Pick Up Luggage at Baggage Claim or use tags??

Piglet

<font color=blue>Can't beat <font color=red>Family
We are flying in to MCO in the evening. Expecting to book a flight arriving between 8 PM - 10 PM. At what point (time) would you retrieve your luggage rather than use the tags? This will be in January and I'm worried we could possibly be delayed from weather. What happens to your luggage if it has yellow tags and you end up getting in after 10? I'm assuming it is delivered the next day.
TIA

Grab your own bags at that point in the night. They will arrive ~3 hours after you arrive at your resort, which could be up to 90 minutes after landing.

When your flight accidentally lands after ten, your luggage will come out on the carousel, despite DME tags. If you don't pick it up, it will go to the unclaimed luggage room and DME should get it to your resort in the morning.

Don't tag the bags, get them yourselves. I seldom tag my bags if I'm arriving later than 6pm. If I arrive at 9, I'll be at my resort by 10ish, which means I may not get my bags until after midnight. If that happens, I just tell Bell Services I don't want luggage delivery, and to hold it until the morning. That then means I can't get settled before going to bed. So, no, after 6pm I get my own bags.

I agree with PPs that in your case I would not use the tags and pick up the luggage myself. If your flight is on time and arrives at 8pm, that means you would arrive at the resort roughly around 9:30pm, which means your luggage delivery window would be somewhere around 12:30-1:30am in the best case scenario. I assume you won't be leaving the resort once you get there, so for me, I'd rather be able to unpack and get settled right away.

I would also grab your bags from the carousel. My cut off to grab the bags is now 6:30 PM arrival to tag the bags. Being from the west coast, I tend to be up a bit later to wait for bags, but I don't want them past 11 PM or so. I grabbed my bags this past March when I arrived after 7 PM, and it only took a few extra minutes by the time I got off the plane, waited for my friend coming off the plane (not seated near each other), stopped in the bathroom, rode the fauxrail to the main terminal, and then found baggage claim. Bags came out within 2-3 minutes of arriving at baggage claim. The hardest part was that the bags were on the A side and had to go back up and across to the B terminal. We arrive at 5:49 in September, so will probably tag the bags this time.

I'm going to be the opposing vote.
Unless we are scheduled to land after 10:00, I do not get my bags, no matter how late we land.
I have no need my bags for the night, everything I need for the night and next day is in my carry on bag. Since I have no need for my bags I see no need to go get them. I'm not going to use them till the next day no matter what. I call and have bell services hold the bags till morning.
If, something happens and the flight is delayed and we do land after 10:00 PM, I can make the choice then about going to get the bags or letting them go ahead to baggage claim.
I got to witness how that process works last year. We had a flight that landed after 10:00, as much as I try to always avoid them. While I was picking up my bags there were numerous bags with yellow tags coming through. I assume since it was close to 10:00 these are likely from guests who were delayed in transit. Anyway, I watched the process the airlines use for them, and asked a few questions while waiting for my bags.
Each airline sends someone out to gather bags left on the belt. This is SOP, not just at MCO for Disney bags. There's always bags that are unclaimed. They bring them all to the airline baggage office.
The difference is at MCO, they have an area where all the bags with yellow tags are stored for the night, together and semi secured, waiting for the Bags, Inc employees to return that next morning. There is someone designated to go to each baggage claim office and retrieve all the bags that arrived after 10:00 the night before. They are then routed on to the resorts.
While the bags did remain in semi secure areas they weren't locked up and they are left on the belt for a while before they are gathered and taken to the office. I'm not crazy about that so most likely I'll grab my bags anytime we land after 10:00 unexpectedly

I would do the same as @AngiTN if you get in before 10p, call bell services and ask them to hold them if it's getting late. The second time I used the tags it was getting late (around midnight) and I went to call bell services to ask for a hold when i noticed the voice mail light blinking on my phone. Apparently they have a way of leaving a VM without having the phone ring. It was bell services letting me know my bags had arrived and if I wanted them then to call or if not just call in the morning and they would deliver them then. I called and asked them to bring them and they were there in less then 5 min.

I feel that's typical/to be expected - not 'best case'.

LOL yeah... what is to be expected is usually the best case scenario! Worst case scenario would be if the delivery is later than that due to delays, short staffed, etc. I've seen enough reports of people having luggage delivery late at night to know it can often take longer than that. But if all goes as expected, best case scenario is that they should have luggage by 1:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter