Planning a Trip in 2019? Let's Share Our Budgets!

Since my last update, I received an unexpected $50 refund check, ordered and received $25 PayPal from SB, ordered and received a $25 virtual Visa GC from SB which I used to purchase a $25 Disney GC from disneygiftcard .com. I also purchased the last of 6 $50 Disney GCs using my AmEx and SB QR code. I already got the email to let me know that I received a $30 statement credit from AmEx. And I redeemed for another $25 PayPal from SB.
Updated totals:
$950 in Disney GCs
$809.36 in cash
$180 Visa Gift Cards
$50 Amazon GC
8/13/18 ETA: Today I received the $25 Disney GC that I ordered from Disneystore. I also got my $25 Amazon GC from Perk and the $25 PayPal from SB. I also redeemed for another $25 PayPal from SB.

8/17/18 ETA: I received the $25 PayPal from SB. Going to be busy during the coming week because our daughter is getting married and it's wedding week!
Wedding week is over and it's back to normal life! My daughter was such a beautiful bride and we are so blessed to have a new son in our lives. The happy couple is honeymooning in Costa Rica while Mom and Dad get to take on "cat duty" for the week. I can finally get back to serious earning for Disney.

Since my last post, I redeemed for and received a $25 Amazon GC from Perk and $25 PayPal from SB (but spent it on skins for my MBs on magicyourband.com). I also received $428.40 via PayPal from a DVC rental. And I redeemed for another $25 PayPal from SB.

Updated totals:
$950 in Disney GCs ($150 pending)
$1186.78 in cash ($25 pending)
$180 Visa Gift Cards ($25 pending)
$75 Amazon GC ($25 pending)
ETA 9/2/18: I received the $25 PayPal from SB. Cashed in for $25 PayPal from EarnHoney, plus redeemed for $25 Amazon on Perk and $25 Visa eGC on SB. Ordered a packet of 3 $50 Disney GCs from Sam's Club, paying with a $15 Sam's GC and my Discover IT Card (5% at wholesale warehouses this quarter). Paid $127.98 OOP and will get $6.40 cashbask plus another $6.40 when my anniversary date rolls around. Totals have been updated.

Last edited:
We have been to Disney the last 2 Summers for vacation. We would like to go in 2019 also but I do not think we will have the money saved for it unless we can get free dining. Does anyone think free dining would start as early as the week of August 12th? I really doubt it would start that early but I was hoping it would start early to entice people to travel late Summer even though Galaxies Edge won't be open yet instead of those people waiting until 2020. I know that is a stretch but we want to go. We cannot go later than that because of school starting....teacher/student. I am estimating that food/snacks for three for 5 days would not be less that $750.

We have been to Disney the last 2 Summers for vacation. We would like to go in 2019 also but I do not think we will have the money saved for it unless we can get free dining. Does anyone think free dining would start as early as the week of August 12th? I really doubt it would start that early but I was hoping it would start early to entice people to travel late Summer even though Galaxies Edge won't be open yet instead of those people waiting until 2020. I know that is a stretch but we want to go. We cannot go later than that because of school starting....teacher/student. I am estimating that food/snacks for three for 5 days would not be less that $750.
Anything is possible. From what I heard, attendance was not as high as expected this summer. Perhaps just because so many are waiting until SW:GE opens in late 2019. If Disney anticipates low attendance in August of next year, they may very well extend *free* dining to earlier weeks in August. FWIW, the current bounceback offer is *free* dining for dates that include June 28 - Sept. 7, 2019.

Of course, you have to actually visit Disney between now and Oct. 31, 2018 in order to book a bounceback. :sad1: But the same dates may apply to the annual *free* dining offer for the general public next spring.

This year's free dining included those dates if you have a Disney Visa, plus you can book before the general public by a few days. And as Marionnette said, the current bounceback includes free dining for those dates. I don't know where you are, but it might be worth making an overnight trip to book. I went last weekend (10 hours each way), but we have six Disney adults going next fourth of July, and four of them are teens/early twenties, so they will eat plenty :teeth: We don't typically purchase the dining plan, but I think free dining will end up being the best discount for our group.

Thanks for the replies and we are hoping free dining dates work for us. I goofed and didn't even think about the bounce back offer while we were there in July. We are 18 hours away so I wouldn't be able to go for a night to be able to book the bounceback offer but that would have been a good option if we were less than 6-7 hours away.

So I'm extending a conference stay at the Swan and bringing the family down for a few magical days in July next year. We're assuming needing $6,054 all-in out of pocket. We're planning to have pocketed $1500 in gift cards to cover food + fun money to spend in the parks for the 5 days, so it'll end up being $4,554 out of pocket assuming we hit the $1500 mark from SwagBucks earnings (currently at $225 and shouldn't have any issues hitting this goal so we don't have to actually PAY for those bonuses).

Here's the current breakout...

Extended Hotel Accommodations after taxes and resort fees: $1423.01
5 Day Park Tickets with Convention Pricing after taxes: $1,476.10 (2 adult, 2 child)
Photo Pass: $169
Airline Flights for 3 (since mine will be covered in the travel budget at work): Budgeting $299/each on SWA, may be offset with points
Stroller Kingdom Rental: $70 (single BOB rental)
Grocery delivery for basics in the room: $100 (leverage coupon from Garden Grocer)
Uber to/from MCO: $100
Airport Parking at Home: $80 (will be less once we redeem points)
Boarding for our dog: $238
Magic Bands: $103 (assumes the super fun designs and not the basic)

I need to go back and read through everyone else's budget to see what I've overlooked!

December 13-22
4 people (Mom, Dad & kids 9 & 13)

Off site in a rental

Hotel on the way there/back: 400
Park tickets: 1661.42 (base tickets from undercover tourist)
Gas: 350
Parking: 100
Rental house: 1238
Universal tickets: 710
Universal parking: 20
Spending money: 500
Food: 1580 (this is stops on the road, several QS/TS in the park, groceries for our house, food at universal)

Total budget for the trip is 6,559.42
I already made the deposit for the rental, so remaining balance on that is 673.89
Most of the trip will be paid for in advance with just bonuses/tax returns. I'll buy discounted gift cards for in the park (meals and souvenirs). Things like gas/parking/probably food will go on our card when we are there.

It's an 18 hour drive, so first and last day are in the car.

It's our second Disney trip and I'm glad we experienced staying in the park, but I don't think I want to do it again.

So current gift card goals:
  1. (3) 3-day park hoppers -$1080 (GC)
  2. Blue Bayou Fantasmic Package - $250 (GC)
  3. Disney gift cards for food - $300 (GC)
  • TOTAL GIFT CARD GOAL: $1630

For July I added $100 in gift cards. I purchased (2) $50 at Best Buy using the Swagbucks deals. I earned the $100 from Ibotta and Swagbucks.

Current gift card balance $600 out of $1630, 8 months to go!

Update for August!

I added $125 for the month. $50 from Swagbucks, $25 from Receipt Pal, and $50 from Earning Station.

Current gift card balance is $725 out of $1630, 7 months to go!

Minor vacation speedbump for us--our DD23 texted yesterday, and asked if her new boyfriend can go with us in April--assuming, of course, that they're still together. We didn't see this coming--she's never, ever asked to bring a friend of any kind along. I suspect this relationship is moving in to serious territory, pretty quickly. Luckily for us, we already booked 2 rooms, so we have a bed for him. DD says he'll pay for his own plane ticket--I don't mind treating him to the park passes, etc.

While we don't have our budget broken down, liek many of you do, I do know we have over $2000 in travel credit, whatever it's called from AAA to go towards the trip--we figure that covers our meals.

Added $225 (52 week savings challenge, Ibotta, eBay, Walmart gift cards I earned, etc.) to my vacation savings account. I now have $2576 in the account and still need $3124 to reach my current goal of $5700.

Added $225 (52 week savings challenge, Ebates, Ibotta, Achievement, etc.) to my vacation savings account. I now have $2802 in the account. I need $2898 to reach my current goal of $5700.

We are going Jan 24-29!
Right now, without any Disney Deals... we are at 5700 for the 6 of us.. that is Myself, Husband, and 4 kids. One will be 11 and is the cost of an adult. This is for 4 day park tickets, Disney dining and the hotel (Music). We spent 650 on 6 round trip flights, plus two bags there and back. We also are planning to take $1200 cash with us for dinner tips, extra food/snacks and souvenirs!

Also, memory maker is included in our 5700.

Okay, so to summarize:

School trip - goal $2000 cash ($300 - on target!)

Possible Disney trip - goal $810 cash (currently $0, and that's okay)
- Goal $2560 in Disney gift cards ($1200 - on target!)

September Update:
School trip - goal $2000 cash ($500 - on target!)

Possible Disney trip - goal $810 cash (currently $0, and that's okay)
- Goal $2560 in Disney Gift cards ($1325 - on target!)

We are in actual planning stages now so I'm firming up the budget and have dates set.

Travel dates are February 9-16. Traveling with 5 people (3 adults and 2 kids).

Flights - 0 (points used)
Hotel - $5072 (purchased, DVC Rental)
Park Tickets - $2015.84 (purchased)
Food Budget = $1500**
Souvenirs = $500**

Dog Boarding = $250
Airport Parking = $75
Supplies and extras = $50

Total expense - $9462.84

*Using SwagBucks to cover meals and extras. Current projected total is ~$2100

Total out of pocket - $7362.84

Last edited:
We are going in a very expensive time of the year. We will have 3-4 of our kids in college so we are limited on when we can go! Dec 14-22, 2019 for 8 nights. If all my kids go it will be for 6 adults. We will pay for our kids this time since they are in college and it will be considered Christmas gifts for all too. It seems so far away but the amount it will cost, thank goodness, I have time to plan and save. With 4 driving and 4 in school, it is a very expensive time in our lives!

We are splitting a VRBO with my sister. For our part of the 8 nights it is $2400.
If we purchase 6 adult tickets for 8 days right now on the military base it will be $2500.
I am budgeting $1300 for food at the parks.
Candlelight processional package I am budgeting $240.
MVMCP I am budgeting $650.
Hoop De Doo I am budgeting $400
Photopass military $98.
Golf cart since my parents will be in a RV my sister and i are splitting one so we can ride with them to look at lights etc. $140
That alone is around $7500!!! YIKES

We might rent a van if everyone rides together and that will be about $800 plus gas so around $1050.
If we drove probably about $150.
We will buy snacks for the VRBO and breakfast....around $150.

It adds up!
I am doing swagbucks, surveys, plasma etc.. but I am still curious on anything else Disboard people are doing.

What are your best money makers besides Swagbuck and Shopkicks? Oh..and Dosh I am using this for the cards at Sams.

Wedding week is over and it's back to normal life! My daughter was such a beautiful bride and we are so blessed to have a new son in our lives. The happy couple is honeymooning in Costa Rica while Mom and Dad get to take on "cat duty" for the week. I can finally get back to serious earning for Disney.

Since my last post, I redeemed for and received a $25 Amazon GC from Perk and $25 PayPal from SB (but spent it on skins for my MBs on magicyourband.com). I also received $428.40 via PayPal from a DVC rental. And I redeemed for another $25 PayPal from SB.

Updated totals:
$950 in Disney GCs ($150 pending)
$1186.78 in cash ($25 pending)
$180 Visa Gift Cards ($25 pending)
$75 Amazon GC ($25 pending)
ETA 9/2/18: I received the $25 PayPal from SB. Cashed in for $25 PayPal from EarnHoney, plus redeemed for $25 Amazon on Perk and $25 Visa eGC on SB. Ordered a packet of 3 $50 Disney GCs from Sam's Club, paying with a $15 Sam's GC and my Discover IT Card (5% at wholesale warehouses this quarter). Paid $127.98 OOP and will get $6.40 cashbask plus another $6.40 when my anniversary date rolls around. Totals have been updated.
Since my last post, I received my $25 virtual Visa from SB and ordered a $25 physical Disney GC with it. I got my $25 Amazon GC from Perk and combined it with my other Amazon GCs to order a $100 physical GC for Safeway. I intend to use it to purchase a $100 Disney GC when it arrives. Still waiting for the $25 PayPal from EarnHoney and the $150 in Disney GCs from Sam's Club. SB bonuses posted today and put me over 2500 points, so I redeemed for another $25 PayPal.

Updated totals:
$1225 in Disney GCs ($25 pending)
$1215.78 in cash
$80 Visa Gift Cards
$100 Safeway GC
ETA 9/07/18: The Disney GCs from Sam's Club arrived, I received $25 PayPal from EH and the $100 Safeway GC from Amazon. I bought $100 in Disney GCs at BB yesterday using my Visa GCs and used the SB QR code to (hopefully) get 950 SB plus my Best Buy rewards. Redeemed for and received the following - $25 Disney GC from Shopkick and $4 PayPal from Perk. Totals have been updated.

Oh...and my MBs for this year's F&W arrived. Time to bring them out with glittery skins from magicyourband.com!

Last edited:
Looks like DD and I will be heading back from Spring Break in 2019. I am thinking March 23rd - 28th. Right now planning on staying at POP, 4 day tickets no park hopper, and quick service dining plan - $2,218. We will fly so budgeting $600 and then $200 for souvenirs. I am hoping room only discount will become available and then we will just pay cash for food. I am also hoping for enough points to get at least one way tickets free but I will budget for the most and hope for less.

Total Budget - $3,018

So far I have saved $814! Have $2,204 left. Of course once discounts come out for March we may upgrade to a different hotel and thinking of booking Wild Africa Trek! We have done parties but never a tour and thought that would be a good one.

Slowly chipping away how much left to save.
Paid so far
memory maker (169)
flights (947.84)
package (409.88)

Savings
640.18 Gift Cards (w/25 pending from swagbucks)
4010 Cash
5.71 Paypal (w/25 pending from swagbucks)
31.16 Visa rewards
36.88 Change

Since we booked a deal with a travel agent our total cost is 7386.15 but I may add a little more to the food budget so we'd need 7586.15 altogether.

We have 6250.65 altogether in saved/paid items and 6300.65 when I add the pending amounts in as well

What we have left to save is 1135.50 or 1085.50 when pending amounts are added in. We're so close to being under the $1000 mark for savings!

Updated trip totals ( I changed some plans)

Still owing $4291 usd and $500 cad for dog boarding
Or $6170 Canadian total
Update:
I’m hoping to earn at least $500 in gift cards from PC points toward food totals and $250 from shopping apps/ Swagbucks to cover the hotels on the drive down and back. I will be tracking those earnings here.

Updated “Extra” Earning Totals:
Swagbucks $25.55
CO51 $1 ($22 check pending )
Caddle $2 ($20 check pending )
PC Points $84.39
PayPal $50.70
Airmiles Cash $0

Have - $205.64 of $750 goal. 7 months to go

Last edited:
Ugh.. I just saw airfare and was only planning on spending $600 but it is over $800. I hope the prices go down some but since it is spring break I am thinking it won't happen.

Since my last post, I received my $25 virtual Visa from SB and ordered a $25 physical Disney GC with it. I got my $25 Amazon GC from Perk and combined it with my other Amazon GCs to order a $100 physical GC for Safeway. I intend to use it to purchase a $100 Disney GC when it arrives. Still waiting for the $25 PayPal from EarnHoney and the $150 in Disney GCs from Sam's Club. SB bonuses posted today and put me over 2500 points, so I redeemed for another $25 PayPal.

Updated totals:
$1225 in Disney GCs ($25 pending)
$1215.78 in cash
$80 Visa Gift Cards
$100 Safeway GC
ETA 9/07/18: The Disney GCs from Sam's Club arrived, I received $25 PayPal from EH and the $100 Safeway GC from Amazon. I bought $100 in Disney GCs at BB yesterday using my Visa GCs and used the SB QR code to (hopefully) get 950 SB plus my Best Buy rewards. Redeemed for and received the following - $25 Disney GC from Shopkick and $4 PayPal from Perk. Totals have been updated.

Oh...and my MBs for this year's F&W arrived. Time to bring them out with glittery skins from magicyourband.com!
Today, I received the $25 Disney GC from disneygiftcard.com and $25 PayPal from SB. I cashed in for another $25 PayPal from SB and $2 PayPal from Perk (which arrived instantly).

Updated totals:
$1650 in Disney GCs
$986.78 in cash ($25 pending)
$80 Visa Gift Cards
$30 Target GC
I also got the news over the weekend that my two DVC wait lists came thru. We now have 4 nights at BWV followed by 3 nights AKV CL (which should save us some money on food and beverages). But then I began checking airfare for our return flight on American Airlines (Southwest won't be out for a while), and I nearly lost my lunch! $350 per person, one way! And that's coach, without choosing our seats! I think I will wait for Southwest...

ETA 09/12/18: I ran errands today and collected my Shopkicks and Checkpoints wherever I could. I finally earned enough Checkpoints to redeem for $5 PayPal and it came almost immediately. I also redeemed for $2 PayPal from Perk both yesterday and today for a total of $4. I used the $100 Safeway GC to purchase 2 $50 Disney GCs without a problem. Then at BB, I used our second AmEx card to purchase $300 in Disney GCs and should get the $30 statement credit plus SBs and BB Rewards points. I also picked up a baby shower gift at Target which I had ordered online and got about 193 SB pending plus Target sent me a $30 eGC after I picked up. I guess I will use it for incidentals since I can't use it for a Disney GC. Oh well, we will need snacks and earplanes for the trip next month...

Totals have been updated.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter