Petition to Save CoP

...been a Save CoP website/petition for awhile, now. I've already added my name to that one, I'll get around to adding my name to yours shortly.

The part that saddens me most is that, from everything I've heard for, literally, about two years now, the CoP machinery has been in need of a major overhaul. The time for such a rebuild is alledgedly long past, and for quite a few months, the attitude towards CoP has been "let's just run it until it falls apart."

I still haven't talked to anyone I really trust inside the park about this yet, so I'm not positive of anything, but my guess is that, if CoP _is_ actually down with no announced re-opening date, it is because the mechanism has finally given up.

If that's the case, no amount of signatures will bring it back.

Jeff

I agree that it appears that Disney probably just ran CoP into the ground until it fell apart. That seems to be what they often do with rides they no longer want. However, Disney could still repair it or rebuild it. If money is a problem (and it would be expensive), they could wait until the good times come back. This ride is like a museum piece and destroying it is just...WRONG. :mad:

As much as it is a museum piece, it may be time for it to go. IMHO nothing would offend Walt more then seeing a ride this outdated. I don't mean that its in bad shape and I don't mean updating the last scene. CoP nolonger depicts what it intends to. Just as Horizons fails to depict its goals correctly.
I've long advocated that they need a ride like COP and or Horizons at Epcot and I would welcome tearing CoP down if it looked like a good replacment was on the way.

The ride simply doesn't hold water anymore, even though I think it is an ingenious masterful ride.

YoHo, I agree, but it just seems bad form vis a vis timing.

If this is a cost saving measure, then it really stinks.

Now, if the thing is just caput and it would take major $ just to life support it through the 100 years celebration, then I'd side on the part of WDW. My gut is mad, but I don't have all the facts.

agreed, its bad timing. As to that, it may be more useful to call or write Disney as has been suggested in other threads then to sign an internet poll.

If the COP ride mechanicals just recently "gave up the ghost", I assume this would explain why there was NO advance notice of an impending closing (not even a rumor suggesting a definite closing date...). The part I find in poor taste was if this closing was planned or financially-driven - the celebration of Walt's 100th birthday (and the actual December 5th date coming up so soon) seems an odd time to close one of Walt Disney's classic attractions (and with no notice, too!). With neighboring attraction Timekeeper closed and the 100th celebration, this surprised me.

Now, if it's a mechanical problem that just hit late last week, is it also possible that no decision on COP's immediate fate has been made yet? The long-term future may be settled, with COP in it's last year regardless (though I hope not!), but is there any hope this is a breakdown which can be quickly - and cheaply - patched up to last another year???

I agree that a letter writing campaign would do more (and am gathering addresses to put up on the site) , but both are something - and now reguardless of what happens I don't have to say I did nothing :)

Also I'm just interested in saving it - not necessarily keeping it at its current location. I've always thought that it would work well in an Innoventions type setting as a walk around attraction. That would also solve the problem of the ride mechanisms (if it was the audience part and not the animatronic part).

-Chris M.

We see it everytime we are at the World, and still enjoy it. If it has to go, then I would like to see it's unique operating system used in a more updated attraction, with the same spirit. Maybe they are going to completely re-do it after the crunch lifts. I can't imagine that they are just closing another major attraction. Disney cannot cannot cannot be that foolish. Our net loss on attractions over the past few years is incredible.

So I guess I will miss it, but understand that it has had its run. But PLEASE add something just as delightful back in. The Magic Carpets just don't fill the void for me. The MK is going to turn into a museum soon. And I don't mean that in a positive way.

I am choosing to stay in car #2 on this one for now.

It is time to let go. This has been out dated for many years. I hear alot of complaints about the lack of new attractions. You can't have it both ways. Let it die !!!

THE CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS HAS OFFICIALLY CLOSED ON OCTOBER 22ND, 2001.

:D :D :D :D :D

IT'S ABOUT DARN TIME!!! WILL MISS A BIT THOUGH!

I don't think i'd mind much IF they had something planned in the wings, and of course they are still trying to figure out what to do with 20,000 leagues so I highly doubt anything is going to be done with COP.

If its the end, then thanks for the memories. They should have done it a bit more classier. When I heard that COP was closed for the first time, it felt like a big slap in the face to me. Even though it certainly wasn't a screaming favorite for me, the song "Great Big Beautiful Tommorow" always sticks in my mind now and then. (That reminds me to rip a copy of it off my WDW CD). This attraction has a very storied history since it was featured in the World's Fair. If they must tear up the attraction, I hope they replace it with an attraction that is worthy of the (supposedly) former attraction.

Most people outside the DIS might not realize it, but times are rough at WDW. Ironic thing about COP, one of my professors went to the attraction last week and had a little discussion about it. Bummer I couldn't do it one more time.:(

I sent a message to WDW the other day (it's stated at the bottom of this one) asking about the CoP. Here is what I received from them on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 (note: They state it is "still running"):

- - - - - - -
Dear Guest,

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS - Tomorrowland
Show Time: 20:45 minutes
Speed: 2 fps
Ride System: Sit-down revolving theater

Description: Trace 100 years of Progress for People as an "Audio- Animatronics"
family demonstrates the many conveniences made possible in American life by a
century of innovations in electricity.

This attraction is still running.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you - and have a DISNEY day!

Sincerely,

On Line Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD Reservations
P O Box 10,100
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0100

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

Has WDW's "Carousel of Progress" ride closed permanently?

Sincerely,
A Big Carousel of Progress Fan
- - - - - - -

It seems that Disney announced that CoP will not be closed permanently. They said that it is closed temporary due to a cost cutting exercise.

COME ON! STOP PULLING OUR LEG DISNEY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter