Please stop bringing in your fake service dogs! The Asphalt is SCALDING!

There's a coating that can be applied to the bottom of the dogs feet to protect them from the hot surfaces. By looking at them, you cannot tell if it's been applied. So while these dogs are walking on the hot surface, they may have coated paws. The way you cannot tell if the service dog is real or not, you cannot tell if paws are coated either

The problem is a narcissist that uses the loopholes to bring a petdog along solely for his personal entertainment doesn’t care about the wellbeing of the animal bc he or she only cares about him or herself Perfect example also taking them to a fireworks party.

Maybe some have a little piece of their heart left so handing out brochures is a good idea.

There's a coating that can be applied to the bottom of the dogs feet to protect them from the hot surfaces. By looking at them, you cannot tell if it's been applied. So while these dogs are walking on the hot surface, they may have coated paws. The way you cannot tell if the service dog is real or not, you cannot tell if paws are coated either

Are you referring to paw protectors and other wax based products? I know these are popular products for ice and snow and to protect from salt in the winter, but the products are not recommended as a protector from 140 degree hot pavement. They are waxy and will just melt. Mushers use them and dog owners who live in icy regions use them, but down here in the deep south, the only true protector for canine feet against hot pavement is a bootie.

Last edited:
Are you referring to paw protectors and other wax based products? I know these are popular products for ice and snow and to protect from salt in the winter, but the products are not recommended as a protector from 140 degree hot pavement. They are waxy and will just melt. Mushers use them and dog owners who live in icy regions use them, but down here in the deep south, the only true protector for canine feet against hot pavement is a bootie.

Here is just one product, and yes it protects for ice and snow as well. You have to remember that there are service dogs who live in hot climates, not just those who go to Disney. Yes, same product you have mentioned. It is for hot pavement too.

https://www.chewy.com/mushers-secret-paw-protection/dp/128337?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Musher's Secret&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcQuuYLjMW_75vMTHiG4rKcuhZHo9WXaWyLr_3gf5LNE-MZACq2PoRhoCS1YQAvD_BwE

Here is just one product, and yes it protects for ice and snow as well. You have to remember that there are service dogs who live in hot climates, not just those who go to Disney. Yes, same product you have mentioned. It is for hot pavement too.

https://www.chewy.com/mushers-secret-paw-protection/dp/128337?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Musher's Secret&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcQuuYLjMW_75vMTHiG4rKcuhZHo9WXaWyLr_3gf5LNE-MZACq2PoRhoCS1YQAvD_BwE

I would be interested to find one that says it protects against hot pavement. I have yet to find one and would love to take my dogs for a walk...not in the heat, but even in the morning...and yet, the pavement warms up too fast. Could you please share a link for one that says it is for hot weather too? I can't find one. Thank youl.

So. There is no one way to identify a service dog. There is no requirement to do so. There is no reason for any of us to expect or even want anyone to spend more money on anything to make us happier or to make us believe a dog (or miniature horse) is a service animal.

The "little poof dogs" are just as much service dogs as other dogs. The tiniest teacup applehead chihuahua (if such a combo exists) can be JUST as much a service dog as the most service-dog-looking service dog ever born and trained.

Your issue is the feet. That's where you should focus your rant. It is insulting to anyone with a little dog that can detect blood sugar changes or an oncoming epileptic seizure, or who has been trained to *do a task* for the human-with-a-disability, when you talk about "little poof dogs".

What you COULD do is bring brochures about paw protectors with you, and sweetly kindly decently give them to people with service dogs that you're worried about.

Sigh.

If someone sits and tells you "this isn't a service dog, I just want my dog with me", then go find someone in authority.

If no one is saying that, then just assume the dog is a service dog and move on with your life after handing them the paw protector brochure.

I get what you're saying, but you know as well as I do that lots of people fake having a need so they can bring their pet with them. I just today saw a little "service dog" poop in a cart at Target. No true trained service animal would do that.

Last edited:

I would be interested to find one that says it protects against hot pavement. I have yet to find one and would love to take my dogs for a walk...not in the heat, but even in the morning...and yet, the pavement warms up too fast. Could you please share a link for one that says it is for hot weather too? I can't find one. Thank youl.
the link I shared does, did you not read it?Screenshot_20180701-220502_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is a product called paw wax that can be applied to the paw to protect against hot and cold pavement. So I bet since nearly every day at Disney the pavement is extremely hot. Just like the K9 that patrol they are probably using this product as well. Why would someone risk the health of a service dog. SO I can bet these folks are using this product.

....I found her actions a bit inconsiderate towards other diners (what if someone near her had an allergy or fear of dogs as it did bark a few times) I don't know what the laws regarding this is in the USA and if people somehow take advantage of them....

A bit inconsiderate?? You are much nicer than me! I'm not sitting next to that nonsense, I would have gathered my stuff and moved!

I would like to echo other posters who are wondering what the safety laws are!! I am also wondering why on earth staff would allow that?

Last year, we were having breakfast at Boma when a woman came in with a large stroller. I too assumed it must be a sleeping baby but 10 minutes into our meal, we heard loud barking. The way that Boma is designed, it caused a massive echo and the dog continued to bark non-stop for almost 15 minutes when the manager approached the woman. He had been looking at her for a while (assuming he was afraid to say something). I'm not sure what he said but she got up and left with the stroller & dog, while the rest of her family stayed. She didn't seem upset but it was definitely weird since most service dogs won't bark like that.

She had a vest of some sort on the dog... I think it was an emotional support dog possibly.

The is the same as the Ohana post, why on earth do people put up with that?? That echo must have been brutal!!!

I would not pay for a meal in a restaurant where a dog was barking for 15 minutes (is that reasonable or am I just a jerk). I am really surprised they let it go on, AKL is usually very good.

There is a product called paw wax that can be applied to the paw to protect against hot and cold pavement. So I bet since nearly every day at Disney the pavement is extremely hot. Just like the K9 that patrol they are probably using this product as well. Why would someone risk the health of a service dog. SO I can bet these folks are using this product.
Exactly. People live down here who own dogs, not just service dogs too. Yes, the police need to use it on their dogs too. Just because we aren't seeing booties, which makes the dog hotter, on the dog, doesn't mean they aren't protected.

I find it funny that the ad on the bottom of this thread (at least for me) is for how to register your pet as an “emotional support animal”, lol. So basically anyone can pay and have their pet “certified”, which is I’m sure what’s happening with the parks(it’s alrrady a problem on airlines).

theres not a whole lot that can be done quite honestly. thats why no one said anything to her. if no one complained they probably just let it lie with a tight grin.

I know this is an older post, but I just stumbled upon it.

I won't speak to the identification of service dogs vs non-service dogs, but I will speak about protecting dog's paws. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area, and each year we put a ban on dogs being out on our hiking trails (especially the paved ones) after the temperature reaches a certain point (exception service dogs with protected paws). We do this in order to keep paws from being burnt on the trail. This is announced on the news as a reminder to all (more specifically the hikers), alongside reminders to remember plenty of water, sun protection, etc. I believe this should be the standard in any place where temperatures create a ground hot enough to burn dogs' paws.

Not the park, but I read the rules regarding allowing your pet to stay with you in one of the pet-friendly Disney resorts. The rules state if your dog becomes a nuisance to other guests (i.e. barking) Disney holds the right to tell you your pet is no longer welcome, and you will need to find other accommodations for your pet at your expense. I hope the same for inside the parks, even if the pet is claimed to be an emotional support animal. It should not be a nuisance to other guests. Which is why only properly trained animals should be considered support animals. The potential is there for an incident, even if most support animals are well behaved.

Not the park, but I read the rules regarding allowing your pet to stay with you in one of the pet-friendly Disney resorts. The rules state if your dog becomes a nuisance to other guests (i.e. barking) Disney holds the right to tell you your pet is no longer welcome, and you will need to find other accommodations for your pet at your expense. I hope the same for inside the parks, even if the pet is claimed to be an emotional support animal. It should not be a nuisance to other guests. Which is why only properly trained animals should be considered support animals. The potential is there for an incident, even if most support animals are well behaved.

Emotional support animals are not allowed in the parks. Only Service animals.

Emotional support animals are not allowed in the parks. Only Service animals.

I got overhasty trying to direct what I was saying to those that consider their pets to be emotional support animals, and taking advantage as if they are trained service dogs (what the OP called fake service dogs) . But thank you for clarifying, and good to know that Disney does not allow emotional support animals!

Emotional Service Animals aren't allowed in public places if regular animals wouldn't be. That's not a Disney thing, that's a ESA thing. They're for allowing you to have access to a pet for your mental health at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!