Poly DVC expansion coming 2024!

I think (at the risk of oversimplifying it) that there are two broadly defined camps with regard to this very matter: those who factor resale value and "exit strategies" heavily when purchasing DVC, and those that don't. Like you, we fall into the latter category.

I've said it before: for me its like buying a car (daily driver, not a vanity or aspirational purchase, of which I may or may not have several, LOL). I buy it to drive it and get use out of it. I know it's depreciating the moment I drive it off the lot, and I know at some point its value will be zero. If, at some point, I decide to sell it and I get a few bucks for it, that's found money. Its value is in the service and functionality it provides, and the use/enjoyment I receive while owning it. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone actively tracking the Blue Book value of their car over its lifetime, in anticipation of selling it when it reaches some odometer reading or some age at which the numbers suggest its value is going to drop below some arbitrary point. "Sorry Honey, your Suburban has to go. Based on our exit strategy, it's depreciated to the point we need to sell it."
I am in the first category, resale value AND exit strategy. If I am going to pay today’s premiums on DVC, I want something back should I sell. There are plenty of cheap, worthless timeshares. DVC has thankfully held its value, but nothing is guaranteed.

I had been in the camp of not thinking I would buy into Riviera, partly because it's really not my style (I'm a Peter Dominick fan -- give me Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Californian, and Aulani in terms of style. Yes, I know he didn't design Aulani, but the designer studied under him), and I'm a big fan of immersing myself into feeling like I've escaped from hustle and bustle of regular life, which Riviera just doesn't do it for me.

Then the crazy incentives in 2020 came out, and I could combine incentives for CCV and RIV, and suddenly that low, low price point made adding on an option for us. Our primary reason is that we knew once the kids were up and grown, we would want a resort right by Epcot so that we could do Food & Wine and Festival of the Arts getaways, and much as we would have preferred Beach Club (we love the lazy river), we didn't want another resort that was expiring in 2042, especially given the price per point BCV is and was going for, but also because we want to have the resort into our retirement. (You know, provided I'm ever able to retire).

We also figure that there are people, like us, who buy certain home resorts explicitly for the 11 month advantage and generally intend to ONLY use it for that resort at 11 months, and so figured the resale value would hold up (which so far it seems to be). But I won't deny that the resale restrictions were originally one of the reasons we shied away. My only regret now is not buying a fixed week at RIV like we did at CCV, but at the time, I wanted smaller contracts to (1) pass along to the kids, and (2) be able to downsize without selling all our points if we need to in the future. (But I am admittedly a huge fan of having small point contracts. I have 36 contracts, and only 6 of them are over 100 points -- and that includes our 3 fixed weeks - 3 are 100 points, and the 27 of them are under 100 points each).

We stayed at Riviera for the first time in February of this past year, and I have to say that though it's not my "style" it IS a gorgeous resort, and we loved its small, compact size (even if the pool was just too small and boring), and we loved loved loved the Skyliner as a mode of transportation. We are definitely glad we bought into it.

I had been in the camp of not thinking I would buy into Riviera, partly because it's really not my style (I'm a Peter Dominick fan -- give me Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Californian, and Aulani in terms of style. Yes, I know he didn't design Aulani, but the designer studied under him), and I'm a big fan of immersing myself into feeling like I've escaped from hustle and bustle of regular life, which Riviera just doesn't do it for me.

Then the crazy incentives in 2020 came out, and I could combine incentives for CCV and RIV, and suddenly that low, low price point made adding on an option for us. Our primary reason is that we knew once the kids were up and grown, we would want a resort right by Epcot so that we could do Food & Wine and Festival of the Arts getaways, and much as we would have preferred Beach Club (we love the lazy river), we didn't want another resort that was expiring in 2042, especially given the price per point BCV is and was going for, but also because we want to have the resort into our retirement. (You know, provided I'm ever able to retire).

We also figure that there are people, like us, who buy certain home resorts explicitly for the 11 month advantage and generally intend to ONLY use it for that resort at 11 months, and so figured the resale value would hold up (which so far it seems to be). But I won't deny that the resale restrictions were originally one of the reasons we shied away. My only regret now is not buying a fixed week at RIV like we did at CCV, but at the time, I wanted smaller contracts to (1) pass along to the kids, and (2) be able to downsize without selling all our points if we need to in the future. (But I am admittedly a huge fan of having small point contracts. I have 36 contracts, and only 6 of them are over 100 points -- and that includes our 3 fixed weeks - 3 are 100 points, and the 27 of them are under 100 points each).

We stayed at Riviera for the first time in February of this past year, and I have to say that though it's not my "style" it IS a gorgeous resort, and we loved its small, compact size (even if the pool was just too small and boring), and we loved loved loved the Skyliner as a mode of transportation. We are definitely glad we bought into it.
You have 36 contracts? Please tell me they're all the same use year!! I don't feel so bad now with my 5 contracts across 4 resorts (RIV, PVB, AKL, VGC.) We bought into the Riviera the minute sales opened for existing members... we were convinced by the skyline access. No regrets at all - love the resort.

You have 36 contracts? Please tell me they're all the same use year!! I don't feel so bad now with my 5 contracts across 4 resorts (RIV, PVB, AKL, VGC.) We bought into the Riviera the minute sales opened for existing members... we were convinced by the skyline access. No regrets at all - love the resort.
34 of them are the same UY (Sep), but 2 of them are in OCT. Those 2 in OCT are my VGC unicorn contracts (a 27 and 35 point contract that I got in 2020 for $195pp, and while I would have preferred a SEP UY as well, I wasn't going to pass up those unicorns. As I generally use VGC just for VGC, I'm (mostly) fine with them being in a separate UY.

I did debate if I shouldn't have a FEB,MAR, or APR UY just to cover May to Aug when we do go during that timeframe, but decided just having all my points in one UY to make it easy to combine was a better idea.

34 of them are the same UY (Sep), but 2 of them are in OCT. Those 2 in OCT are my VGC unicorn contracts (a 27 and 35 point contract that I got in 2020 for $195pp, and while I would have preferred a SEP UY as well, I wasn't going to pass up those unicorns. As I generally use VGC just for VGC, I'm (mostly) fine with them being in a separate UY.

I did debate if I shouldn't have a FEB,MAR, or APR UY just to cover May to Aug when we do go during that timeframe, but decided just having all my points in one UY to make it easy to combine was a better idea.
Wow, $195 pp at VGC... and for small contracts. I bet that would be next to impossible to find now. But maybe the prices there will lower some when buyers have VDH as an option.

Wow, $195 pp at VGC... and for small contracts.
Right?? When I saw them, I had to immediately call to place an offer on them. That was crazy low, even for 2020, and especially for small point contracts that were NOT stripped.

But maybe the prices there will lower some when buyers have VDH as an option.
Well, selfishly, I hope resale prices stay high, if and when I ever sell. Though I wouldn't mind being able to swap to a SEP UY someday. :)

I was originally considering buying into both VDH and the new PVB, but the current state of the market/my investments (and more importantly, the state of my children's college savings funds), likely means I won't -- unless the intro offers are a price point too good to pass up.

Right?? When I saw them, I had to immediately call to place an offer on them. That was crazy low, even for 2020, and especially for small point contracts that were NOT stripped.

Well, selfishly, I hope resale prices stay high, if and when I ever sell. Though I wouldn't mind being able to swap to a SEP UY someday. :)

I was originally considering buying into both VDH and the new PVB, but the current state of the market/my investments (and more importantly, the state of my children's college savings funds), likely means I won't -- unless the intro offers are a price point too good to pass up.
I want about 65-75 pts in a Sep UY. My WDW UY is October but I want Sep because that's when we like to go to DL every other year or so. Low crowds, nice whether, and the start of Oogie Boogie Bash. But I would probably take any UY at that price point!

Will likely buy VDH if it's less expensive than VGC

I want about 65-75 pts in a Sep UY. My WDW UY is October but I want Sep because that's when we like to go to DL every other year or so. Low crowds, nice whether, and the start of Oogie Boogie Bash. But I would probably take any UY at that price point!

Will likely buy VDH if it's less expensive than VGC
That's one of the reasons I wanted Sep UY there as well -- Oogie Boogie Bash is our favorite DL Party, and we actually love it more than MNSSHP. So having an OCT UY means we either go into Oct instead (which is more points), or we take a risk with going in September.

Sept UY is the best!! Congrats on that new total of points( saw your post on that other thread).

Are the lake view studios going to be blocked by construction? Wondering if it would just be best to avoid Poly until this is complete. Wife and I wanted to try and stay in May but worried it would be a pain in the *** with construction noise and obstruction

Are the lake view studios going to be blocked by construction? Wondering if it would just be best to avoid Poly until this is complete. Wife and I wanted to try and stay in May but worried it would be a pain in the *** with construction noise and obstruction

You need to look at a map. The DVC Poly buildings, the lake view one in particular, are nowhere near the construction site, which is already blocked off and in swing.

I agree Poly is a construction mess, but that's on the other side of the property, which is a long way from the Poly DVC. I don't see it mattering unless you wanted to walk to GF. Or, if they start messing with the road and the parking lots, which may be part of the plan at some point. It's nowhere near the view of the lake view units.

Does anyone know how many pools they are building at the Poly Tower? Will there be an Adult pool as well?

Does anyone know how many pools they are building at the Poly Tower? Will there be an Adult pool as well?

As far as we know (not really changed since first post in the thread) it'll be a zero-entry pool nestled between the new tower and the three neighbouring Polynesian Resort (cash) longhouses.

The current Lake View Studios are on the eastern-part of the property, closest to the Ticket Transportation Center. The construction is on the western-part of the property, closest to VGF. You won't notice a thing unless you walk beyond the GCH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter