Port or Starboard Cabin Location?

Poly Pal

DIS Veteran
We're planning to sail the 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary. We're considering Cat 5 or 6 w/ verandah. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to your cabin being located on the port or starboard side?

Also, I'm thinking a location near the mid-ship elevators would be good rather than further foward or further aft. Any advice?

This is a very personal decision, based on a person's likes and dislikes. What may be the perfect spot for one family would be terrible for another. I'll toss in my opinion, and I'm sure you'll hear from others too.
Personally, I would not want to be by the midship elevators because they are the most crowded. My favorite spot on the ship is aft...the farther aft you go, the less hallway noise there will be, and the aft elevators are rarely crowded. I don't have a port or starboard preference, but my hubby loves starboard due to the view at CC when the ship backs in. My favorite stateroom, 5650, is on the starboard side, so that keeps marital harmony. :D
Forward is not bad either...we also do the secret porthole rooms, and the elevators there are generally not too crowded either. Also, forward is convenient to the nightclubs, kiddie pools, etc.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We had room 6070 on the port side in Mar. 2003. It was great being in the middle of the ship especially when the seas were a bit rough the first two days. I never had any problem with noise even though we were so close to the elevators. (and I'm a light sleeper very bothered by noise) We did bring a "white noise " machine that was indispensable. Maybe that's why I heard no noise!! ANyway, I wish we had picked the starboard side instead of port. I wanted to be able to see Castaway Cay from the verandah in the morning and when we pulled out. I had to make a trip to secret deck aft 7 instead. So I'd pick starboard next time.

I also like the starboard side. We did the Eastern back in 2001 and enjoyed watching the sailaway from the verandah. The views of Castaway Cay and St. Martin were also very nice on the starboard side.

We are scheduled for the May 10 western and we have a starboard side room again. But when it comes right down to it, just being on the ship is the real treat.

Ken

Just to throw in a plug for the other side. . .we were on the port side on our Western cruise last November and that was the side that all the activity was on - enjoyed watching people coming and going from the ship at all the ports except Grand Cayman where we had a view of the island. Also the pilot boats pulled up just below us and that was fun to watch as well. The only thing I would have wanted to see was the coast of FL as we sailed south - which would have been on the starboard side. I think the only answer to this dilemma is to try both! :teeth:

Karyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter