Pop Century Room Renovations

That’s why I was confused. I saw my post in her response so I knew she was replying to my message.

Me too, so I was confused, but figure it doesn't matter either way. I'll just quote and reply and hopefully it all works! I'm flexible :)

Any chance someone knows the name / style of mattress used in the refurbed rooms? They were so comfy! Better than AKL, WL and POLY. I've tried to Google and search this thread but I no luck.

Just got back from a week stay at POP. We were in the 80’s, 4th floor, room 7451, non-connecting, with a queen bed. At first I was excited because we got a refurbished room. But once we got in there, not so much.

Looks like we got an accessible room, which would be fine. Except that it translated to zero storage in the bathroom – one thing I was looking forward too. We just had the sink counter top to put our stuff. No shelves or cubbies. Also, I was excited about the lighted makeup mirror – I get why it was mounted so low, but it made it really hard to use. I had to crouch down to see into it. And it was just one big open space – meaning if one person had to use the toilet, the other couldn’t be at the sink getting ready (a minor annoyance, but it did slow us down in the morning). Not the end of the world, but kind of a letdown. And we didn’t need an accessible room.

The floors were noticeably dirty. And the fan in the bathroom was out of control. There was no switch to turn it on or off. Plus, it was loud.

Housekeeping was the worst I’ve ever experienced at Disney. We never seemed to get many towels. And more than once we got no cups, no bag for ice, and zero refills on coffee pods. We went to the front desk one night to get more coffee pods. But then sure enough, no refills in the room the next day! We found multiple stains on the sheets, too. Really noticeable that things have gone down hill from our past stays.

Noise was a problem. We were awakened two nights by people outside after midnight screaming. One time it seemed like there were three separate waves of large groups going by and all of them screaming. Another morning we were woken up at 5AM by screaming from an adjacent room. Our last morning there was lots of noise along the corridors outside our room.

And forget room service. We got back to our room about 7 and then spent a half hour on the phone trying to order food. Finally we got an order through. I figured I would shower and change and then the food would be about ready. They told us it would be there within 90 minutes. Over two hours later we were still waiting. We spent another twenty minutes calling, getting transferred, getting disconnected. When we finally reached someone, they had no idea where our food was or what had happened. So not only did we stay up much later than we normally do waiting on the food, but we ended up going to bed with no dinner after all that. We never do room service and the one time we try, it ended badly.

I’ve stayed at POP a bunch of times and always enjoyed it. I was looking forward to returning. But now, I don’t know that I’d go back again. Our week was pretty great otherwise, but the hotel was a big letdown.

And forget room service. We got back to our room about 7 and then spent a half hour on the phone trying to order food. Finally we got an order through. I figured I would shower and change and then the food would be about ready. They told us it would be there within 90 minutes. Over two hours later we were still waiting. We spent another twenty minutes calling, getting transferred, getting disconnected. When we finally reached someone, they had no idea where our food was or what had happened. So not only did we stay up much later than we normally do waiting on the food, but we ended up going to bed with no dinner after all that. We never do room service and the one time we try, it ended badly.

There is room service at POP? I thought the only room service in the values was a pizza delivery...

Did you ever call to have towels delivered?

There is room service at POP? I thought the only room service in the values was a pizza delivery...

Yes. Not a huge menu but certainly a nice enough one. This plus the pizza ...

Pop-Century-Renovated-Room-063.jpg

We didn’t call and got by with what we had. It just felt like we were being given the bare minimum to get by.

fitgirlFL, you should consider letting Disney know about your experiences. Except the noise/screaming, which you would have had to report, everything you relate is well within their scope.

They actually emailed me a survey and I did make note of everything. I am considering following up with a letter. I was just so surprised given I’ve had other enjoyable stays here.

We arrive March 1, head to a cruise on March 5 - so just three park days. We are going to pack as much in as we can!
We were gonna do two base tickets and dah but we switched it to 3 day park hoppers and dah lol. We couldn’t resist. So before we would’ve only done ak and mk but now we will do all four parks.

If anyone is there right now and has the time, can you please provide the status of the following:

1. Building 5. Is it still closed, partially closed or fully open?

2. Building 4. We had one report that it was completely closed. Can you please advise if this is the case?

Thanks! We will update Post 2 as soon as we have this information.

We are here right now and staying in building 4 in a preffefed pool view room so it isn’t fully closed. It does look like they are working on part of the building..

Building 5 looks completely closed, not 100% sure though.. we have noticed workers all over..

We are here right now and staying in building 4 in a preffefed pool view room so it isn’t fully closed. It does look like they are working on part of the building..

Building 5 looks completely closed, not 100% sure though.. we have noticed workers all over..

Thank you - I would have been surprised if they had closed all of building 4.

The rooms in Building 5 that were the closest to be ready to open were those right by the Food Court ... if they are still closed, sounds like they want to open rooms in bulk.

Have a great trip!

So, last week I booked Pop for mid July (15-22) so my 12yo ds and I could be there when my 16yo dd is at WDW with a performing group.

I had no idea about the construction and booked w/ the summer QS deal (1 free QS meal/night). The only option was for Standard Pool View.

Now I'm hoping that construction will be done by then since 50's appears to be the last to be scheduled and I would really like to stay there. :-(

I really didn't want to obsess about this for the next 150 days!

So, last week I booked Pop for mid July (15-22) so my 12yo ds and I could be there when my 16yo dd is at WDW with a performing group.

I had no idea about the construction and booked w/ the summer QS deal (1 free QS meal/night). The only option was for Standard Pool View.

Now I'm hoping that construction will be done by then since 50's appears to be the last to be scheduled and I would really like to stay there. :-(

There are two sets of buildings with Standard Pool View - unless by stay there you mean in the 50's section.

I had a standard pool view room in the 80’s that was a new room. It wasn’t a bad walk to transportation and I really like the new rooms. It doesn’t make for a bad second choice.

If this is really important to you, I'd prepare myself the the 50's not being done by then. A portion of it may be completed but if so, another section (or 2) of it will be under refurbishment is my guess based on historical dates.

Page 1, post 2 lists all of the refurbishment history. It took 10 months for the first half of the resort to be completed and the second half was started in December. Unless things change drastically (which I can't see happening), it will probably be sometime between August and October before the entire refurbishments are complete.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter