Pin Trading - our new board.

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
Our kids LOVE to pin trade. It’s a big part of our trips. We don’t trade, but we love to buy them for highlights. We buy pins to remember specific moments, locations and trips. We finally got around to putting together a display board. So, just for fun, I thought I’d share.

011D01F5-3DC0-4846-8072-ECD1F31FB498.jpeg

21607682-4B6B-4B52-B847-F58924213681.jpeg

Very nice. We need to make a board. What did you use?

It's a regular shadowbox that you can get at Michaels or other craft stores. It is about 20" square and I think it ran us about $40. From there, I simply got a piece of poster board (the color choice had as much to do with complimenting the wall color as anything), cut it to the size of the box, used appropriately sized bowls from the kitchen (and a ruler for spacing) to line out the head and ears, and cut with a sharp box cutter.

Honestly, the only difficult part was cutting - as that took a lot of patience to make sure I held the lines around the curves. Once cut, I glued the outline to the back of the shadowbox and that was it. All in all, I think it took me 45 minutes to make the box and another 30 to prep and lay out all the pins with the kids.

That's great!
Do the kids bring those pins to trade each time or just get new ones while there?

I was bummed because our kids traded matching Chip and Dale pins last time so I think I'll have to hold some back for myself.
Right now ours are just on a "Disney board" in their room.

That's great!
Do the kids bring those pins to trade each time or just get new ones while there?

I was bummed because our kids traded matching Chip and Dale pins last time so I think I'll have to hold some back for myself.
Right now ours are just on a "Disney board" in their room.

We have keepers and traders. The kids have traders that they use at the parks. On each trip, however, they also get one or two better pins that they keep. Those are in collector books or locked to their lanyard. Getting all the pins out, prepping lanyards, etc... is one of the great pre-trip traditions that gets us revved up.

As for the ones on the board, those are the ones my wife and I have purchased over the years. We don't trade. Most of these were purchased because of a special interest we have in what it reflects or, in many cases, a particular moment we want to remember. I buy 3 pins each trip - one to reflect a highlight memory of each of the three kids.

I know our kids will outgrow trading soon (we may have already seen the last of it for our girls), but I will always enjoy picking up one or two as a reminder of a particular trip or moment!

I LOVE this so very very much. Pins are fairly cheap, plus they are easy to store. The minimalist in me loves that it is a fun memory without being too much clutter.

Marty, good looking board!

You probably already know that at the Settlement Trading Post in the back right corner (near a rear door) is a pin trading board on the right hand wall that Cast Members will open up and trade with you from.

My DD was a Cast Member this past spring on the College Program and started collecting pins while she worked and visited the parks. One night during a visit she, DW, and I went to the Fort for a 50% CM discount at HDDR and after it was over we hit the Settlement TP. DD saw the board (big maybe 3' x 3') and trading taking place and was mad at herself for not bringing her pins with her to the Fort.

She is intense about this subject so I figure the next time we are back she will take her pins and do some trading.

Bama Ed

PS - the pin case has folding doors on each side to cover the pins which are in a type of shadow box. I'm not aware of a similar box at the Meadow TP. So next time you are at WDW, take the family with their pins to the Settlement TP. I had no previous idea this existed.

Last edited:
Marty, good looking board!

You probably already know that at the Settlement Trading Post in the back right corner (near a rear door) is a pin trading board on the right hand wall that Cast Members will open up and trade with you from.

My DD was a Cast Member this past spring on the College Program and started collecting pins while she worked and visited the parks. One night during a visit she, DW, and I went to the Fort for a 50% CM discount at HDDR and after it was over we hit the Settlement TP. DD saw the board (big maybe 3' x 3') and trading taking place and was mad at herself for not bringing her pins with her to the Fort.

She is intense about this subject so I figure the next time we are back she will take her pins and do some trading.

Bama Ed

PS - the pin case has folding doors on each side to cover the pins which are in a type of shadow box. I'm not aware of a similar box at the Meadow TP. So next time you are at WDW, take the family with their pins to the Settlement TP. I had no previous idea this existed.

Thanks Ed. Didn’t know about the board at Settlement. They do have a float at the marina that we checked regularly. We will check out the Settlement next time (which, as you know, is not nearly soon enough!).

Have a great Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!