Plastics and Coronavirus - should bans be reconsidered?

AurumPunzel

DIS Veteran
Given the situation regarding the coronavirus and concerns from health experts that reusable products could exacerbate the spread of COVID-19, it's got me thinking about bans on single-use plastics and plastics that are often conflated with single-use, yet are often disputed due to their reuse potential, such as shopping bags.

With several US states and municipalities (and other countries) already reconsidering their bans in light of the situation, and with research casting doubt on the effectiveness of bans, do you think the coronavirus could end up becoming a reality check on the efficacy of plastic bans?

It has made me reconsider. I have used reusable shopping bags for years, and I am in Georgia where there is no ban on plastic bags. I just have always used them to help out the environment and help keep plastic bags out of the landfill.

Since the Coronavirus threat, I haven’t used a reusable shopping bag. I use plastic bags, and don’t even bring those into my house. I unload everything in the garage and use a Clorox wipe to clean everything before bringing it into my house. This has really made me reconsider all the germs that my reusable bags bring into my house on a weekly basis.

It has made me reconsider. I have used reusable shopping bags for years, and I am in Georgia where there is no ban on plastic bags. I just have always used them to help out the environment and help keep plastic bags out of the landfill.

Since the Coronavirus threat, I haven’t used a reusable shopping bag. I use plastic bags, and don’t even bring those into my house. I unload everything in the garage and use a Clorox wipe to clean everything before bringing it into my house. This has really made me reconsider all the germs that my reusable bags bring into my house on a weekly basis.
Yes, I think they should and will be reconsidered.

Our grocery stores will no longer put your items in reusable bags. And Starbucks will no longer put your drink in a reusable container.
I wish I had the choice here in the UK, but sadly, supermarkets still insist on using thicker bags that cost more, and use more plastic than before. And now they're even using them as a ploy to make more money, despite the fact the thin vest bags before were still cheaper than smaller binliners.

Disney should also reconsider the policy after this all blows over, since the cost and size of the bags have become the biggest complaint in their retail stores, and I've always questioned the hygiene of BYOB as well. The NWPP bags are too bland, and given that they're made in China (or Vietnam in the case of the European Disney Stores), it renders them more vulnerable to supply chain disruptions than plastic bags that are made locally and can still be reused. That, along with careful disposal and recycling, should be promoted over hazardous reusable tote bags that can possibly even lead to a relapse in coronavirus cases, if research into their hygiene is anything to go by.

You only have to watch any of the documentaries covering the impact of plastics in the ocean to know that limiting plastic waste makes sense. We also don't know the long term impact of consuming microplastics, which is now in our food chain.

A deadly virus doesn't give us the right to destroy the environment.

Given the situation regarding the coronavirus and concerns from health experts that reusable products could exacerbate the spread of COVID-19, it's got me thinking about bans on single-use plastics and plastics that are often conflated with single-use, yet are often disputed due to their reuse potential, such as shopping bags.

With several US states and municipalities (and other countries) already reconsidering their bans in light of the situation, and with research casting doubt on the effectiveness of bans, do you think the coronavirus could end up becoming a reality check on the efficacy of plastic bans?

I remember you from all the posts during when Disney started introducing re-usable bags (and no lids or straws)! Still upset I see. ;)

We haven't noticed any stores not packing our res-usable bags here. We feel fine using ours.

Destroying the environment has much worse long-term consequences than this virus.

You only have to watch any of the documentaries covering the impact of plastics in the ocean to know that limiting plastic waste makes sense. We also don't know the long term impact of consuming microplastics, which is now in our food chain.

I've seen those documentaries, but they don't tell you the whole truth, seeing as statistics point out that 90% of oceanic plastic pollution comes from Asia and Africa, and the West contributes close to just 1%. There are far better ways of addressing the problem than bans, because research has found that most bag bans result in an increase in plastic waste borne from dedicated single-use bags being used to make up for the banned bags, and bans also result in increased carbon emissions and resource usage, which adds up to increased climate change. Not to mention that reusable bags are often a health hazard, seeing as various studies found that an alarmingly high number of people don't fully sanitise their bags after use, and with the coronavirus crisis, many places are already discouraging people from taking their own reusables, even if they're already cleaned, as there's no guarantee people will property sanitise them.
I remember you from all the posts during when Disney started introducing re-usable bags (and no lids or straws)! Still upset I see. ;)

We haven't noticed any stores not packing our res-usable bags here. We feel fine using ours.

Destroying the environment has much worse long-term consequences than this virus.
It'll only be a matter of time before that's discouraged. Starbucks have already suspended their reusable cups programme, and several other places are already discouraging people from bringing their own bags/cups/containers, due to concerns that reusables could exacerbate the spread of coronavirus. Not to mention that several governments have suspended, scrapped and/or delayed their own bans.

I've seen those documentaries, but they don't tell you the whole truth, seeing as statistics point out that 90% of oceanic plastic pollution comes from Asia and Africa, and the West contributes close to just 1%. There are far better ways of addressing the problem than bans, because research has found that most bag bans result in an increase in plastic waste borne from dedicated single-use bags being used to make up for the banned bags, and bans also result in increased carbon emissions and resource usage, which adds up to increased climate change. Not to mention that reusable bags are often a health hazard, seeing as various studies found that an alarmingly high number of people don't fully sanitise their bags after use, and with the coronavirus crisis, many places are already discouraging people from taking their own reusables, even if they're already cleaned, as there's no guarantee people will property sanitise them.

What research? Please post these papers, not news articles. I'd love to read them.

Doctor: I have good news and bad news.
Patient: Give me the good first.
Doctor: You don't have Corona.
Patient. HURRAH ALL HAIL PLASTIC BAGS!!!
What's the bad news.
Doctor. You have microplastics infesting your lungs and other organs.

At aldis everyone bags their own. So nobody touches anyone's bags but themselves.

It'll only be a matter of time before that's discouraged. Starbucks have already suspended their reusable cups programme, and several other places are already discouraging people from bringing their own bags/cups/containers, due to concerns that reusables could exacerbate the spread of coronavirus. Not to mention that several governments have suspended, scrapped and/or delayed their own bans.
I don't know where you got your information but they aren't telling the whole truth either. It is our plastic being sent to those places along with that of other countries. Yes all that plastic "recycling" you thought you were doing? Much of it doesn't actually get recycled. Instead it's shipped to poorer countries where it ends up right back in our food chain. Many of these countries have started saying no. But we just find others.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/26/asia/malaysia-plastic-recycle-intl/index.html

Last edited:
The problem with reusable anything isn’t the fact that it’s reusable. The problem is a lack of hygiene. Are you part of the crowd that finds this whole hand washing thing to be new? Then you’re part of the problem.
Of course not. I always maintain good hygiene, and have done so for years. However, in terms of reusables, not everyone follows through on hygiene, and fears that pathologists have expressed for years are already coming home to roost.

I don't know where you got your information but they aren't telling the whole truth either. It is OUR plastic being sent to those places. Yes all that plastic "recycling" you thought you were doing? Much of it doesn't actually get recycled. Instead it's shipped to poorer countries where it ends up right back in our food chain.
Well, that's just the fault of waste management companies who are being too stingy to properly invest in their facilties at home, and only care more about profits than actually doing the job properly.

As for concerns that reusables can harbour disease, here's a study: https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/205/11/1639/844906?mod=article_inline

Although this was norovirus and 2011, the concerns expressed in this study are still perfectly valid. And as for the efficacy of bans, research conducted at the University of Sydney in Australia found that bag bans result in increased consumption of dedicated single-use plastic bags for waste management, which cancels out the supposed benefits of a bag ban.

How about this? If you bring your own, reusable bags, you have to pack your own groceries. I think that should be happening anyhow. Right now there are 3 people touching your groceries: you, the cashier, and the bagger. Drop the bagger from the chain- they won't touch your stuff, so you only have to worry about what's happening with the cashier.
(OK... I know there's more in the chain- the people behind the scenes who unpack boxes and stock shelves, other consumers who pick up something and put it back, etc... but some things just can't be controlled.)

Baloney. People shopping are as likely to get it from touching a shelf item that an infected person touched, from touching a credit card machine that an infected person touched, touching a shopping cart or basket that an infected person touched, etc. Reinstituting widespread disposable plastic bag use isn't going to stop the spread of this virus in stores.

Well, that's just the fault of waste management companies who are being too stingy to properly invest in their facilties at home, and only care more about profits than actually doing the job properly.

As for concerns that reusables can harbour disease, here's a study: https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/205/11/1639/844906?mod=article_inline

Although this was norovirus and 2011, the concerns expressed in this study are still perfectly valid. And as for the efficacy of bans, research conducted at the University of Sydney in Australia found that bag bans result in increased consumption of dedicated single-use plastic bags for waste management, which cancels out the supposed benefits of a bag ban.
Waste management can invest in facilities all they want. But there simply is not a market for many of these plastics. So unless you're advocating for those back east to use the Western United States as their waste dump, and I don't think those out west are going to like that, it simply is not realistic to just say build more facilities. We simply are generating more plastic than we can deal with and until we aren't, it's going to end up right back in our own food chain.
What Australia shows is you shouldn't leave loopholes big enough to drive a plastic truck through in your ban.
Pointing the finger at everyone else and excusing ourselves isn't going to get it done.

Baloney. People shopping are as likely to get it from touching a shelf item that an infected person touched, from touching a credit card machine that an infected person touched, touching a shopping cart or basket that an infected person touched, etc. Reinstituting widespread disposable plastic bag use isn't going to stop the spread of this virus in stores.
Stores are already enacting sanitation protocol on their shelves, carts and POS equipment, but they cannot sanitise other peoples' bags due to health and safety law, so the onus is on the person. But as research proved, the vast majority don't do that, and that's why many places (where possible) are already stopping people from bringing their own bags as a precaution.
Waste management can invest in facilities all they want. But there simply is not a market for many of these plastics. So unless you're advocating for those back east to use the Western United States as their waste dump, and I don't think those out west are going to like that, it simply is not realistic to just say build more facilities
There are already emerging markets for recycled plastics, but the issue is that they need to be promoted over virtue-signalling measures that clearly aren't working, and with the coronavirus, the dangers of transmission needs to be minimised. It's an effort that the industry needs to lead on.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter