Poly or Contemporary?

Nik's Mom

DIS Veteran
Hello,
With all of the complaints about WL transportation, we are considering trying another resort this time. We may be with a large group (15-20 people) and want to make sure that transportation is as easy as possible. Can anyone tell me which would be the best hotel between Poly and Contemp? What are some of the benefits of each hotel? Can anyone give me tips on these hotels? Which did you find more pleasurable to stay at? How was the monorail to Epcot and MK?
Whatever information anyone has on these hotels will be appreciated. Are they as beautiful as WL?

Thanks!

I know you'll hear from lots of Poly lovers. I'd like to put a good word in for the Contemporary. I love it there. I've stayed at both, and I prefer Contemporary. The monorail going through the building is very cool, and the views from the Tower are spectacular. You can also walk to the Magic Kingdom from the Cont. It's kind of futuristic, and some people don't like that. It's not obviously "themed," but that doesn't matter to me. I always feel as if I'm right in the middle of all the Disney excitement when I'm at the Cont. The Poly is definitely more themed, if that's important to you. The Contemporary has a great arcade for the kids, and it's got a snack bar. It's very convenient to get to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot via monorail, and you'll take a bus to MGM and Animal Kingdom. That would be pretty much the same at both Poly and Cont. I hope you enjoy wherever you choose to stay!

WilmaBud,
How long does the monorail take to get from the Contemporary to Epcot? Do I have to transfer at the TTC? I like the idea that I can walk to MK. How is their food court?

Originally posted by Nik's Mom
...Are they as beautiful as WL?...

Poly...yes, at least as beautiful

Cont...no

You can walk to MK from the Contemporary but the monorail is SOOOO easy and fast. It takes at most 5 minutes to get to MK from Polynesian via monorail. That even include a stop at GF.

If transportation is the MAJOR issue for you then yes the Cont is slightly better than Poly in that regard. But they're both light years better when compared to any "bus only" resort.

As for getting to Epcot:
From Contemporary, it's one stop on the monorail and then transfer at TTC.
From Poly, you can walk to the TTC in two minutes.

And as for theming and atmosphere the Poly cannot be beat! And yes, I am biased! :p

I personally like the poly, but in your case I would think transportation and room availability would be more helpful to your group at the contemporary. They have those extra wing rooms for the more budget oriented folks too.

You do have to transfer at the ttc to get to epcot but for the life of me I cant remember if you have to walk around or just walk right over to the next monorail.

Check out the menu's online for the food courts.

I personally would choose the Polynesian for a number of reasons. First, I think the transportation is about equal from the Contemporary and Polynesian. You can walk from the Polynesian to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot and you can get on the monorail to the MK at the hotel (or take the boat). Plus, I think that the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian all share busses now... so the bus transportation will be the same... I personally find the theming in the Contemporary to be a little cold. There also tend to be quite a few conventioneers at the Contemporary. I personally think the theming at the Polynesian is fantastic! It really feels like the south pacific! From the Tiki Torches at night to the Volcano pool... I think that it's much more of an escape than the Contemporary. The Contemporary to me feels like any other hotel in any other city. So, I would choose the Polynesian.

You do have to transfer at the TTC to get to Epcot (from both the Poly and Cont.). You just have to walk right over to the next monorail. The food court is more like a convenience store, I would say. Also, while I agree that the grounds of the Poly are beautiful, the Cont. is not "just like any other hotel in any other city." It's a very unique design, and as I said before, the monorail going through it it really neat. I'm biased, too, because I didn't care the the rooms at the Poly at all. They're too dark for my taste, and it definitely smelled funky where we were (I was in the concierge building). I like more light and brightness. It's all just a matter of personal preference. Just weigh the things that are important to you. Again, I hope you're pleased with whatever you choose. Let us know how it works out!

I prefer the Contemporary and while I can't say whether it is the best choice for you, I will share some things I enjoyed about both to help you in your decision.

The Contemporary is large, busy and convenient to the MK and Epcot. The TTC is the first stop on the monorail coming from the CR, quickly followed by the Poly, the GF and then MK. Therefore you are the first stop from the MK and you have the ability to walk as well.

There are lots of restaurant choices in the CR: California Grill on teh 15th floor, Concourse Steakhouse and Chef Mickey's (character meals) on the 4th floor (I think?) and finally there is a fast food place on the first floor near the arcade.

The Poly has two good restaurants (on the 2nd floor) and a fast food place (on the 1st floor) contained within the Great Ceremonial House. There's also an arcade in a separate building near the Neverland Club (childcare).

One point of interest is that it rained (of course!) at both resorts when we stayed at each. Altho' our building at the Poly (Rarotonga) was right next to the GCH where the monorail station is (so we didn't have to go out into the rain very much), most buildings are spread out all over and there's no cover.
At the Contemporary of course if you're in the main tower you won't ever have to go outside for transportation (until you get to the parks!) and even in the North Wing (where we stayed) there was a covered walkway to the main building.

The pools were both large and had slides. The CR's is more square (and boring some might say, but not me!). The Poly has the volcano and the zero entry going for it. There's also the beach (tho' not for swimming!), good for watching the fireworks and the EWP.

The Poly is very lush and tropical (and does smell funky but not in a bad way LOL) and normally I would like that sort of thing but the Contemporary stole my heart in a big way the first time (only time!) we stayed there. I've read that you either hate it or love it. I guess I'm glad I came away a lover not a hater!!

Enjoy the planning process!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter