Places to go

1437disney

Mouseketeer
Can anyone recommend a few other vacation places besides Disney that are great with special needs?

We are looking to go somewhere in the summer that is budget friendly. Our DD is 7. She loves Disney and is begging to go, but financially this year it is not possible. She loves the shorter shows (especially the street performers), meeting the characters and she likes the toy story rides.

A little information on her: she can not do extreme heat, she is mobile- but not very stable running, jumping etc, she has a very short attention span, she seeks sensory but oddly does not like rides/rollercoasters and has learning disabilities.

If this post is in the wrong forum, please move.

TIA

Any of the Sea World owned parks are very good with special needs. The parks they own are:
  • Aquatica
  • SeaWorld
  • Busch Gardens
  • Adventure Island
  • Water Country USA
  • Sesame Place
Sesame Place is about a 5.5 hour drive and tickets start at $35 per person. You would probably have a hotel room, but I can't imagine that being too expensive.

I know many others in California, but my guess is that would be too far away.

I have heard about Morgan's Wonderland in Texas, but I don't have any first-hand experience. It's an amusement park designed for kids with special needs.

My DD loves Disney on Ice shows. There's enough variety of movement that it keeps her attention well. I don't know if there's a show close enough for you to make a long weekend or tie it in with anything else as a "Disney" fix.

Really budget friendly -- do you have any lakes/beaches nearby? Or if looking to make it a vacation, maybe within a few hours drive. We also enjoy camping; if you don't already have equipment, maybe you could borrow or rent before making an investment in your own. Camping can be very budget friendly, and tie it in with other relatively low-cost day trips nearby the campground.

I'm going to move this to the disABILITIES Community Forum since it doesn't pertain to Disney trip planning.

Any of the Sea World owned parks are very good with special needs. The parks they own are:
  • Aquatica
  • SeaWorld
  • Busch Gardens
  • Adventure Island
  • Water Country USA
  • Sesame Place
Sesame Place is about a 5.5 hour drive and tickets start at $35 per person. You would probably have a hotel room, but I can't imagine that being too expensive.

I know many others in California, but my guess is that would be too far away.

I have heard about Morgan's Wonderland in Texas, but I don't have any first-hand experience. It's an amusement park designed for kids with special needs.

My DD loves Disney on Ice shows. There's enough variety of movement that it keeps her attention well. I don't know if there's a show close enough for you to make a long weekend or tie it in with anything else as a "Disney" fix.

Really budget friendly -- do you have any lakes/beaches nearby? Or if looking to make it a vacation, maybe within a few hours drive. We also enjoy camping; if you don't already have equipment, maybe you could borrow or rent before making an investment in your own. Camping can be very budget friendly, and tie it in with other relatively low-cost day trips nearby the campground.

I'm going to move this to the disABILITIES Community Forum since it doesn't pertain to Disney trip planning.
thanks !

Sea World Orlando just recently became the first Autism friendly certified theme park in the U.S.

Sea World Orlando just recently became the first Autism friendly certified theme park in the U.S.

Maybe the first Sea World location, or maybe the first in Orlando, or the first [something]. But I know for a fact Sesame Place received Autism-friendly designation more than a year ago. And they were declared "World's First Certified Autism Center Theme Park." I'm thinking there must be different designations creating multiple similar "firsts" -- size, region, certifying agency, etc.

Kennywood, in Pittsburgh, PA, has also received autism center designation. There are also some great museums in the area if you don't want just theme park time.

I thought of Morgan's Wonderland also, but you said your DD can't do extreme heat. This is San Antonio in the summer-definitelty extreme heat. I'm attending a conference for Spastic Paraplegia next month in San Antonio next month, and one of the events is at Morgan's Wonderland-I'm considering skipping it, because I hate very hot weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!