planned a June trip? Are you optimistic?

I've started mentally preparing myself for the fact that my May 2nd Disney trip is toast. Yesterday I booked Portofino in Nov to have something to move my airfare to when I finally pull the plug (we really don't have any other options for a Disney trip this year). Happy to be going to Uni again, but I'm sad to be missing Galaxy's Edge.

I never did fully cancel the Disney portion of our May trip so we're actually rescheduling it for late September with the free dining offer that was released. It will be $200 less than what we were going to pay in May and included the quick service meal plan so it was kind of a no brainer. We're not paying for kids' extracurriculars right now so we can make it work. We were going to move the UOR portion of the May trip to the first bit of June but have decided on a short trip in July to UOR for DS's birthday and the short September trip to WDW will be for DD's birthday. With the extension of our UOR APs we're pushing out our November trip and going for a week-long trip in December for our 20th anniversary.

All of this is fluid, of course, but I'm willing to see how (if) it plays out. At least this has given me something to keep my brain occupied. DS turns 11 this year so I'm excited to "take him to Hogwarts" for his 11th birthday, even if I swore I would never go back to Florida during the summer.

So what do people think about an opening near end of July ? We are booked for the end of July- the 23 for arrival! I guess part of me still holding onto hope that it will be possible.
Like everyone, we are stressed out with all of this. Luckily, we all have paychecks coming in still so we are more fortunate than many on that front. But it comes with its own cost as our jobs all involve either constant contact with the public or in my case trying to teach online with very little training in how to do so and constant tech challenges as we try to help our students . This trip was a little something to look forward to in these crazy times.
So silly, yes I guess, but still holding out hope that we can go on the July trip. We are also DVC members with a resort stay (no parks) planned to follow our time at universal and we stand to lose a substantial amount of points if it cancels. And since I teach, moving the trip to late aug or fall not an option! Guess we will have to see!

It sounds like they are really targeting June from the bit that I have read.
Not sure Disney could afford it to go on longer.
If its not open in July then I think we are in a lot of trouble overall.

Florida seems to be doing quite well overall as far as COVID and we still dont know if warmer weather will help.
Of course if your affected by this its pretty bad - no doubt - but considering all the tourism I would have expected it to be far worse.

I can see one park opening first and if all is fine, then the other 2 parks.

I have looked at Delta’s site and lot of flights listed for when my trip will be in September.

I should take a look at June’s flight schedules to see if they are limited.

I think a July opening is likely. Possibly sometime in June even. It's really going to depend on how well people actually shelter in place and flatten the curve to get numbers down. And as others mentioned warmer weather could help lower it too. I would expect a staggered opening though. One or two parks, possibly only outdoor attractions to start, and maybe other changes. Many places are expected to peak and start dropping off this month and some into May but that would still give 2 months or so for it to plateau and drop off.

I'd say the Disney hotel stay will have a good chance of being good at least Even if parks aren't fully open by then I could see hotels getting back to operation and shopping reopening hopefully. So you might be able to at least still hang around the resorts and go to Downtown Disney even if parks aren't open. Obviosuly this all still speculation at this time but I'm imagining midsummer for stuff to start getting back.

I know this has been discussed many times but
If opening in July, think August will be a good time to go if you aren’t worried about covid? Wondering if it will be slower from those that are worried about covid or super crowded because everyone wants to get their vacation in before school.

I honestly wouldn't plan anything for this summer at all IMO.

Until the government and health providers can do mass random testing (and not just testing people who have symptoms that come into the hospital), coupled with contact tracing (i.e. everyone who tests positive in random test, they trace everyone that person came into contact with and quarantine those people as well), barring a vaccine being found I don't see mass gathering places (sports venues, amusement parks, concerts etc.) being able to safely open for quite a long time.

I think there could be a chance that Universal will allow Disney to open first to see how everything transpires. Its been discussed that because Disney's revenue relies so heavily on the parks, they are taking a harder hit than Universal is who has more/different streams of income, less reliant on their theme parks. Because Universal can "afford" to stay closed for longer, it might be wise to see how Disney rolls things out, and then do something similar or adjust accordingly. Would also help from a PR perspective.

I'm scheduled for a June 3 trip. I don't think Disney will risk opening the Parks till later this year. Besides, would you want spend your hard earned money for a heavily modified Experience? Maybe 2021 is more realistic.

When and if they open and that probably may not be for awhile, are they allowing people from other countries? Seems to me they should limit to people here when they eventually open at first and see how that goes that would cut crowds down etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter