Photography Lessons

Luvscrappin

Mouseketeer
So I am thinking I would like to take some photography lessons to improve my skills. What should I look for when choosing an instructor/ class? I am definitely an amateur but I love taking photos and now even more so that I am a new grandma and looking forward to taking my grand daughter to WDW. So did you all take lessons or are you self taught? thanks!

As far as shooting, self-taught wil work well for you. Back in the day, I did take a community college class so I could delve into darkroom work (chemicals, enlargers, the whole schmeer). But there are an amazing number of decent books that will teach you what you need to know. I personally would recommend one of the Naitonal Geographic books (the "Field Guide" series for example).

However, I will admit that journey is a little one-sided and can take longer. Working with a group, especially when doing class critiques, can expose you to other viewpoints that will help you season your "eye" - the way you think when you view and compose your work through a viewfinder. Look for college extension classes and local community center learning opportunities for inexpensive ways to do this.

Don't worry too much about post-processing. Even in the digital world, if you shoot it right, a lot of th computer "fixing" won't be necessary. And, if you go the class route, there'll be a chunk of discussion about it anyway.

A very good first step would be to read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Then I would start looking for a good tutorial series on YouTube.

I took a class 1,000 years ago (pre-digital) and I have forgotten most of what was taught regarding lighting, etc. but the one thing that stuck with me was take a lot of pictures. Based on the law of averages you'll get some good ones.

I am that annoying person at the party who needs to take another one (or three) in case the first one didn't come out.

I would second the Bryan Peterson book, Understanding Exposure. If you get nothing else, other than an understanding of the exposure triangle, it is well worth the read. Most, and I would argue all, photography is based on the relationship between Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO (the exposure triangle). It's not a hard read.

but the one thing that stuck with me was take a lot of pictures. Based on the law of averages you'll get some good ones.

This is called "spray and pray" photography, and not what taking serious pictures is about.

I am that annoying person at the party who needs to take another one (or three) in case the first one didn't come out.

if you compose your shot correctly, and put a little thought into it, you don't have to be "that annoying person" you described above.

I take more of a SNIPER'S approach. 1 shot - 1 kill

Reactions: KVH

I would second the Bryan Peterson book, Understanding Exposure. If you get nothing else, other than an understanding of the exposure triangle, it is well worth the read. Most, and I would argue all, photography is based on the relationship between Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO (the exposure triangle). It's not a hard read.

What he said. Bryan Peterson is a legend and a great teacher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!