planned a June trip? Are you optimistic?

Bethany10

DIS Veteran
Basically, Talk me down off the ledge here b/c while I feel the fact that you can't buy canned goods or TP around here (major metro area) is ridiculous, I'm really nervous for our trip this summer.

We're booked for May 31- June 6th. I'm grateful we can cancel if need be and I'm not cancelling anything until May at the earliest. Certainly wait and see is the best approach here. I'm also aware no one has a crystal ball.

But I'm quietly freaking out that we won't be able to travel and am curious if others are as well or you think we'll be coming back from this by then.

Edited to add: My kids are on spring break and my office has switched to work from home, so we are hunkered down in our house with enough food for 2 weeks. I'm really hoping schools don't stay closed after break but we'll deal with it if they do.

I have just decided to think I'm not going (may 22-May 31). I'm not canceling until they say I have to, but just decided to believe not going. I always complain I don't have enough time to binge watch this or that TV shows or read all my books. So much more time now! Trying to make the best of it -- although I was pretty danged sad for the last few days when everything started canceling.

May 12-15 for Universal here, followed by a Disney stay. It's 8 weeks out, I am remaining optimistic. It's completely unpredictable and mostly out of my control, so I'm just watching and waiting. Making my Disney FP tomorrow morning.

Supposed to be flying in from Australia on 20 April for 10 nights at Universal before heading up to NY. 99% sure we won't be coming, but haven't cancelled just yet.

Let’s have a major sprinkle of Mummy dust here hoping all will be well in the coming weeks. I have ressies and AP’s updated and ready to take grandson on our annual after schools over vacation to Universal in May.

So like you all and many others I ‘am hoping things go well and the early precautions that were put in place will work.

Hang in there

We're close to that same time frame - very end of May through the first week and a half of June. I'm going to leave everything booked and I'm planning to make my fastpasses at the end of the month, but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind that I may have to reschedule. I really hope not, I'm ready for a family vacation! We're gearing up for school closure here - kids go tomorrow only if they need materials that they haven't brought home already. My middle schooler will go in because she didn't bring home everything Friday. My two elementary schoolers have pretty much everything and I work at their school and have to be there, so I can bring home anything they missed. Crossing my fingers that our trip stays intact - I'll need it for my sanity after this!

We're booked for June 5-7 at Universal and 7-13 at WDW, and I'm trying to be both hopeful and realistic. With the CDC now recommending no gatherings of 50 people or more for 8 weeks, I suspect that everything will be on shut down until early May. We started planning this trip over a year ago, and it's a first visit for everyone in the group except for me. I haven't been back to Orlando since 2005 though, so a lot has changed and I've been really looking forward to the trip. But I keep reminding myself that we might need to postpone the trip, and that won't be the end of the world, and I waited that long and I can wait again. Really hoping we can still go, but trying to be realistic that we might not be able to.

I'm April 24th. LOL

Mentally, I'm putting my chances at about 10% - and I'm an optimist. :D If mine were May 31, I'd be thinking about 60%.

I can change that to 59% or 61% if you want it to seem less arbitrary than it actually is. ;)

This information is a few months after your timeframe, but maybe it will offer some hope. Last week, Southwest opened flights for after August 10. I bought our tickets for our HHN trip in October, and I kept checking the flights after that. Prices have increased and some sold out (some coming back for sale but for a higher price). So, at least people are optimistic for the fall dates. The deluxe resort prices have not dropped and are pretty high too.

I'm planning my makeup trip for the second week of November...from what I've read I'm not optimistic about spring or summer.

Personally I'm not optimistic about HHN this year. Was really looking forward to the 30th but it may be scaled back now.
I was really looking forward to the Mardia Gras 25th as well.
I cancelled the May trip - even if I could go do I want to?

It good to discuss all this, but in the scheme of things there are much more important things.
Part of me still regrets not going to Universal the week of the 8th, but I am also glad I was at home when things turned, which is what I had expected.

Reactions: AJA
I read yesterday that someone (Treasury dept?) is estimating this all could last 10-12 weeks, which would take us to around mid-June. If I had a May or June trip planned, I would start making back-up plans but not cancel anything until there's a formal announcement from Universal that they will be closed during your dates.

I can't imagine how all these companies, restaurants, etc. being closed for another 3 months will be sustainable. Its mind-blowing to consider.

I have (had?) a reservation for May 1st for UOR and then moving to WDW on the 7th. The Disney portion of our trip is cancelled since DH's work didn't give out the mid-March bonus that he normally gets. UOR is still possible since we have APs and I'm looking to move it to the first week of June like OP. I'm cautiously optimistic because we're doing okay here but am more concerned about when FL is going to be ready for tourists since they shut things down later than they did here. I don't know if I'll push it out to late June since I'm not big on heat/crowds and we were planning on a November trip, too, but we'll see. If it comes down to it I may consider a couple of days in June at one of the deluxe resorts (for EPs) instead of the 8 days at CB and then do the long trip at CB in November.

I can't imagine how all these companies, restaurants, etc. being closed for another 3 months will be sustainable. Its mind-blowing to consider.
It is going to be a challenge - no doubt.
When things do re-open, there will be a lot of pent up demand and the restaurants that survive will be busy.
I am very concerned about the wait staff - its going to be very tough on them - and unemployment wont really take into account tips if they did not declare them fully. I see this as a huge flaw in the tipping system.
When thing do open, and if I can, Ill be taking good care of my favorite servers.

back to the original topic:
Currently I saw that the partner Hotels at Disney Spring are closed until April 30th. I expect that is a pre cursor to Disney and Universal doing the same. I see no way they could open April 1st.
I suspect they will do it two weeks at a time to try to reduce the affect on the stock.
I think Universal will come out of this OK, but Disney will have a tough road ahead.

I'm cautiously optimistic because we're doing okay here but am more concerned about when FL is going to be ready for tourists since they shut things down later than they did here.
Things still are not fully shut in FL it seems.
Spoke to a co worker and he said the beaches in his town were still open, most of the other town had already closed.
They were packed shoulder to shoulder with people and the police were busy giving out parking tickets.
mind boggling.

Things still are not fully shut in FL it seems.
Spoke to a co worker and he said the beaches in his town were still open, most of the other town had already closed.
They were packed shoulder to shoulder with people and the police were busy giving out parking tickets.
mind boggling.

Ugh - this. Everything can be on the upswing at home but if FL is still a hotspot I'm not going to risk it no matter how badly I want to be at my happy place.

As slow as Florida is to react, I wouldn't be surprised if when they finally do, this closure isn't going to last much longer than people are thinking.

I'm convinced we're looking at late April if not early May for re-opening. Kansas City is under Shelter in Place until April 24th, with schools out until at least then. I think the real speculation will be how they can re-open when this does die down. We're looking at late August as our rebook date, or the kids have a long weekend in October. I'm just not sure I want to deal with the late August heat.

I am reminded, as I sit in my warm home working, being able to provide my children with (overtaxed at the moment) internet so they can do online learning how very, very lucky we are. There was a time, not long ago when our lives would have looked very different in this scenario.

May 12-15 for Universal here, followed by a Disney stay. It's 8 weeks out, I am remaining optimistic. It's completely unpredictable and mostly out of my control, so I'm just watching and waiting. Making my Disney FP tomorrow morning.
My Universal trip starts May 12th too. I was going to book a Disney stay for later in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter