PLEASE Help me build a trip

tyniknate

DIS Veteran
My husband and I want to bring our sons and their girlfriends to Cali and none of us have ever been there before. We are all adults except one, who is 14. Anyone willing to help us build our trip? We are pretty open to suggestions, as this is ALL new to us and we have no idea what we are doing. I am a big planner, but it all seems overwhelming to me. Here is what we would like to do:

Day 1: Fly into Las Vegas & stay over night. Youngest son NEEDS to just see Vegas (age 14)
Day 2: drive to Hoover Dam for a very short visit....drive to Anaheim where we have booked a home
Day 3:
Day 4:
Day 5:
Day 6:
Day 7:
Day 8:
Day 9: fly home late to PA

My youngest son NEEDS to see Vegas. The rest of us have no desire what-so-ever to see it, but he needs to, so this is a must. Also, my middle son wants to see the Hoover Dam, so we figured we could work the two in together. We tried to talk the both of them out of it, but these are a must. Since we live on the east coast, I figured we could add them onto the beginning of the trip and just get them over with.

Our only other requirements are one day at each of the Disneyland parks. Other than that, our time is free to build upon. What would you do if you were us and this was most likely your ONLY TRIP EVER TO CALI?

I think it depends on what else interests you and where you are from. Do you want to see the beach? Any interest in going to Universal? Do you want to see anymore of CA? If no one else really wants to go to LV is there anything there to make everyone happy? Maybe a singer or show? If so that might impact your decision on when to travel. Do you have any interest in seeing the parks decorated for Halloween or Christmas? The drive up the coast is amazing and so is Hearst Castle but that might not interest yours sons.

I agree with ExcitedMama, we need to know more about your family's interests and goals. Some people want to tour Hollywood and do all the "touristy" things, some want to lay on the beach or hike the national parks. For a one time trip you probably want a couple days at DL and a couple in LA or maybe San Diego, but the activities will depend on your interests.

Day 1: Fly into Las Vegas & stay over night.
Day 2: drive to Hoover Dam for a very short visit..drive to Anaheim
Day 3: DLR
Day 4: DLR
Day 5: DLR
Day 6: Santa Barbara
Day 7: Hollywood
Day 8: Beach - Santa Monica/Venice
Day 9: fly home late to PA

I used to live on the Monterey Peninsula so I’m a little bias. Beautiful area & worth a stop. Cannery Row & Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach (the lone cypress) and stop Pebble Beach Lodge for a drink outside while listening to bagpiper. Then there is Big Sur & Carmel. I also like Lake Tahoe, San Diego has the zoo & Legoland...just drive the coast. California is vast. It took us 6 plus hours to drive to DL from Monterey & 10 plus hours from Monterey to San Diego. You hit LA area & you just stop. San Francisco can also be a lot of fun.

I used to live on the Monterey Peninsula so I’m a little bias. Beautiful area & worth a stop. Cannery Row & Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach (the lone cypress) and stop Pebble Beach Lodge for a drink outside while listening to bagpiper.
I like all those, although at this point in time Cannery Row is one big tourist trap outside of the aquarium. Not that there's anything that wrong about it. I spent a good two hours there although it was to eat and to take a quick walk to the beach. There are all those little public access points that are required by the Coastal Act.

Where in Anaheim is the home you've booked? More specifically, how far is it from the park entrance (NB not the distance from the parks themselves, but from the actual gates)? This makes a difference. If the house is not conveniently located to the park gates, then I would recommend 3+ days to tour both parks. Get park hopper tickets to make the most of your time -- the parks are so close together that they really are more like one big park. 3+ day tickets purchased in advance come with a Magic Morning (= one hour early entry to DL in FL and TL on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays). More park days allows for a more relaxed touring schedule. You'll be able to take breaks, see shows, enjoy TS meals and dining packages, maybe take a tour. What is your Disney style (and previous Disney experience of any kind?) and what are your DLR interests? And when were you thinking of visiting? That can make a big difference in crowd density in the parks.

This thread may give you some trip ideas: *** Things to Do When Visiting California & the West ***.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter