Poly vs AKL

Poly. Same reasons as the above poster including the feeling of being in the middle of the magic, seeing the castle from the pool and the lake, the tiki torches lit at night around the resort are beautiful.

Poly is more expensive for standard rooms. Even pool view at AK is a couple hundred cheaper than Poly. I love both resorts though. They are two of my favorites.

While I'm a big fan of the Poly, in this case I'd pick AKL. There is something really magical about being able to look out your balcony and see exotic animals right there! Hours of entertainment.

Another vote for Poly for all the reasons mentioned above. We've stayed at both and while I do love AKL, the Poly is my favorite overall. It's hard to beat the relaxing tropical atmosphere with a distant view of the castle across the lagoon :cloud9:.

I've stayed at both and you can go wrong with either BUT with kids, I'd go Poly for easy access to MK and EP.

I'd choose Poly for all the reasons already listed. We were supposed to be there this past week, and there's no availability for our rescheduled dates so we're going to AKL instead. It did end up being significantly cheaper even with an upgraded dining plan, but I'm not sure yet if being so far from the parks is worth it. Guess I'll find out!

I have stayed at AKL. It is an amazing resort. IMO it is Disney's best themed resort. The lobby is stunning... More impressive than Poly. However, I love the MK area and being on the monorail is surely better than busing everywhere. The big factor is price. Poly rooms can be at least $200+ more PER NIGHT than AKL. If price is no issue, then Poly wins for convenience. Price is a deal breaker for many however as Poly is usually the most expensive resort, often surpassing GF in price.

We have stayed at both and enjoyed both. Poly is my favourite (and also my DVC home so I am a bit biased). The rooms are bigger, transportation is much more convenient, and it is just a beautiful resort overall.

AKL obviously has the animals, great dining choices, and lots of activities for the kids. I know a lot of people enjoy the interior hallways, but they go on forever at AKL and I actually prefer walking around the lush grounds of Poly to get to my room building.

Overall I am happy at AKL, especially if trying to save some money. But there is something about the Poly that I just really love.

Poly. I agree with what everyone else said and would like to add the electrical water pageant and more choices for breakfasts at the other MK resorts which are easy to get to from there.

If price is no issue go with Poly. Access to MK is the key there and you get monorail or boat. Good dining options and great theme. Only poor thing at poly is having the sinks, toilet and shower in one room versus sink outside. AK is themed great and has great dining also. Downside is it takes a while to get everywhere except animal kingdom. If price is an issue AK will win hands down as Poly pricing is out of control.

I'd choose Poly for all the reasons already listed. We were supposed to be there this past week, and there's no availability for our rescheduled dates so we're going to AKL instead. It did end up being significantly cheaper even with an upgraded dining plan, but I'm not sure yet if being so far from the parks is worth it. Guess I'll find out!
Thanks! We have stayed at AKL before and it was AMAZING! We are thinking the Poly for a new experience but I promise you will not be miss disappointed with AKL. We had a standard room with partial savannah view and the memories will last forever !!

Both beautiful resorts. I have stayed at both many times. I love the Polynesian first and foremost because you can see Cinderellas Castle! You can watch HEA fireworks from there or take a beautiful walk over to the Grand and enjoy all there is to see there as well. I wouldn't choose the Polynesian because of the Monorail and transportation because to us its the one downfall. The bus system at Animal Kingdom is great! The Polynesian gets so busy because people not staying there love to visit. It gets ridiculous at the end of the night at MK for a boat or the Monorail that we end up spending extra money on Minnie Vans to avoid all that. Animal Kingdom is a more relaxed atmosphere for the kids for our family but any resort at DW is fantastic.

I can't believe I'm actually recommending Poly for you. But the proximity to the MK can't be beat, compared to AKL, and I think that would be most important for your kids ages. For adults, I'd recommend AKL. I could sit on the balcony watching the animals all day.

I can't believe I'm actually recommending Poly for you. But the proximity to the MK can't be beat, compared to AKL, and I think that would be most important for your kids ages. For adults, I'd recommend AKL. I could sit on the balcony watching the animals all day.
That sounds like you know something about the POLy I don’t ... :( anything bad ?

That sounds like you know something about the POLy I don’t ... :( anything bad ?
I think it means that Simba's Mom REALLY likes AKL and would prefer it to Poly herself, but is recommending Poly to you for your situation (if I am reading it correctly). Both resorts are great and are actually our home resorts with DVC. Poly is our favorite resort on property, with the biggest con for us with AK being transportation as others have mentioned. AKL IS amazingly beautiful!

Edited to add: the room renovations on the hotel side of AKL are really gorgeous while the Poly rooms are due for a reno and may be a bit tired depending on which room you get or who you ask. Just another thing to think about. We really do love both though

I think it means that Simba's Mom REALLY likes AKL and would prefer it to Poly herself, but is recommending Poly to you for your situation (if I am reading it correctly). Both resorts are great and are actually our home resorts with DVC. Poly is our favorite resort on property, with the biggest con for us with AK being transportation as others have mentioned. AKL IS amazingly beautiful!

Edited to add: the room renovations on the hotel side of AKL are really gorgeous while the Poly rooms are due for a reno and may be a bit tired depending on which room you get or who you ask. Just another thing to think about. We really do love both though

We have stayed at AKL and adore it ! For many reasons. We just want something different , and a MK resort has always been a bucket list for me personally! The husband just threw me a curveball and says, what about GF??!!?? Now I do not know , GF or POLY!!!

I love both resorts! You could split stay and enjoy both resorts if you don't mind moving (Disney makes it easy). That's what I would do.

But if you want to stay at one... if price isn't an issue, I'd pick Poly because as others have said, it gives easy access to MK and Epcot (as long as the monorail is working), you can walk to GF for more dining options, and the view of the castle gives it a magical feel.

However, AKL is really magical in its own way with the animals. The themeing is amazing, the CM cultural representatives are great, incredible dining options, and lots of free activities throughout the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter