Polynesian Culture Center

ebonyeyes

Mouseketeer
Ok...so this is the ONE thing I am undecided on for our upcoming trip. I have visited the website and don't know if it would be enough to hold my families attention. I welcome any input regarding your experience or thoughts on PCC. TIA

@ebonyeyes I think it depends on what your kids like to do and how long you are going to be in Hawaii.

For example, if you are only going to be on Oahu for 4 or 5 nights and you have kids who love the outdoors and want to swim, surf, hike etc I would personally say there things I would do first before the PCC.

If you have over a week and are trying to fill a schedule up then maybe it is for you. I have been twice. Once when I was 10 years old and in all honesty, it was a highlight for me then but I was a geeky kid.
I also went about 25 years ago and it was fun, the luau is ok but it isnt very intimate like some can be. PCC is located in a scenic area up in Laie, kind of the North East of the island.

The canoe ride is kind of cool, the hands on demonstrations are fun but I have yet to take my own family there and we have been to Oahu quite a few times with our kids. It just seems to take up so much vacation time and it is pricey.

PCC is also run by Brigham Young University and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You may already know this and I dont know if that would play a role in your choice but sometimes people are surprised to find this out.

There are a couple of great TRs that include candid shots and descriptions of peoples experiences over on the DVC TR section. Here are a couple of links to give you a better idea of what to expect at PCC

This trip report is from member @Chellymouse and starts on post #48

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...aiian-adventures.3453626/page-3#post-54660463

This one is from member @Dugette and begins at the bottom of post #136 and continues in posts #156, #177 and #126 She mentions they had a BOGO coupon from the Entertainment Book and they did not do the Luau.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...inal-update-and-link-to-new-tr.3357724/page-7

It has always been one of our kids favorites since they were little, and plenty of activities to keep them busy--ukulele lessons, fire building, Polynesian kid games, a scavenger hunt, canoe rides, catch and release fishing, etc. HOWEVER, it is a long drive to get there. My recommendation is make it part of a North Shore day if you are heading that way anyway. Last time, we did the Shark Cage dive in Haleiwa, had lunch there, and then hit the PCC for the afternoon, and finished with dinner on the Windward side in Kaneohe. Made for a fun (but long) day.

I agree with @alohamom. It depends upon your kids. Do they like doing crafts and seeing demonstrations? Do they like learning about other cultures? If you are considering the luau, are they picky eaters? Would you be disappointed to not have a mai tai at the luau? Mormons don’t drink alcohol. We also saw the stage show, Ha, Breath of Life. I think doing all of this was just too much for our son, who was 7 at the time. We liked it but decided once was enough for our family. My husband and I would like to go back without our son and see more of the cultural exhibits though.

Following... we will be in Waikiki for a week followed by a week at Aulani in August. I originally planned a day at the PCC, but the more I researched I wasn’t sure if it would work for my kids, who will be 11 and 8. It’s a long drive and from what I read you need all afternoon there to get the most of it. It will be pricey for a family of 4, and we’re leaning toward skipping it. I feel there are a lot of other things we can see/do for much less $$ and still have fun.

Following... we will be in Waikiki for a week followed by a week at Aulani in August. I originally planned a day at the PCC, but the more I researched I wasn’t sure if it would work for my kids, who will be 11 and 8. It’s a long drive and from what I read you need all afternoon there to get the most of it. It will be pricey for a family of 4, and we’re leaning toward skipping it. I feel there are a lot of other things we can see/do for much less $$ and still have fun.

Kind of where we are with it. The kids don't seem to be too enthused about it. It is penciled in for us at this point. Thinking the hubby and I will explore on an adult only trip if we skip it this time. Have fun!!!!

Have been to PCC a lot and it every time I go. Don't miss the Mai Tais at dinner :) That said if your kiddos are not enthused about going I would skip it. The hands on demonstrations are a lot of fun to watch and participate in - but it has to be your thing and it isn't everyones. Also it can be brutally hot and sunny if you are not used to such a thing. As many times as we gone I always get a package with a tour guide because you get preferred seating at a lot of the demonstrations and usually in the shade. We didn't go the last time we were there but probably will again in the future.

Is coffee or tea served at PCC? I believe that some LDS also abstain from those beverages as well as alcohol.

-Paul

the EPCOT of the South Pacific! we loved it when we went. it had a really nice vibe/atmosphere and was definitely edu-tainment. I'd recommend.

Is coffee or tea served at PCC? I believe that some LDS also abstain from those beverages as well as alcohol.

-Paul
Not sure. But I suspect the demand for hot beverages in a tropical outdoor environment is pretty low.

the EPCOT of the South Pacific! we loved it when we went. it had a really nice vibe/atmosphere and was definitely edu-tainment. I'd recommend.
This is exactly what I thought of it.

PCC can definitely be expensive, especially if it isn't everyone's favorite. We saved a little bit of money by doing the Go Oahu Card. General admission to the PCC is included or if you get a 3 day pass or longer, you can choose the luau as your premium activity. So if you think it's going to be a good fit for the family and you want to save some money, you might look into it.

I think the PCC is wonderful! I would actually want to spend more than 1 day. I did not find the Laua amazing (limited food and took up village time). But the night show was amazing!! I highly recommend watching ha breath of life if you can. The canoe parade was great too.

So the PCC doesn't serve alcohol? Didn't know it was owned by a church. Is there any religious overlay?

So the PCC doesn't serve alcohol? Didn't know it was owned by a church. Is there any religious overlay?
Not overtly. All of the employees go to Brigham Young University of Hawaii nearby, and there are many missionaries there as part of the LDS church. The PCC itself isn't religious, but they do offer tram tours of the university.

Here's what I was slightly uncomfortable with- they advertise the tram tours as a 'tour of the local university and nearby town of Laie' but what they do is bus you over to the welcome center of the university, drop you off, and leave you surrounded by a lot of bright young college kids who are very interested in talking to you about their faith. The welcome center is more of a walk through of the LDS beliefs than anything else.

I want to emphasize that I have nothing against the LDS church or those who belong to it, and I had nothing but great experiences talking to the college students and employees on the tour. But as someone who is strong in their own faith and who thought that I was going to learn about the town and university (not just the LDS church), I was disappointed and felt misled.

I also want to emphasize that this in no way detracted from the awesome time that I had at the PCC. So as long as you're aware and ask questions about what's involved, you can avoid anything you might not want to experience.

Our visit was a highlight of our trip in December. We booked an excursion (bus tour in the morning and arrived at centre at around 1pm). We booked a private tour guide package and it was worth every penny. We paid for the upgrade buffet (which was just ok for me but the crab legs were a great treat). We loved the shows and stayed till the park closed. It was amazing and we didn't even see half of it. For our next day we will plan at least 2 full days to enjoy it all. The staff and guides were awesome and the shows were amazing. We would definitely do the private tour package again but add a day to explore on our own so we can see it all. This is a must-do for our family and we can't wait to go back!

Not overtly. All of the employees go to Brigham Young University of Hawaii nearby, and there are many missionaries there as part of the LDS church. The PCC itself isn't religious, but they do offer tram tours of the university.

Here's what I was slightly uncomfortable with- they advertise the tram tours as a 'tour of the local university and nearby town of Laie' but what they do is bus you over to the welcome center of the university, drop you off, and leave you surrounded by a lot of bright young college kids who are very interested in talking to you about their faith. The welcome center is more of a walk through of the LDS beliefs than anything else.

I want to emphasize that I have nothing against the LDS church or those who belong to it, and I had nothing but great experiences talking to the college students and employees on the tour. But as someone who is strong in their own faith and who thought that I was going to learn about the town and university (not just the LDS church), I was disappointed and felt misled.

I also want to emphasize that this in no way detracted from the awesome time that I had at the PCC. So as long as you're aware and ask questions about what's involved, you can avoid anything you might not want to experience.

Bottom line - don't take the free tram tour.

PCC doesn't serve alcohol. Do they make virgin drinks?
They have something in a pineapple for $10. Did not overhear if anyone liked it. There was a carafe of something awful on the table (crystal light? Hideous fruit punch? I have blocked it out.) Some people had water on their table, but we couldn't find a server except once I tracked one down and begged for water (they never brought it), and I tracked down a table with pre-poured "coke" (Pepsi or generic? Flat with no ice so it was hot, a.k.a. undrinkable). The drinks or lack thereof will be the least of your dining worries there, however

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter