeup, chic and stylish clothes (especially in cooler months. Can I say chinchilla coats?), cute, impractical accessories, shoulder bags, and amazing footwear (full-on leather boots WITH HEELS). Same goes with the men. They would put on nice shirts and pants. THIS AIN'T DISNEY. THIS IS FASHION WEEK!

Even kids dress this way!

Besides dressing well, lots of Japanese also dress YOLO-ish, not having a care in the world. I love these guys.

** As I grew up with Tokyo Disney, I've developed the same habit. I always prefer to wear something nice (never torturing, though) rather than something that is as comfortable as can be. And I've never had any pain issues. So when I read the many, many threads on Disboards, debating on the 'best' footwear for the parks, I would just go, huh?

Notice that my sister and I use shoulder bags instead of the usual 'park' bags...

(To be fair, due to the parks' sizes, touring hours in WDW can be more brutal, though.)

** Someone on the TDL board says that every time Tokyo Disney adapts an American show / attraction, they'd make it way better. I COMPLETELY AGREE. Tokyo's Splash Mountain? Better. Pooh's Hunny Hunt? It's so much better, it has become an E-ticket that has developed its own cult. Indiana Jones ride? Better. Fantasmic? WAY BETTER. There is definitely something in Japan's water.

Here are my favorite rides in TDL:

• Splash Mountain! Once I went to TDL to only ride SM 9-10 times, then went home after the marathon. Like no biggie! LOL. I like the seating configuration, and the fact that it's not super splashy. We never got to sit on wet seats.
  • Star Tours. Not the most amazing ride on earth, but it's a tradition. As a child, it is the very first ride I went on every morning.
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  • Haunted Mansion. Japanese narration make things less creepy!
  • Monster's Inc Ride and Go Seek
  • Space Mountain
  • They used to have an attraction called Cinderella's Castle Mystery Tour, which I went to once as a kid. It's a walking tour, which takes place inside the castle. The premise was that we supposed to encounter a lot of villains, and at the end, the guide would chose one kid to beat the main villain (a dragon?), using a magic wand. The overall ambience was rather gloomy and creepy. Also, it was in full-on Japanese, I didn't understand one single word! But as I think about it now, it's really a cool attraction and they should bring it back!

My favorite rides in TDS:

• 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The whole area of Mermaid Lagoon. If you're a LM fan, you'd have a spasm seeing this one special kiddie area!

Wa wa wee wa!

• Sinbad's Storybook Voyage. A "small world" type of dark ride, which tells the story of Sinbad, featuring what I believe as the best audio-animatronics in the universe.

• Toy Story Mania, of course.
  • Tower of Terror. You may wonder how ToT goes with TDS' theming, but get this - TDS' ToT is utterly, completely different from American versions. The only similarity is it's an elevator drop ride. The rest - the backstory, the decor, the characters - are entirely different. It has no connection with Twilight Zone whatsoever, and I personally love it!

ToT's facade...

... and some backstory

• Indiana Jones ride.
  • Fantasmic! It is on a whole different level from American versions.

Things I'll Miss from TDR When I'm at WDW:

• The people that dress like they're on fashion week.
  • The crazy snacks.
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Yes, it's that epic.
  • The feeling that if I miss something, I can comeback in near future, since it's closer to home.
  • The gloriously themed monorail!

Things I Look Forward from WDW:

• English. I won't have to carry audio translator during shows! Everything's in English! No more sign language! Hurrah!
  • The enthusiastic audience. No more solemn claps.
  • The shorter lines and better crowd control.
  • Onsite hotel. Believe it or not, in Tokyo, we've never ever stayed onsite!

And I guess that's all for now! Hope you enjoyed reding the little tidbits as much as I'm writing them! And I hope they motivate you to get to Tokyo Disney Resort someday. Because honestly... you should!

Thanks so much! What a great post! My family is planning a first-time trip to TDR in November, and this gives me a real feel for what the parks will be like.

Great post! Thanks for building my excitement just a little more hehe I'm also going in November...and the trip was all planned to take advantage of the 'low' crowds. You may have just given me a reality check!

Have a great time at WDW!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter