Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I am really disappointed with the schedule for our dates. They don't have the non-stop flights I had been looking at and the prices are a little higher. I might hold out for a few days to see if anything changes. Our departure date is the big concern, there was a 12:00 pm (or around there) non-stop flight I was hoping for that isn't on there like it had been in May. I guess maybe this is their summer schedule.

I am really disappointed with the schedule for our dates. They don't have the non-stop flights I had been looking at and the prices are a little higher. I might hold out for a few days to see if anything changes. Our departure date is the big concern, there was a 12:00 pm (or around there) non-stop flight I was hoping for that isn't on there like it had been in May. I guess maybe this is their summer schedule.

Do you mind me asking if you are from a big or small metropolitan area? Our area actually had several direct flight options, more so than the previous week's flights - not a small airport, but not huge.

Last edited:
We were disappointed too in prices, times, and lack of direct flights. Usually we have more direct flights to choose from from BDL to MCO in July, but not this time! :( We will have to get up at 2am to catch our flight, but heh seen worse and we are going to Disney!pixiedust:

Do you mind me asking if you are from a big or small metropolitan area? Our area actually had several direct flight options, more so than the previous week's flights - not a small airport, but not huge.

I am in SW Va, near Roanoke, but flying out of RDU. It is worth the drive and even spending the night to fly SW from there compared to flying out of Roanoke.

Huh.....

Anybody else getting this strange error message today on Southwest.com?

upload_2017-11-2_12-16-8.png

I also couldn't seem to get any rate listings for the month of July 2018 thru Aug. 6, 2018

upload_2017-11-2_12-18-33.png

Then, I tried again and got this:
upload_2017-11-2_12-20-50.png

upload_2017-11-2_12-21-27.png

Then it went back to the no rates listed again. Are they glitching because of the new date releases???

They have taken down anything past the June 5th date now. ClanHarrison, I will have to check BWI if RDU doesn't have exactly what I am looking for. Those $70.00 flights look nice!

so I am losing $103 in airfare credit that needs to be used by Jan. 5. They won;t let me rebook with the old credits and use new credits for a future flight. She said it would all have an Jan. 5 expiration date anyway. I cannot transfer them either. I am really bummed. Too bad I cannot use it for early bird check in.

If you get the Sold Out message, it will often change just by refreshing your screen.

so I am losing $103 in airfare credit that needs to be used by Jan. 5. They won;t let me rebook with the old credits and use new credits for a future flight. She said it would all have an Jan. 5 expiration date anyway. I cannot transfer them either. I am really bummed. Too bad I cannot use it for early bird check in.
Travel funds expire within 1 year of original purchase date of the airline ticket. It doesn't matter if you've rebooked multiple times to get a lower rate because your time period to use them is always from 1 year of original purchase date of the ticket..that's the date you have to keep in mind rather than thinking about it from the date you rebooked at the lower rate.

That's one thing that is frustrating. If you pay even a small portion of ticket with an old credit the expiration date for the entire ticket is the expiration date of the oldest credit. I also wish they would just group all the credits together. I recently rolled over a bunch of little credits into three different tickets to combine them. It took a little effort but well worth it to make sure I can use all the credits before they expire.

If you pay even a small portion of ticket with an old credit the expiration date for the entire ticket is the expiration date of the oldest credit.
It's from when you originally purchased your plane ticket. It doesn't have to do with how old your oldest credit is. At least they give you credits back rather than you just eating the cost of paying a higher plane ticket.

I also wish they would just group all the credits together.
Again they are based off of when you purchased your original plane ticket. If they grouped them all together they would have to change their policy on expiration dates. The way they do it now with the confirmation numbers is how they keep track of your credits. Grouping them together would only work for those who travel one time in a 365 day period from the date of their original purchase of the plane ticket. If you fly more than that and have travel funds from more than one flight then grouping them together wouldn't work under the current policy.

I believe you can extend your travel funds for something like $100 fee which is taken out of the balance of the travel funds? Don't know if that is still the case.

It's from when you originally purchased your plane ticket. It doesn't have to do with how old your oldest credit is. At least they give you credits back rather than you just eating the cost of paying a higher plane ticket.

Again they are based off of when you purchased your original plane ticket. If they grouped them all together they would have to change their policy on expiration dates. The way they do it now with the confirmation numbers is how they keep track of your credits. Grouping them together would only work for those who travel one time in a 365 day period from the date of their original purchase of the plane ticket. If you fly more than that and have travel funds from more than one flight then grouping them together wouldn't work under the current policy.

I should have been more specific. I know that the expiration date is from when you originally purchased your plane ticket. My point was if you have a $5 credit that expires 1/1/2018 and you buy a $200 ticket today and apply that $5 credit the new ticket will still expire 1/1/2018 even though 98% of ticket was paid with cash today.

In my case my credits were all expiring the same date so I wouldn't even mind if they combined them by date. I guess most people don't rebook the lower rate as often as I do or move tickets as often.

I should have been more specific. I know that the expiration date is from when you originally purchased your plane ticket. My point was if you have a $5 credit that expires 1/1/2018 and you buy a $200 ticket today and apply that $5 credit the new ticket will still expire 1/1/2018 even though 98% of ticket was paid with cash today.

In my case my credits were all expiring the same date so I wouldn't even mind if they combined them by date. I guess most people don't rebook the lower rate as often as I do or move tickets as often.
Your ticket you purchased today wouldn't expire 1/1/2018--your $5 credit would though assuming you originally bought the ticket where the $5 credit came from on 1/1/2017.

What ticket you apply your credit to is up to you so long as you use it by the expiration date or extend it via the fee.

You could purchase a $200 ticket today for a flight next July and in 3 months a sale comes along and you rebook for a lower fare. Random number but let's say you get a $25 credit. You would now have until 11/2/2018 to use that $25 credit.

You could purchase a $200 ticket this Saturday for a flight happening on Christmas but use the $5 credit you had that expires 1/1/2018. That ticket for Christmas that was partially bought with the $5 travel funds wouldn't have any bearing on the July flight as that $25 credit would still have a 11/2/2018 expiration date. It's why you need the confirmation number of your flight to apply travel funds.

Your ticket you purchased today wouldn't expire 1/1/2018--your $5 credit would though assuming you originally bought the ticket where the $5 credit came from on 1/1/2017.

In my experience, the entire ticket (if unused) takes the expiration date of 1/1/2018. Any future credits from rebooking, such as the $25 credit you mention, would also have an expiration date of 1/1/2018. I've rolled over several tickets this year (to new dates) and each time the credits have all had the same expiration date even when I had to add extra cash to cover the new ticket. It also states on their website that if multiple forms of payment are used (cash & a previous credit) the earliest expiration date of all forms of payment applies. Perhaps you have had a different experience. Either way I'm only sharing my experience with Southwest credits from multiple flights in 2017.

What ticket you apply your credit to is up to you so long as you use it by the expiration date or extend it via the fee.

You could purchase a $200 ticket today for a flight next July and in 3 months a sale comes along and you rebook for a lower fare. Random number but let's say you get a $25 credit. You would now have until 11/2/2018 to use that $25 credit.

You could purchase a $200 ticket this Saturday for a flight happening on Christmas but use the $5 credit you had that expires 1/1/2018. That ticket for Christmas that was partially bought with the $5 travel funds wouldn't have any bearing on the July flight as that $25 credit would still have a 11/2/2018 expiration date. It's why you need the confirmation number of your flight to apply travel funds.

In the scenario you've outlined, you are correct, but I believe that iivye may be thinking of a different scenario.

If you buy a $200 Christmas ticket today and use that $5 credit that expires on 1/1/18, all is fine, as you stated, UNTIL you cancel that Christmas flight for some reason. At that point, you'll get a $200 credit, but the credits (comprised of a $5 credit and a $195 credit) will both have an expiration date of 1/1/18. Expiration dates for all credits on a reservation pick up the date of the oldest credit used on the reservation, OR one year from the date of the original purchase if no credits were used.

Steve

abc Channel 12 News is stating the Southwest is saying good bye to Flint, Michigan - Bishop International airport(FNT).
June 6,2018.
Sad , people always packed at the gates. More so than the other airlines there.

In my experience, the entire ticket (if unused) takes the expiration date of 1/1/2018. Any future credits from rebooking, such as the $25 credit you mention, would also have an expiration date of 1/1/2018. I've rolled over several tickets this year (to new dates) and each time the credits have all had the same expiration date even when I had to add extra cash to cover the new ticket. It also states on their website that if multiple forms of payment are used (cash & a previous credit) the earliest expiration date of all forms of payment applies. Perhaps you have had a different experience. Either way I'm only sharing my experience with Southwest credits from multiple flights in 2017.
You don't have to get snarky (your last line). I was just commenting on my understanding (we've used travel funds before ourselves). In the end it could be like Fangorn was explaining in that we were talking about two different scenarios.

In the scenario you've outlined, you are correct, but I believe that iivye may be thinking of a different scenario.

If you buy a $200 Christmas ticket today and use that $5 credit that expires on 1/1/18, all is fine, as you stated, UNTIL you cancel that Christmas flight for some reason. At that point, you'll get a $200 credit, but the credits (comprised of a $5 credit and a $195 credit) will both have an expiration date of 1/1/18. Expiration dates for all credits on a reservation pick up the date of the oldest credit used on the reservation, OR one year from the date of the original purchase if no credits were used.

Steve
Thanks that makes a bit more sense :) That's probably where the misunderstanding was coming from as our line of thinking was in two different ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!