Phone calls from timeshare solicitors

LauraLea

DIS Veteran
Has anyone else been receiving phone calls lately from people wanting to either buy your timeshare or rent your points? I know names and addresses are public records once the deeds are recorded. We just purchase 5 separate contracts since April and are getting numerous calls, 3 in just one day!

This is particularly annoying as my DH works nights and sleeps during the day. He has not been coherent enough to catch any names. From experience, I know DH is not the least bit friendly (nice way of putting it) when he answers the phone after being awakened. So if it is the same person, you would think they would have learned after getting an earful!

We are on both a state and national Do Not Call Lists. Would these type of calls be covered by this?

Laura

As you get these calls, you can try saying, "Please take us off all your call lists," and wait until the caller agrees to do so. This works pretty well for organizations that are trying to stay within the law (and, when they call back anyway, it tells you which ones aren't trying to do so).

Laura - I am not listed in the phone book under my name.

You would need to know my whole name to find me.

I got a call last month from someone on this board who was upset because I was telling the whole story about Westgate.

when he started in I say 'what' and call me back at another time. He had never called me back.

that was very upsetting to me.

it means that someone (besides this website) can trace you back to your phone number....

Honestly, I've never gotten a solicitation call to sell my DVC or rent points, and I am in the phone book, and not on a do not call list.

I have gotten a few calls from folks telling me I "won" a vacation, and all I have to do is visit their timeshare. LOL. But, generally, the most annoying calls are recording wanting to sell me satellite TV. Funny, these folks don't understand that them bugging me greatly reduces the chance I may want their product.

Laura,

If you are on the "Do Not Call List", instruct your husband to say that and that he will report them. That's how I stopped the calls to my home!

GOOD LUCK,
Tom

Never got a phone call, but do get some mailings asking if we want to sell. Mostly come from firms in Texas for some reason.

I've gotten an automated message about selling my timeshare and my name and number is not in any phone book.

T.E. Yeary said:
Laura,

If you are on the "Do Not Call List", instruct your husband to say that and that he will report them. That's how I stopped the calls to my home!

GOOD LUCK,
Tom
I do that every time I get an unwanted solicitation. They MUST purchase the lists and follow them. I usually ask if they have purchased the state and national do not call lists. When they say yes, I say, well then you can't read very well. I then ask for all the pertinent information about their employer, and I proceed to report them. I RARELY get any unwanted solicitations anymore except for charities. :)

dianeschlicht said:
I do that every time I get an unwanted solicitation. They MUST purchase the lists and follow them. I usually ask if they have purchased the state and national do not call lists. When they say yes, I say, well then you can't read very well. I then ask for all the pertinent information about their employer, and I proceed to report them. I RARELY get any unwanted solicitations anymore except for charities. :)
You're lucky you don't still get calls from political parties -they exempted themselves from the law. But now I can't wait until they call! Any Minnesotan will understand why! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Best wishes -

The worst part is these people can be very believable and many times extra a fee up front to sell or rent with all types of promises (lies). When my son was younger I'd let them talk to the other MR. .... now I usually jerk them around by asking for their number to call them back at a time I'm pretty sure they won't be at work. When they say they don't take call at home, I say "exactly" and hang up. Or sometimes I create a family argument with knives or guns or similar and something that suggests they should call 911 to my house. Or I ask them to hold on and lay the phone down for 30 minutes or so where they can hear the TV or radio. Sometimes I "forget" why they're calling and ask them to start over then keep getting "interrupted" and ask them to hold a minute. When I come back, I make them start over each and every time. I have a couple of others but you get the idea.

Problem > phone solicitors...

Solution> large airhorn on desk by phone...

has never failed me yet...

good day,
Esmerelda :)

LauraLea said:
Has anyone else been receiving phone calls lately from people wanting to either buy your timeshare or rent your points? I know names and addresses are public records once the deeds are recorded. We just purchase 5 separate contracts since April and are getting numerous calls, 3 in just one day!

This is particularly annoying as my DH works nights and sleeps during the day. He has not been coherent enough to catch any names. From experience, I know DH is not the least bit friendly (nice way of putting it) when he answers the phone after being awakened. So if it is the same person, you would think they would have learned after getting an earful!

We are on both a state and national Do Not Call Lists. Would these type of calls be covered by this?

Laura

Haven't had anyone call but I have been getting a bunch of snail mail from people that say "Cash for your time share".

I am polite once to telemarketers, after that I am down right vulgar.

I have been on the do not cal list since its inception and for the most part it has been effective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter